Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Tucson Coffee Experience
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Tucson Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
LambrettaMan
LambrettaMan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 / Europiccola
Grinder: Macap
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007, 4:15pm
Subject: Re: Tucson Coffee Experience

Nice to see the nice comments about our neighbors at Crave. (We own the motorscooter dealership next door.) Kim's pastries are truly amazing ... I think our employees spend a sizeable chunk of their paychecks at Crave. They pull a nice shot.

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007, 6:12pm

LambrettaMan Said:

(We own the motorscooter dealership next door.)

Posted August 5, 2007 link

I've told her that you guys should work out a deal.  Baristi are constantly having transportation problems, and scooter mechanics are always drinking horrible coffee.  That front table is a perfect place to display a small custom ('Quadraphenic') scoot, and a 'free' drink at the neighbors while you wait for service is the best way to keep riders from dog-earing your magazines!  ; >
Crave, along with all the other decent coffee shops in town, have to keep their game good, as there is yet another contender in 'Caffe Luce'.  Roasters, with a La Marzocco GB5 under the hood, these guys are doing great shots (I'm of the opinion that there are four decent shops in this town, with them being the fourth, but I don't get out as often as I could) and great beans.
I'll still drop by 'Crave' for beans and shots, as she and her staff are nice, the place is nice, and the coffee is 'real', but with three choices to get beans now, it'll have to be a bit of a rotation!  Unfortunately, I'll only drool in your window as I pedal by...

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
foxts

Espresso: Gaggia Baby D
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Drip: it is black with a timer
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2007, 3:21pm

Nice to see a coffee culture alive in Tucson.  

I am new to this with a week old expresso machine. (Baby D) and my first non-$19 grinder arriving tomorrow. (you folks talked/posted me into a "MINI")

As far as stocking your home stash.  Are the beans I can get at the local coffee houses better than the stuff avail online?  LIke Blackcat, Redline, Kido. or even the bulk at Coffeebeansdirect?

Are they fresher?  better/worse?  More/less expensive?  

I ran into the CoffeeVein last week and the woman working there was soo nice and helpful.  I will go back for sure for a cup while I am working, but is it worth it for buying beans for the home?
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2007, 12:09pm

foxts Said:

As far as stocking your home stash.  Are the beans I can get at the local coffee houses better than the stuff avail online?  LIke Blackcat, Redline, Kido. or even the bulk at Coffeebeansdirect?

Are they fresher?  better/worse?  More/less expensive?  

Posted August 8, 2007 link

They're, well, different. The Vein used to have Larry's (Rocket Roasters) coffee, but he up and quit (somewhat mysteriously) and Vanelli's is roasting his coffee for the Vein right now.  Last I heard, the last batch wasn't very good, but the most recent wasn't bad, and was possibly great.  I'm tuning some of the 'not so good' batch at the moment, so I'll reserve personal judgement.  I will try their next batch, too.
Caffe Luce has treated me well, I've had their milk preferenced coffee, but have yet to try their espresso favored blend. The version of Roaster X's coffee that Crave uses for espresso works well for me, too, and the decaf there is almost acceptable.  High marks for any decaf espresso blend.
We've got local talent that will supply your daily needs.  There will always be better coffees available when you have the world to pick from, as opposed to your own neighborhood, but buy locally when you can, is my motto.  I do occasionally outsource my espresso blends, but mostly find what is on my bike route for todays errands when I need coffee.  Shipping coffee is usually in the neighbor hood of four bucks a pound.  Unless you are going through more than a pound a week it usually isn't worth it, other than to get the occasional special treat.

foxts

Espresso: Gaggia Baby D
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Drip: it is black with a timer
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007, 9:50am

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.   I am going to work my way through the local places and see what they all have to offer.  I am all about giving the local business my dollars, if they bring a good product to the marketplace.  

thanks again.
Psyd
Psyd

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007, 7:16pm

foxts Said:

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  

Posted August 11, 2007 link

It's all pretty selfish, really. If the locals don't get the business, I have to shop by mail!  ; >

Anytime, my brother!  I have nothing but opinions, but you're welcome to them.

Augsburg57
Augsburg57

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A
Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 8:23am

Hello fellow coffee geeks.  Since this thread ran it course a few years ago, Tucson now (2013) benefits from more great espresso and coffee houses.  

After trying several, our personal favorites are:

Exo Roast  ( http://www.exocoffee.com ) located at 403 North 6th Avenue, Tucson, AZ  85705, 520-777-4709

Cartel Coffee ( http://www.cartelcoffeelab.com ), multiple locations
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 9:41am

I haven't been to Cartel, but since I'm drinking some of their current Costa Rica right now I thought I'd mention that it's delicious.
temple
temple
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 8:17am

dohfoh Said:

This reply is (ahem) several YEARS late, but it's only because I think it's worth mentioning that the very recently opened Crave Espresso Bar serves rather amazing espresso.

craveespressobar.com

Posted April 30, 2007 link

I think you mean www.cravecoffeebar.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Tucson Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283486127853)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+