Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Coffee Klatch (L.A. area) -- disappointed
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Coffee Klatch...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ckroaster

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: La Marzocco GB5
Grinder: Robar
Roaster: diedrich 24k
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010, 10:45am
Subject: Re: Coffee Klatch (L.A. area) -- disappointed

Mike here from Klatch Coffee Roasting.  

I would like to answer some of the new comments.  First, I want to thank all who comment, good and bad, as we learn from all of them.  I would also encourage you to tell the barista youíre a coffee geek website member and wanted to give us a try, plus share what they do good and bad.  And of course you are always welcome to email me direct at mike@klatchroasting.com

That said, as for espresso, we run manually to where we feel the shot should be pulled, not a ristretto or lungo (but if that is what you desire simply order and we can prepare that way).  Our standard shot is about an ounce each but will vary by how the espresso is running that day.

As for a double being served in a cap cup.  Our cups are 5-1/2 oz, not 7 oz.  We serve the double in this cup by choice since the espresso cup is about 2+ oz and Heather prefers to be able to swirl her espresso around and a double in a single espresso cup does not give you that flexibility.  Plus some people like to add sugar (I personally believe our espresso needs no sugar that that is another subject...lol) and the single cup makes that difficult.  So again, we do so by choice but as a customer, if you are served something you do not like please return and ask barista to prepare per you liking and in desired cup.  While we serve the way we like, we are not so strict to tell you too bad, take it or leave.  

Coffee dates.   We try to date every coffee when roasted (yea, we could miss one every so often).   All coffee is vacuum packed after roasting and delivered to our stores a day or two later.   Because we date every coffee, some people check dates (like milk in a grocery store) and take the freshest; this can lead to an older date on the shelf.  We offer many wonderful coffees but get more complaints we are out of something than it is not fresh roasted.  Itís a balancing act that sometime we are out of a coffee and other days it can be almost 3 weeks as we pull them after 20 days.  We deliver to our own stores every week, same as most of our wholesale customer.  Despite carrying up to 30 different coffees in our stores (between espressos, decafs, organics, direct trade, FTO, etc) we do not carry every coffee and the manager has the flexibility to order what they want.  Long explanation but hope it makes sense.   As a side note, we have blind cupped our own coffee from 3 days to 6 weeks with no perceptible difference and I invite those who have not done so to take the same test.  The difference we find is the fresher will stay better longer once opened to the elements than the older date.  

Now to the subject I must take issue with, the Esmeralda.  It is current crop, we ran out of previous crop a long time ago.  I personally cannot cup every production batch but I have cupped the Esmeralda every batch as I love it so much.  All have been great.  No, the Esmeralda does not taste like normal coffee.  That is why it set a new record this year at $170 per pound.  Our lot, Mario Carnival, is from same picking and area of the farm (by Mario's House) as the record lot, and we believe it clearly is the best.  In fact, we used coffee from the same batch date (based on previous comments and date) to win 'Best of Brew' at the Ultimate Barista Challenge held at the Western Foodservice Show in LA.  It was the unanimous winner by every judge over a very good coffee from another roaster mentioned in this thread.   I know taste is personal; some may not like Ethiopian naturals or other unique flavors, but the Esmeralda Rocks! For those not familiar with this coffee, it has been described as liquid fruit loops.  I personally describe as "Floral, citrus, honey and fruit on the nose [ fragrance and aroma ] that carries all into the palate with sweet lemon orange citrus acidity, floral honeysuckle, fruit notes of cherry and slight berry, tropical flavors and stone fruit [ peach ], with a very sweet and pleasing aftertaste." It also has tea like qualities.  

As for brewed offerings.  Our Ontario location does Fetco brewed before 11am plus brew bar after that and all day.  Rancho Cucamonga (newly remodeled) does Bru Bar only.  San Dimas does Fetco, Bru Bar, and Clover all day.  And of course all locations offer full espresso menu.

