Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
New "Javatinis" in So. OC...and darnit, delicious espresso!
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > New "Javatinis"...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:35pm
Subject: New "Javatinis" in So. OC...and darnit, delicious espresso!

Before I say another word....I ordered a double espresso, house blend, no sugar..... and so help me, it was excellent! Not bitter, just flavorful and a pure joy. On top of all that, it had a beautiful sustaining crema. As is Stumptown and Vivace, I'm going to say that Javatinis, because of the apparent dedication to excellence in the cup by the ownership, truely deserves to called a "Third Wave" specialty coffee retailer.

It's Wednesday, and David, his sister Maria, his Mom, Dad and Brother were all at the "Soft Grand Opening" of his new (2nd) Javatinis on the corner of Moulton and Lake Forest, just West of the 5 Freeway in Lake Forest-Laguna Hills. I was on my way to get a contact lense prescription from my optometrist next door when I saw the new cafe. I walked in wanting to scope out this espresso shop that I had never seen before. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

David's family is from Cuba, and his passion is coffee. If you've been to the Javatinis in Seal Beach, then you probably know what I'm talking about. I've never been, but have heard from others. What luck that I would walk into his new place on the very day that he decided to open the doors. While he still has some interior decorating to do, he was interested in giving his employees an opportunity to "try out the hardware" and work out any unexpected kinks.......although after having what I admitted was one of the best double shots of my life, I don't know if he has anything to worry about.

Without going into details, here's their website. I will personally recommend Javatinis at Moulton and Lake Forest, and will say that if you're looking for a great espresso, personal and careing service......you've got a new place to get an extraction as good if not better than what you might have at your own home! So help me......IT WAS THAT GOOD!

www.javatinis.com (......and yes, David has his own proprietary blend that he roasts on premises!)

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Dec 30, 2006, 7:06pm
Subject: Re: New "Javatinis" in So. OC...and darnit, delicious espresso!

alsterling Said:

I ordered a double espresso ... it was excellent! Not bitter, just flavorful and a pure joy. On top of all that, it had a beautiful sustaining crema. As is Stumptown and Vivace, I'm going to say that Javatinis, because of the apparent dedication to excellence in the cup by the ownership, truely deserves to called a "Third Wave" specialty coffee retailer.

... after having what I admitted was one of the best double shots of my life, I don't know if he has anything to worry about.

Posted December 27, 2006 link

On Friday night I came back from a vacation to San Diego, took the 5 freeway north and stopped by Javatinis on the corner of Moulton and Lake Forest (about two hours after sunset). Ordered a double espresso and the result was disappointing. Light brown crema, no body, no complexity, no fruit or chocolate flavors, only a carbon taste. I ordered a second double espresso, beans not ground to order, somewhat fast pour, and the 2oz double espresso had the same carbon taste. The espressos were not sour and not burned. Espressos at Starbucks made on a super auto machine tastes better. So this was unfortunate. Might have been using dark roasted beans so all the good flavors are gone and only carbon flavor remains.

GaryH: JAVATINIS.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:48pm

Gary.....I'm so sorry about that! I've often thought that some cafes may best be judged, although it shouldn't be so, by multiple visits. (Personally, I don't have the time or patience... but maybe I'm cutting some slack for unfortunate circumstances of which I'm not aware?) I'll bet that Ian, the barista that served me, was not on duty. That's isn't an excuse, but might explain that David, the owner, allowed someone less trained behind the wheel, so to speak.

Having spoken to David that opening day, I have absolutely no problem chatting with him again and telling what happened. I promise you that if it were my cafe, I'd make it way more than right. And speaking to David for as long and as detailed as I did, I cannot believe that he would let your experience rest. Especially with the investment he has. We spoke in detail about the need to maintain excellence in the cup. Your experience was absolutely unforgivable, given the concern he has. I was under the impression that all of his baristas were as well trained as Ian?

Please take the time, if you can, to Email David via his website. Again, if it were me, I'd be very, very generous in my apology. Fact is, your input is the kind of feedback that many owners pay handsomely for via surveys!

