Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
l.a. café crawl -- surprising results
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > l.a. café crawl...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Gusto
Gusto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Bodum...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 9:20am
Subject: Re: l.a. café crawl -- surprising results

I think people are coming down on H-Man a little rough here.  This guy drives all the way to LA and gives his honest opinion of a couple of well known shops in the area, and it seems like people are taking offense where it need not be.  Here we have a fellow CG'er going to what is supposed to be some of LA's hot spots for coffee.  Everyone knows you can even go into $bucks and tell them, "I want this, this, this and this," and you'll get it.  I think what H-Man is saying is that he had certain expectations and was slightly let down.  Judging by his experience and description, I would say justly so.  

It's interesting that other CG'ers are kind of harping on this and not agreeing with him????  

Let me say that I've been to each one of these places and haven't been disappointed.  That doesn't mean I don't want someone else's perspective on things, especially someone as devoted (if not more devoted) to coffee than myself.  

As far as Klatch is concerned, I've been there a couple of times and been pleased.  I'm with H-Man in saying that if you are a nationally recognized coffee shop with a NATIONAL CHAMPION barista, the bar is probably going to be set pretty high there.  As it should be.  When I walk into a shop like Intelly or Klatch I am expecting the best, not what I can get everywhere else.  Everyone on here knows that shops have to survive and have to appeal to local tastes, but look at Cafe Luxxe.  Luxxe is thriving and offering a sweat cappa (8oz).  I think H-Man says it best when he says if you believe in something, you'll be successful in it.  When I was at Intelly this past weekend (line out the door), I saw some people with huge lattes and mochas, and I saw other people sipping straight espressos.  If the supposed 3rd wave is going to take it to the next notch, it's not going to be just giving the people the same old, same old.

Gusto
 View Profile Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:03am

Gusto Said:

I think H-Man says it best when he says if you believe in something, you'll be successful in it.

Posted September 17, 2007 link

The bankruptcy courts are full of business people who thought that was enough. It isn't. It never was and never will be.

Coffee shops are run by human beings who are trying to earn a living for their families, while building a business they can feel proud of. A relative handful of those people are also striving for the highest excellence in coffee, which some people call "Third Wave." But, even Third Wave people must deal with certain business realities.

To not understand the difference between the Montana Ave. market and the Arrow Highway market is to commit business suicide. Caffe Luxxe in its present form would last approximately 30 seconds on the Arrow Highway, which is why Mark did not locate there. Instead of sniping at them for making their standard milk proportions local-friendly, we should be celebrating the Perry family for creating an oasis of quality in an unexpected place that (Edit) for many years outdid anything in North Beach or Greenwich Village. (It has been good to hear how things have improved in Greenwich Village.)

Marshall
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:42am

MarshallF Said:

The bankruptcy courts are full of business people who thought that was enough. It isn't. It never was and never will be.

That's kind of building a relationship where there may not be one.  The bankruptcy courts are full of people of oall stripes, usually those who's eyes are bigger than their wallets.  There are quite a few folk out there that are making it on their passion skills.  I know, I'm one of them. I make a fair living doing what I want to do, saying 'no, thank you' to anyone that wants me do anything else, and doing no advertising whatsoever. My passion for what I do fuels the quality of my work, and those that want quality work search me out.  In much the same way that I searched for 'Blue Bottle' stuck in an alley where the cab drivers had a hard time finding them (the line gave them away), and much the same way that I came of the 5 to make it to 'Barefoot'.  They refused (refused!) to put a doppio in a paper cup, and I left the shop admiring them for it. Not quite what you'd call you average 'customer is always right' business model.
"Build a better mousetrap", and all that.  No one has ever had any great successes doing what everyone else is already doing.  No one of any note, anyway.

Harry, you've always told it like it is; I see no reason to change that now.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
Gusto
Gusto

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Bodum...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:02am

I was just waiting for that response...

MarshallF Said:

Marshall

This may be true, but now you are just missing the point.  You can mock my business savviness all you want, but you're still off the mark.  The point about what H-Man is saying AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND IT is that he was disappointed in his experience.  He wasn't asking anyone what he should have done.  Obviously the man knows his coffee.  What he was saying is there was an obvious difference in his expectations and the reality of his visit.  

harrymanback Said:

i ordered two double capp's, and what came out were two huge drinks -- i mean bigger-than-a-latte huge!  i then noticed the menu board stated a single comes as 12oz, a double 16 oz, and a cappuccino is a 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 frothed milk drink -- wtf?!?!  i know for a fact this wasn't how heather perry was serving up her competition capp's (saw her in petaluma...great performance, obviously).  so how is this how they do it up in their shop?  starbuck's sizes in the shop and competition sizes at competitions?  and what's with that new math?  very weird.

harry.

p.s.  couple other things on klatch ......   sadly, one other negative point: while this roast was dated two days ago, they did have product on the shelf going back over two weeks.  honestly, i don't know what to make of this café given their proven competition chops vs. in-house standards.

Posted September 16, 2007 link

Is this what we're supposed to expect from one of the supposed top-notch coffee houses in the United States?  Let me reiterate again that I've only had good experiences at Klatch.  I'm not in any way saying that I would not go there and order a drink right now.  I just don't appreciate when I see people putting other people down for their honest opinions.  Especially that remark, now deleted, about SLO was way off camber.  

We all know and respect the coffee business and their owners.  Obviously we want them to survive.  But I think there's nothing wrong with expecting the best from a place that's supposed to be just that.  