Hope this answers any questions and Thanks again for the comments.   Please feel free to contact me directly if a particular personal question you desire a quick answer as I don't check the threads too often.  

mike
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kamera

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Chemex, V60, Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 26, 2010, 8:22am

Mike,

Thanks for your reply!  You're a stand up guy.  I imagine that it's got to be hard to try and please all the people, especially people as demanding as the Coffee Geek crowd.  But you do a better job than most.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010, 12:30pm

I must say that Klatch is right up there with the best in service and quality. There are only a few places I will go for coffee in SoCal.
Klatch, www.klatchroasting.com

Kean, http://www.keancoffee.com/

Intelly http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

and a small place in Seal Beach, Bogarts,   http://www.bogartscoffee.com
(when the owner is pulling on the bar)

I never fail to let the barista know that I am a coffee freak and they have never failed to go way out of their way to give me the best they can. If there is any issue with what I was served, I let them know and a replacement drink is on it's way before the words are out of my mouth. I think communication is the key, if it is not on the board, ASK, and you shall receive.

Even though Klatch is firmly third wave, I would guess (from observation) that about 90 % of the customers want better than *$ but are not passionate about coffee (however *$ speak has become the norm rather than the exception so most places follow convention in sizes and composition of the drink) , of the remaining 10% 90% really, really like coffee and only 1 person out of 100 is a coffee GEEK.

I can see how there could be a tendency to please the 99% and as their requests are routine, something different could cause them to pause for a second if you have not established yourself as a geek.

Mike knows I am not a fan of the smaller bags of coffee that is now offered though 12oz is now the industry norm (it used to be 16 oz or 1 #) but  I have been buying Klatch coffee for years.  Other than the first 3 of the 4 places I mentioned, I won't buy coffee any place else.

Bogarts does not roast and buys their coffee in thus no buying coffee from them.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Kamera

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Chemex, V60, Aeropress
Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010, 3:07pm

calblacksmith Said:

Mike knows I am not a fan of the smaller bags of coffee that is now offered though 12oz is now the industry norm (it used to be 16 oz or 1 #) but  I have been buying Klatch coffee for years.  Other than the first 3 of the 4 places I mentioned, I won't buy coffee any place else.

Posted August 30, 2010 link

Interesting.  Those 12oz bags are one of the things I like best about the way Klatch runs their business.  I prefer the 12oz bags to the 1lb bags because it gives me a chance to try more types of coffee while keeping whatever I have fresher.  I go through coffee relatively quick but sometimes a pound will stick around more than a couple weeks.  With the 12oz bags I find that I'm usually able to use them up within 10 days which I much prefer.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 9:05am

I am sure many do like the smaller bags for just that reason but a pound rarley lasts a week for me and 12 only go about 5 days

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 9:39am

Kamera Said:

I prefer the 12oz bags to the 1lb bags because it gives me a chance to try more types of coffee

Posted August 30, 2010 link

I prefer the pound, as I own a  freezer.

AFAICT, 12 ounce bags serve the same purpose as the smaller packaging for candy-bars and ice cream;
To raise the price in a manner that isn't as noticeable to the unwary consumer.  Like the slow rise in temperature in a frying pan, the frog isn't supposed to notice it until it's already fried.
Unfortunately, that's an old wives tale.  Much like us, the frog gets wise pretty damned quickly, isn't happy about it, and has a tendency to leave, if he can.
And all of the marketing hype in the world explaining how the 12 ounce bags are better for the environment, or keep our coffee fresher for us, or whatever else, is just an insult to our intelligence.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
artichoke

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 11:18am

Psyd Said:

I prefer the pound, as I own a  freezer. ...

Posted August 31, 2010 link

Me too.  The only problem I noticed was that on frozen espresso I seemed to get less crema on a fairly coarse grind.  (This was before I modified my grinder to give a finer grind.)  Have you noticed a loss of crema after freezing?
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2010, 2:27pm

artichoke Said:

Have you noticed a loss of crema after freezing?

Posted August 31, 2010 link

Nope.  I just got about eight pounds of ten different kinds of coffee, four weeks ago, and I pulled one of the less, uhm... 'noted' blends this morning, along with a blend that has national notoriety.  Both had acceptable, if not exceptional crema.  Thick enough that it became difficult for the micro foam to create decent art.

Freeze it as close to the roast date as you can (but at least one or two days of rest) in as small a container as you can get enough for a coupla days.  Pack it as tightly as you can to exclude as much air as you can (or vacuum pack it) and let it sit for at least a few hours (I try to go overnight) before opening the packaging to room temp air.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Coffee Klatch...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286804199219)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+