Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Carmel/Monterey-area:
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 2:06pm
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area:

To encourage customers to try straight shots, double espressos at Lulu's are only 95 cents. At that price I had five of them. There are three different beans to choose from. These double espressos were pulled with Lulu's classic espresso blend, which had nice complexity, and I also had a very smooth Malabar shot.

GaryH: Lulus4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 2:07pm

Had a nice macchiato which really brought out the chocolate in the classic espresso.

GaryH: Lulus5.jpg
(Click for larger image)
ManthriSrinath

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Various
Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 6:52pm

Thanks for visiting, Gary. Nice pictures, too. I'm glad you enjoyed Lulu's at the Octagon. See you again, soon, we hope!
Gusto
Gusto

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Bodum...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Sun May 20, 2007, 9:22pm

ManthriSrinath Said:

Hi there everyone. I own Lulu Carpenter's in Santa Cruz and Coffee Cat in Scotts Valley. Just want to let you know we have a new espresso bar also in downtown Santa Cruz called Lulu's at the Octagon. The focus is on single origin coffees and espressos. We have a LM Mistral and a Clover as well. And yes, some lovely ACF cups that Sebastian sent our way. Our featured espresso right now is Indian Monsooned Malabar (Josuma). Pretty red cup, syrupy and sweet. Thanks.

Posted May 18, 2007 link

Dote!  Figures I left for Santa Cruz FRIDAY MORNING and missed this message!  I've been meaning to try the Clover here in LA too!  Ah well, had a great 3 days in Santa Cruz and hit up the original Lulu's.  Got a double shot of house espresso, which was the fullest bodied espresso I've ever tasted.  Thick to the point of viscocity, but very tasty indeed.  To my untrained tastebuds, it seem like a really dark roast.  (Those who have experience at Lulu's might want to chime in on this, as I could be totally off).  Topped it off with a latte.  Yummy.  Nice latte art too.

I actually saw the other Lulu's while driving too, and figured it was the same thing!  DARRR!!!!

Also hit up Coffeetopia, which had a much milder espresso.  Light bodied.  Had the same as Lulu's, a double shot and a latte.  At coffeetopia the barista heated the milk and poured it in the cup first, then added the shots.  Is this normal?  Usually I've seen people have the espresso in the cup first, then add the milk?  

Anyway, also experienced Cafe Pergolessi over on the outskirts of downtown.  Much more a crowd at that place.  By recommendation of the barista there, I strayed from the norm and got a Capania (double shot of espresso with a wallup of whipped cream).  Wow....BLISS!

I took some pictures, but I'll have to figure out how to post them.

Oh, tried to stop by Cafe Bene on my way out of the Cruz, but it's closed on Sunday. :(

I'll be back up in Santa Cruz in mid June.  Plenty more time to head back to the new Lulu's!  Hopefully those 95 cent shots will still be in order!

Gusto
ManthriSrinath

Posted Mon May 21, 2007, 8:10am

Hi Gusto,

Thanks for stopping by Lulu's. Im glad to hear that the espresso was good. Our Espresso Classico is pretty light in comparision to most traditional Bay Area roasters. We like light roasts, and especially in espresso cuisine. The body comes from the composition (miscela) and the extraction (mano, macchina, macinazione)more than anything. As a broad rule, the darker a coffee is, the thinner the body. Not so good for espresso.

Our featured espresso next week will be Huehuetenango, Vista Hermosa. Octagon location only. Lovely chocolate and spice notes. Medium body. Come and get it while it's hot.

I'll save a couple of those 95 cent espressos for you!
Gusto
Gusto

Posted Mon May 21, 2007, 8:41am

Thanks for the info manthri.  I'm a novice in the espresso world.  Just kind of jumping in and trying as much espresso as I can find.  I'll see you in a month!

Gusto
Gusto
Gusto

Posted Mon May 21, 2007, 11:14am

Forgot to mention I saw this place while munching on a burrito at Vallartas (on Soquel):

http://www.pacificespresso.com/

Anyone ever try their Tazzino?

Gusto
Dinosaur_Hotel
Dinosaur_Hotel
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue May 22, 2007, 11:39am

So after all the hoopla about coffee in Monterey area, I'm way excited to check out Lulu's when I make it up to Santa Cruz next week.

As mentioned above, I'm a barista at Cafe Noir in Monterey and was pleased (as was my manager) to hear all the good likings.

The owner of Noir opened a new place recently in Sand City (near Monterey) called Ol' Factory Cafe - http://www.olfactorycafe.com/

Similar style in drink quaity to Noir, but with an effort in sustanability.

We're only about 2 months old, so as a shameless plug, come check us out.

*picks up burnt muffin tin*
*throws burnt muffin at you*
*runs away*
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ManthriSrinath

Posted Tue May 22, 2007, 3:12pm

Pacific Espresso is a reseller to the trade. They sell and service LM equipment, and also a line of coffees, syrups, etc.  Knowledgeable folks, and Tim, the proprietor, sits on the board of the SCAA. I imagine some local cafes carry their coffee.
ManthriSrinath

Posted Tue May 22, 2007, 3:17pm

We'll be happy to see you down at Lulu's! Do try and make it to the Octagon, and ask for an espresso flight. And let us know you're a coffee geek. We love talking with fellow enthusiasts!
showing page 4 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.45968413353)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+