Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Carmel/Monterey-area:
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mobleyfan
mobleyfan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 11, 2007, 3:05pm
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area:

Add to that Tacos Moreno...

Gusto Said:

Thanks Mobleyfan,

I've seen Coffeetopia.  Will look up the previous posts, Coffee Kat, and Lulu's.  Yet ANOTHER reason to find myself in Santa Cruz.  Vallarta's, the beach, the redwoods.... what else could you ask for????

Gusto

Posted May 11, 2007 link

View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sat May 12, 2007, 7:23pm

passionateone Said:

Cafe Noir in Monterey: Intelligencia beans, Faema triple head, fine late art, Old school Italian customer base.  Empty Doser, twenty five second pulls, My first taste of Black Cat...

Posted May 7, 2007 link

I've never had a Black Cat espresso that was pulled on a commercial espresso machine so headed over to Monterey to Cafe Noir to find out. Nice coffee house.

GaryH: CafeNoir1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat May 12, 2007, 7:24pm

Double 2oz Black Cat was pretty decent. Espresso had low body and after two sips the crema was gone. Don't know if that is normal for Black Cat. Beans were five days after roast. I enjoyed the complexity of the espresso but to my taste not in the same league as Blue Bottle or Ritual. Still easily best espresso I've had in the Monterey area. Cafe Noir is a pretty coffee house with plenty of parking and availability of Black Cat beans, so I will definately be back.

GaryH: CafeNoir2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat May 12, 2007, 7:25pm

Bought a pound of Black Cat and at home pulled a sweet double 1oz ristretto with good complexity but also low body. Similar flavor profile compared to the shot I had at Cafe Noir.

GaryH: CafeNoir3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Dinosaur_Hotel
Dinosaur_Hotel
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun May 13, 2007, 12:01am

GaryH Said:

Bought a pound of Black Cat and at home pulled a sweet double 1oz ristretto with good complexity but also low body. Similar flavor profile compared to the shot I had at Cafe Noir.

Posted May 12, 2007 link

nice to hear good stuff about my work.

lucy (in the picture) pours some of the best drinks there. cirilo also pours great drinks.

glad our cafe could be of good service to you.

*picks up burnt muffin tin*
*throws burnt muffin at you*
*runs away*
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Sun May 13, 2007, 8:26am

GaryH Said:

Beans were five days after roast. I enjoyed the complexity of the espresso but to my taste not in the same league as Blue Bottle or Ritual. Still easily best espresso I've had in the Monterey area. Cafe Noir is a pretty coffee house with plenty of parking and availability of Black Cat beans, so I will definately be back.

Posted May 12, 2007 link

Gary,

Your entrys for cafe visits are always welcome.  Your montages are sweet.  I too had the privilage of drinking Lucy's cap.  I stand by my previous superlative accolades about Cafe Noir.  Did you get a sticker?

RIP
ManthriSrinath

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Various
Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 8:16am

Hi there everyone. I own Lulu Carpenter's in Santa Cruz and Coffee Cat in Scotts Valley. Just want to let you know we have a new espresso bar also in downtown Santa Cruz called Lulu's at the Octagon. The focus is on single origin coffees and espressos. We have a LM Mistral and a Clover as well. And yes, some lovely ACF cups that Sebastian sent our way. Our featured espresso right now is Indian Monsooned Malabar (Josuma). Pretty red cup, syrupy and sweet. Thanks.
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 1:01pm

ManthriSrinath Said:

Hi there everyone. I own Lulu Carpenter's in Santa Cruz and Coffee Cat in Scotts Valley. Just want to let you know we have a new espresso bar also in downtown Santa Cruz called Lulu's at the Octagon. The focus is on single origin coffees and espressos. We have a LM Mistral and a Clover as well. And yes, some lovely ACF cups that Sebastian sent our way. Our featured espresso right now is Indian Monsooned Malabar (Josuma). Pretty red cup, syrupy and sweet. Thanks.

Posted May 18, 2007 link

With words like that I hopped in the car and drove over the hill to beautiful down town Santa Cruz to check out Lulu's at the Octagon.

GaryH: Lulus1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 1:04pm

Lulu's is in a beautiful octagon shaped building. The skylight in the middle of the building lets in lots of daylight.

GaryH: Lulus2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 1:05pm

Pulling shots with the naked PFs on the Mistral.

GaryH: Lulus3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361177921295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+