Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Notable Espresso/Coffee Houses in Phoenix/Tucson areas
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Notable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JeffPersson
JeffPersson
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II & TWIST v2
Grinder: SM90, Preciso, Porlex, PeDe...
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: trifectaMB, HG, Chemex...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 28, 2008, 11:25am
Subject: Re: Notable Espresso/Coffee Houses in Phoenix/Tucson areas

Well when I talk about barbeque I mean slow cooked at a low temperature in the presense of wood smoke. If that's what you are referring to as "sticking a hunk of meat covered in spices and sauce into a fire" then I would appreciate an explanation of what you consider to be barbeque. If its throwing brats and german sausages on a grill and cooking out I would consider that grilling, not barbeque. American barbeque is a far closer cousin to traditional Caribbean "dug in the ground" pit barbeque than cooking German sausages on a high heat grill is.

My wife plans to sign me up for the first season of Coffee Gadget Hoarders.
 View Profile Link to this post
RayT

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 29, 2008, 8:14pm

Restaurants too?

Restaurant 28 (or 29 - I forget).

You gotta know where it's at to find it.

Southeast plaza of 51st and Olive in Phoenix or Glendale. Very small place ran by a gentleman from North Carolina. Q is okay, but not necessarily a specialty. Soul food as you westerners seem to call it, or just good southern cooking as I'm accustomed to calling it, but it's good no matter what you call it.

I'm wanting to buy a vac/pot. Do any of these local joints sell a decent one? I'd like to have it this weekend and skip the shipping (taxes vs. shipping? At least local there's less of a wait).
JeffPersson
JeffPersson

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II & TWIST v2
Grinder: SM90, Preciso, Porlex, PeDe...
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: trifectaMB, HG, Chemex...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 30, 2008, 12:10am

Not sure about the other places, but Ground Control only had press pots.

I called it soul food, because that's what the owners of the place call it. Good food no matter what ya call it though. 5395 West Soul Food Place

<sarcasm> BTW, I'm a transplant from Florida as of 5 years ago so I'm still not a westerner. I can prove it too, cuz I eat grits and say yall. :) </sarcasm>

My wife plans to sign me up for the first season of Coffee Gadget Hoarders.
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2008, 8:01pm

JeffPersson Said:

<sarcasm> BTW, I'm a transplant from Florida as of 5 years ago so I'm still not a westerner. I can prove it too, cuz I eat grits and say yall. :) </sarcasm>

Posted May 30, 2008 link

Wait, I say y'all and eat grits!  What does that make me?  BTW, I can eve pluralise it correctly to 'all y'all'.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2008, 2:03pm

Psyd Said:

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the closure of one of the potential greats,

Posted April 24, 2008 link

The news is not so bad this time.  Of those mentioned earlier, the 'Crave Espressobar' on Broadway has also closed, but was adopted by Aaron form 'Safehouse',  and re-opened.  Seeing as it's the same staff (mostly, Miss you Kim!) and Aaron was her roaster anyhoo, things may still be fairly similar there.  Since the place is so different from the Safehouse, things may change dramatically.  One thing that will certainly stay the same is that the coffee won't suck.

Oh, and Jeff?  Painting meat red and putting it in a fire is grilling.  Barbecue is a noun, not a verb.  You and I are in agreement as to what is, and what is not barbecue.  I'm gonna drop in unannounced one day, and I expect pork butt.  Or brisket.  ; >

alsterling
alsterling

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Wed Sep 24, 2008, 6:16pm

OK.......so I'm in Tucson right now, relaxing in the late afternoon and doing some business email catch up. Chris, as you know, I called you earlier just to touch base. Right after, my wife and I drove downtown so I could visit one of my accounts. I asked one of the young ladies in purchasing if she knew of a decent coffee house close...........her recommendation was:

Chocolate Iguana, 500 E. 4th Ave., Tucson

So we went over there. My wife ordered a vegetarian sandwich and I ordered a cappuccino. I saw that they were running Illy in large commercial bags, mounted atop their grinders, with a generic espresso HX machine with Illy nameplates. Bottom line, the final drink wasn't bitter. I say that because my wife was the one that wanted some coffee, and in her own words, "I'd just as soon go to a Starbucks, because I at least know what I'm going to get!" I somewhat have to agree. That's why I don't get excited anymore when visiting even the best or most recommended shops. I have said before......I can count on one hand the number of coffee shops I've visited that consistently serve good product. That's just me. By the way, the sandwich was good, and as with many shops, Chocolate Iguana also inventories Dryer's Ice Cream, a variety of good looking bakery sweets, and as advertised in their name, CHOCOLATE and candy confections. Not a bad afternoon sweet-stop.

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:52pm

Psyd Said:

...the 'Crave Espressobar' on Broadway has also closed, but was adopted by Aaron form 'Safehouse',  and re-opened.  Seeing as it's the same staff (mostly, Miss you Kim!) and Aaron was her roaster anyhoo, things may still be fairly similar there.  Since the place is so different from the Safehouse, things may change dramatically.  One thing that will certainly stay the same is that the coffee won't suck.

