Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Carmel/Monterey-area:
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
timoteu36

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: la pavoni pro, la marzocco...
Grinder: la pavoni, ortega
Drip: bunn
Roaster: san fransican
Posted Fri Jul 28, 2006, 8:24am
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area:

he did sell it to same guy who bought all the cvcrc's. i heard that guy also got out of the coffee business all together. morgan bought a part of the ocio theather, the cafe part of it, and turned into a mini coffee house. when i was there last in spring, he told me about his plans for the warehouse coffee shop/bar in seaside. cafe noir, the place in the ocio, still has great coffee and same morgan-warped baristas; look for a guy named matt and he'll take care of ya.

i worked for morgan the two years prior to his selling and moving, and i broke most of his equipment as well (always accidentally). jclements, when did you work there?
 View Profile Link to this post
jclements

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2006, 2:16pm

I worked there from about April to August of '99.  I was going to MPC and Morgan had a knack for putting me on late nights closing on school nights, despite my scheduling efforts.  I've damn near forgotten everyone's name, but I can remember their faces.  Guy who rode motorcycle and played bass (who got me the job as I valeted with him down at the big hotel; he took me out jamming at Open Mike nights around town); roaster guy who was permanently wired; petite lesbian who was angry about something all the time; bigger and friendlier lesbian; cute vegan girl; handsome singer/songwriter who moved to Oakland and I do remember Rick, hippy bearded barista extraordinaire, who went on to star in MPC's production of Hair.  It was a blast working there, saw some good music and cupped some great joe.  I got involved in the local drama scene - too many good times.  But of course one can't afford to live there forever, not without having bought a house forty years ago.
Cheers,
John

PS  cvcrc = Code Violation, Cyclical Redundancy Check?
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 10:44am

Cafe Noir in Monterey: Intelligencia beans, Faema triple head, fine late art, Old school Italian customer base.  Empty Doser, twenty five second pulls, My first taste of Black Cat...

I had the great pleasure of agumenting my hotel room my press pot fix at this outstanding cafe this past weekend.  I can't really say that I've had better espresso.  

It makes me wish I had something as good in my town.  It also makes me realize just how far I need to go with my own skills.

I should also mention the crazy cute, competent barista(s).

Pay no attention to the nay sayers earlier in this thread.  If you have no other reason to stop in Monterey on your way to Big Sur, this is it.  The cafe is in the same building as a movie theater on Calle Principal.  Two blocks from the waterfront near the old fishermens wharf.

So Good

Robi
bradleyallen

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Zassenhaus...
Drip: Beehouse ceramic manual...
Roaster: Barefoot Coffee Probat L12
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 10:16pm

passionateone Said:

Cafe Noir in Monterey: Intelligencia beans, Faema triple head, fine late art, Old school Italian customer base.  Empty Doser, twenty five second pulls, My first taste of Black Cat...

Posted May 7, 2007 link

Hey, that's great news. Awesome! Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out.

I wonder how long they've been in business?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 10:39pm

The sticker that they'll give you say's: established 1994.

So Good
R
Gusto
Gusto

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Bodum...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Thu May 10, 2007, 10:28pm

Not quite inside the topic area, but pretty close.  I'm passing through Big Sur in a couple of weeks en route to Santa Cruz.  Normally when I'm in Santa Cruz, I usually end up at the same ol' Starbucks.  I tried the Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company and have had multiple bad experiences.  

Any recommendations while I'm in the Cruz?

I'll be sure to hit up Cafe Noir on my way (should make a nice rest stop).

Gusto
Dinosaur_Hotel
Dinosaur_Hotel

Posted Fri May 11, 2007, 12:38am

I was born and raised in this area.

I work at Cafe Noir in Monterey.

Best coffee/espresso anywhere in Monterey. (we used Intelligentsia beans).

Also, Ol' Factory Cafe in Sand City is owned by the same folks and is green-friendly and sustainable.

*picks up burnt muffin tin*
*throws burnt muffin at you*
*runs away*
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Dinosaur_Hotel
Dinosaur_Hotel

Posted Fri May 11, 2007, 12:43am

timoteu36 Said:

he did sell it to same guy who bought all the cvcrc's. i heard that guy also got out of the coffee business all together. morgan bought a part of the ocio theather, the cafe part of it, and turned into a mini coffee house. when i was there last in spring, he told me about his plans for the warehouse coffee shop/bar in seaside. cafe noir, the place in the ocio, still has great coffee and same morgan-warped baristas; look for a guy named matt and he'll take care of ya.

i worked for morgan the two years prior to his selling and moving, and i broke most of his equipment as well (always accidentally). jclements, when did you work there?

Posted July 28, 2006 link

Did you know Mary Z. who worked at Morgan's? She was my Spanish teacher in high school. She was way cool.

*picks up burnt muffin tin*
*throws burnt muffin at you*
*runs away*
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
mobleyfan
mobleyfan

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 11, 2007, 7:54am

I've made a bunch pf posts about Santa Cruz so you can search for them. The best places I've found are Coffeetopia on Mission, Coffee Kat in Scotts Valley, and Lulu Carpenter's (formerly Espresso Royale) on the north end of Pacific near the clock.
-Sam

Gusto Said:

Any recommendations while I'm in the Cruz?

I'll be sure to hit up Cafe Noir on my way (should make a nice rest stop).

Gusto

Posted May 10, 2007 link

Gusto
Gusto

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Bodum...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Fri May 11, 2007, 8:12am

mobleyfan Said:

I've made a bunch pf posts about Santa Cruz so you can search for them. The best places I've found are Coffeetopia on Mission, Coffee Kat in Scotts Valley, and Lulu Carpenter's (formerly Espresso Royale) on the north end of Pacific near the clock.
-Sam

Posted May 11, 2007 link

Thanks Mobleyfan,

I've seen Coffeetopia.  Will look up the previous posts, Coffee Kat, and Lulu's.  Yet ANOTHER reason to find myself in Santa Cruz.  Vallarta's, the beach, the redwoods.... what else could you ask for????

Gusto
showing page 2 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304419994354)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+