By the way.....I just got my espresso bar installed in the garage, and even with some old beans pulled from storage, (I haven't been able to roast since preparing for and going through the move to the new house), the S1 cranked out some pretty reasonable shots. I'm feeling like I'm back in the game again! Please, if you pass by La Paz and the 5 again, give me a call and I'd love to have you over for some coffee and a chat!

I'll be back in San Jose late January for a project, going up to San Francisco immeiately thereafter, and will be looking forward to meeting 3 other CG'ers that all live in SF. They're going to take me to Blue Bottle. They say it's one of the best in the city.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
javatinis

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: century del-3
Grinder: mazzer
Drip: fetco
Roaster: sonofresco
Posted Mon Jan 1, 2007, 4:38pm

Al,

Thank you for your gracious post. My family and I enjoyed meeting, and discussing our passion of coffee with you.

I was very dismayed be Gary's comments.  

I tried to e-mail Gary directly after reading about his experience. Unfortunately my e-mail was returned "undeliverable". I had just missed him that evening as I left just minutes before he arrived. I reviewed the security videos and determined that the first espresso was prepared by Queenie and the second espresso was prepared by Jeffrey. All of our baristas have been extensively trained on pulling shots, so we can eliminate operator error as the cause.  The equipment is new, but has been carefully calibrated so I don't think that was the problem. We have been roasting our espresso for several years now at that roast level with many compliments from those who know, so we can rule that out. Our beans, that night, may have been too fresh however. Not having enough time to degas can lead to some of the problems described by Gary. (Lighter crema, under-developed body and aromatics, etc.). However, I have tried many of our coffees right out of the roaster and they have never been as thin and lifeless and burnt tasting as a Verisimo (Super-Auto) shot from Starbucks. (Gary, get real!)

Nevertheless, I do apologize to Gary for his less than ideal experience. He is alway welcome to stop in next time he is arround and be my guest. I would love to allow him to sample a variety of our single origins and blends at various roasts that we have available for espressos. I'm sure we can find a roast and blend that he would love.   My personal favorite at the moment is an African blend with a touch of Organic Guatemala Hue Hue Tenango. At a light to medium roast this blend produces a very complex shot with hints of blueberry and soft chocolate undertones. Very smooth!

Al, thanks again, and if you ever want to do a cupping with us let me know. We usually cup once a month. You can reach me at the store or via e-mail.      javatinis@verizon.net

Dave                            
Owner                          
Javatinis Coffee
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Mon Jan 1, 2007, 6:59pm

David, I had a chance to rest this early evening and fire up the laptop again, and saw your email post. I'm sure Gary will appreciate your response, and hope that he does have an opportunity to revisit you if he's back here in SoCal. I take it that he's from the San Jose area? Maybe I'll have a chance to meet him when I'm up his way and he can introduce me to a cafe in his neighborhood?

I'll be out of the area till Friday, and am so looking forward to connecting the drain system on my sink and formalizing the electrical and the drain for the S1. I've not roasted my Malabar Gold yet, and plan on running some as soon as I get home. I cheated last roast and tried the batch after only two days, and then each day thereafter. While it wasn't the mature flavor I enjoy, it taught me to appreciate the change in the blend as it ages. It reminded me of my comments to you about managing roast schedules and store inventory.

You know, my current favorite NY style deli here in Las Vegas is Jason's. I had their "Yankee Combo...corned beef, pastrami and swiss on rye." (Not Kosher, but for me very close to a religious experience!)(smile) Point being, and for me, there's absolutly nothing better after that kind of meal than a slice of NY cheesecake and a cup of coffee! My wife brought our Brasilian blend and we made some here in the hotel room afterwards. I didn't have the cheesecake, but substituted with some of Jason's fresh-baked cookie assortment. ($9.95 a box at the register). After downing a few demitasse cups of our coffee, made in the hotel coffee maker, I was OK with the world. I still don't know of any beverage, other than hot coffee, that can cut through onions, smoked meats, you name it! Geeze, it a great invention!!!

By the way, that double that Ian made for me the other day truly deserved the kudos. I'll look forward to stopping by your shop, trying another drink and maybe  seeing you again... Best to you and the family, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > New "Javatinis"...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216032028198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+