Posted August 31, 2008 link

Well, alsterling and I got to meet up in a dash to try the new 'Crave' this morning.  the roast was familiar, but the service was a bit less-than-astonishing.  We got our 'macchiato' in a sixteen ounce paper cup.  We had both ordered a traditional cappuccino, ad the initial response was, "Sixteen or twenty ounce?"  Not comforting.  The next thing was the poodle-like merengue-puff on the top of this, wallowing halfway down  the paper chalice.  Gone are the nice cups that Kim used to serve in, although there are some coffee mugs still hanging out on the top of the old Magister, and a few espresso cups and saucers still hanging out.  
The barista seemed less-than-confident, and really didn't seem to understand a traditional cappuccino, and referring to it as 'their macchiato' when we described it didn't inspire confidence either.  It wasn't horrible, but it was just tolerable.  I noticed that Al didn't finish his, and mine was finished pretty much as a force of habit.
Kim's 'Crave' wasn't necessarily the best coffee shop in the city, but it was probably in the top five, if not the top three, and now it's not even holding it's own against it's sister shop, the 'Safehouse'.  Could be new staff, could be new management, I'll give 'em a month or two and stop in again.
I'm just a guy that lucked into some decent kit and has paid attention on some coffee fora, so if you're making a living and I can kick yer butt, you should be working lots harder and lots faster to pull better shots than mine if you want to take my three bucks offa me at any kind of a regular interval.

alsterling
alsterling

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2008, 8:27am

Psyd Said:

Well, alsterling and I got to meet up in a dash to try the new 'Crave' this morning...............

Posted September 25, 2008 link

Chris, thanks for meeting up with me. As you described, the coffee was no surprise, and I didn't tell you that I watched the young lady steam-boil the milk..........it overflowed at one point and she wiped off the pitcher as the "big bubbles" traveled down the sides. Oh well. My biggest dissappointment was not so much the poorly prepared coffee, but the "attitude" of the workers. They're so poorly trained, that they can't tell the difference in customer reaction based on their lack of coffee talents from their poor customer service skills. I have to say that in my opinion, it's not their fault as much as the owner-manager. But again, here's an opportunity for "in shop" consulting and training for retailers. (...more like "Kitchen Nightmares" with Gordan Ramsey!)

I don't know if you noticed, but their bakery cooler was nearly bare, which to me is a sign that the owner doesn't give a damn, is unorganized, or is out of cash. In either case, it's just bad retailing. But if their goal is to barely break even or slowly go out of business, then they're meeting their goals. A typical defensive line from someone like this is, "Well, the overhead here is really low, so we're lucky." (and I bet the overhead IS really low. But the frickin' sign on the building probably cost 3 times more than the damn expresso machine and grinder put together!) So much for priorities.

One of the very good things about "Chocolate Iguana" in downtown on 4th, is that their small square footage shop is heavily stocked with all sorts of stuff.......primarily candies. I've always said that it's better to have a reduced space stocked to the ceiling with clean, fresh inventory, than to have a large retailing space half empty. Iguana benefits from fresh sandwiches and ice cream too. While I don't agree with their Illy setup provided by the coffee vendor, the finished product was actually less offensive than most other untrained shops. And true to form, their "20'ish" gals behind the counter were predictably "Goth-attitude types." (Boy, now there's a personality you'd like to have around the house, right?!)

All that aside, I really enjoyed meeting you, and hope to be back in Tucson soon. I still have work to do over there. Make sure to tell your friend about our family in Minas Gerais. Our family is also in the state of Goias. We have family in Brasilia, Goiania and Uberlandia. That's why on trips back I'm usually traveling to the South of Minas and the coffee farms. Our close friends here in Laguna Niguel, own a family coffee farm in Sur de Minais. (Fazenda Bela Vista, Concircao do Rio Verde, Near Carmo and Sao Lorenzo) Your friend should know the area. As I said, these are really small towns and everyone seems to know everyone.

Member No.12047 - SCAA
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2008, 11:37am

alsterling Said:

I don't know if you noticed, but their bakery cooler was nearly bare, which to me is a sign that the owner doesn't give a damn, is unorganized, or is out of cash.

Make sure to tell your friend about our family in Minas Gerais.

Posted September 29, 2008 link

I did notice, and remarked on it.  Remember that this was a coffee shop that had 'gone under' and was up on the block for almost nothing, as in 'take over payments'.  The old owner really had a bit more coffee pride, and the new owner is a roaster, so I was surprised at the quality of the product.  I'm guessing that they're still having a few issues with the transition.  Like I said elsewhere, I'm willing to give 'em a few weeks to get it together, and then go back for another look.
And I've already told my bud, and he says that his fam is from that area as well.  The details should narrow it down.  I bet there's a cenutries long family feud between the two!  ; >

alsterling
alsterling

Posted Mon Sep 29, 2008, 1:21pm

Psyd Said:

........ I bet there's a cenutries long family feud between the two!  ; >

Posted September 29, 2008 link

Chris, between who?

Member No.12047 - SCAA
showing page 3 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Notable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343752145767)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+