Sorry about the rant, but I just can't stand disrespect to people that don't deserve it.  This is supposed to be a place where people can share their opinions and experiences, not be chastised over them.
ckheather

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:20am

Thanks everybody for making the trek to come and see us and for your feedback, it will definitely help us continue to improve.  As far as the older coffee goes, as much as we try and rotate the coffees, customers always go for the freshest leaving the week old coffee to continue to sit there.  Our policy is to pull coffee off the shelves after 17 days, but we do miss stuff :(

Concerning the larger lattes, our standards are what you saw on the menu, 12oz single, 16oz double, and 20oz triple.  I understand that is not traditional, but it is what our market warrants.  I am all for the third wave coffee houses and doing traditional drinks, as we do if you just would have asked, but I don't think that third wave means I'm too good to make the drinks my customers are asking for.  We try and do a lot of events to educate our customers and get them to try new and different things, but at the end of the day I'm not above serving a 20 Vanilla Capp, and it will be the best Vanilla Capp they've had.  Third Wave should be a commitment to coffee excellence, not being too good to make a big drink.

As far as in house standards vs. competition standards goes, in both settings I'm appealing to a completely different set of judges, so I adapt accordingly.  As far as the Swift goes, all of our baristas our trained to use a manual grinder, but we do find a Swift helps to pull consistent shots resulting in better drinks.  We do have a pretty stringent training, but mistakes are still made and a swift helps to alleviate some of those mistakes.

We've been in business for 15 years and have learned such an enormous amount I wouldn't even know where to start.  As we learn we try to implement in our stores as much as we can.  Some things our customers respond to well and other things just don't go over well.  I think every coffee house should meet the needs of its community, and that is really what we try to do.  We are trying out best to raise coffee awareness in our community.  As far as the difference in Intelligentsia's standards at the Silverlake store vs. ours, we are not even remotely in the same market so we are very different.  

I do hope if you make it back out our way you give us another try.  We really are trying to serve great coffee to our customers, and we are sorry we missed the mark with you.  If anyone has any complaints or issues or questions, please feel free to call me at 951-318-6947.  That is my cell.  We want to do the best we can and while we aren't ready to change our drink size standards, we can definitely make improvements.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Heather
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 12:34pm

ckheather Said:

....I don't think that third wave means I'm too good to make the drinks my customers are asking for.  We try and do a lot of events to educate our customers and get them to try new and different things, but at the end of the day I'm not above serving a 20 Vanilla Capp, and it will be the best Vanilla Capp they've had.  Third Wave should be a commitment to coffee excellence, not being too good to make a big drink.

Well said Ms. Perry

I'm a big fan of yours.  GREAT JOB at the USBC and WBC and congrats on both!!
I've watched your WBC performance a few times, it's very inspiring to me.  

If I come to SoCal anytime soon I will definately make a point of visiting Coffee Klatch....I'll be drinking straight shots and traditional cappa's and hanging out and chatting with whomever is working if it's not too busy.  

Thanks for posting!
Jon

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rocktageous

Grinder: Bunn G1
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Many
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 3:46pm

Gusto Said:

I think people are coming down on H-Man a little rough here.  This guy drives all the way to LA and gives his honest opinion of a couple of well known shops in the area, and it seems like people are taking offense where it need not be.

Who's being rough on the original poster? Honest opinions keep the CG forums relevant.

As for Coffee Klatch, I would expect a cafe run by a barista champion to at least offer traditional sized coffee drinks, but I would also never expect a cafe in San Dimas to have the look and feel of a cafe on Montana or in Silverlake. Extremely different consumer bases. Marshall is also very correct that a quality business is not guaranteed to thrive on quality alone. I've been in Starbucks at 1 am that are far more crowded than I've ever seen the 2nd and Main Groundwork get.
gabelucas
gabelucas
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Lazer Wolf
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Santos Vacuum pot mini
Drip: bodum eileen french press
Roaster: 1918 Probat 15 kilo
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 4:41pm
Subject: Re: 3rd Wave "Look and Feel"

MarshallF Said:

So, what is a 3rd Wave coffee house supposed to look and feel like? Someone's garage? Italian contemporary? Craftsman revival? Slick wood and stainless steel? A laptop factory? A cart on the sidewalk? I've seen all of these. I never detected a common look or feel. The only common theme was a commitment to excellent coffee.

Marshall

Oh, as someone who has been involved in this thing called "3rd wave" I think we all know what these shops look like.

Gabriel Boscana
Ritual Coffee Roasters
San Francisco, CA
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 5:26pm

gabelucas Said:

Oh, as someone who has been involved in this thing called "3rd wave" I think we all know what these shops look like.

You mean like this? (Cafe Europa - photo by "E-83" on Flickr):

MarshallF: Cafe Europa 4.JPG
(Click for larger image)
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2007, 5:54pm

wow, guess i got a few people going.  thanks for both the supportive and firey comments -- especially yours, miss perry.  the fact that you rock so absolutely is probably why my expectations were so high.  welcome to the forums, and you still rock for that response.

i won't comment too much more because i think i've pretty much said all that i need to.  basically, i'm just a cappuccino snob (competition variety).  i never liked coffee at all until i found what a good capp can taste like.  that's why getting such a super-sized version at klatch shocked me, as did the old roasts.

the comments about what the local market is like i can't say too much about since i'm not from 'round these parts.  all i can say is from my own personal experience: never liked traditional american roasts, never liked espresso-based drinks unless they were super sweetened and super milky...and then i had a good cappuccino.  and now you're all stuck with me and my polarized opinions.  ; }

my prejudice comes from my own experiences.  if i went from hating bad coffee to loving good coffee, why can't everyone?  maybe it's not always that simple.  starbuck's did a lot by bringing the word "espresso" into the american vernacular, but they also did a lot of damage by changing the definitions of macchiato, cappuccino, and latte.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > l.a. café crawl...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392538785934)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+