Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Thermostat problem with Expobar Pulser - repair shop in the Bay Area?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Thermostat...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Heinzr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar, la Valentina...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Mar 24, 2005, 5:28am
Subject: Thermostat problem with Expobar Pulser - repair shop in the Bay Area?

The hi limit switch of my 2 year old Expobar Pulser was triggered three days in a row, and I am getting nervous to continue to reset it.
Is anyone aware of a repair shop in the Bay area, that could check the machine and repair it?
Thanks, Heinz
 View Profile Link to this post
Corsican
Corsican
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Cellini Premium
Drip: Melitta Ceramic Cone
Posted Thu Mar 24, 2005, 7:34am
Subject: Re: Thermostat problem with Expobar Pulser - repair shop in the Bay Area?

Are you referring to the pressure-stat (controller) ?  If so,  it is a do it yourself kind of job fairly simple. I have done it myself a couple of times for a  some friends. I live in the Bay area and if I can be of any help let me know.

Robert Pietri

Life is a one way trip, so be sure to enjoy every second of your journey !!!!!!
Heinzr

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2005, 6:42am
Subject: Re: Thermostat problem with Expobar Pulser - repair shop in the Bay Area?

Robert,
thanks for your willingness to help! As for your question: I do not know, to be honest.
Here is what happened: last week the machine would not warm up after being switched on. I contacted Wholelattelove, where I had bought the machine, and they recommend to reset the 'hi limit switch', which I did. And it worked - sort of. I was able to prepare a shot, but  noticed that the machine seemed to produce more steam (I did not really mind, since that made frothing a bit easier).  And after being switched of, the machine I was not able to start the machine again. I reset the switch one more time, and the same thing happened.
Not knowing a lot about expresso machines, one possible explanation for me was that the machine is actually getting to hot (maybe due to a defect temperature sensor), which could explain why I saw more steam and the triggering of the hi limit switch.

Does that make any sense to you.

Best regards, Heinz
Corsican
Corsican
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Cellini Premium
Drip: Melitta Ceramic Cone
Posted Fri Mar 25, 2005, 8:18am

I am at a lost in this one.  Sounds like a different kind of problem than a pressure controller. Contact WLL again and see what they suggest. If a part needs to be replace, I still should be able to walk you through it or help you.

Robert

Life is a one way trip, so be sure to enjoy every second of your journey !!!!!!
jrtATL
jrtATL

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Fri Mar 25, 2005, 8:35am

Actually, this sounds like a problem I've had.  It likely is the pressurestat that's getting stuck "open."  This causes the heating element to run continuously, and eventually, the temperature on the outside of the boiler gets so hot that it trips the hi-limit switch.

You probably need a new pressurestat (pstat).  These are easy to replace, and are destined to fail within a couple of years of purchase.  Obviously, as you found out the hard way, some fail faster than others.

I am currently on my thrid pstat, and I have used the machine for only a year.  My problem was slightly different, in that I started off with both a defective pstat and heating element.  

Jeremy

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Heinzr

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:22pm

Jeremy,
what is a source for a new pstat, and do they provide with instructions/schematics for how to replace it? I would really like to move forward on this -  this is giving a big boost to Pete's Coffee sales!
Best regards, Heinz
jrtATL
jrtATL

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 3:54pm

You can find a Mater pstat at EPNW, Chris Coffee, or WLL.  Should be under $40, IIRC.  Replacement is as easy as unplugging the machine, cooling it down, unscrewing the old pstat, and then screwing in the new pstat with some teflon tape.  Adjustments will then have to be made to get the pressure how you want it.

I just put a Sirai commercial pstat in mine, where the reservoir used to be (mine is plumbed in).  These retail for over $100, but can be found on the web for under $50 if you know where to look.  I can't post the link for fear of retribution.

Jeremy

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Thermostat...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207446098328)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+