Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Recommendations for Lake Tahoe
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Recommendations...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 1:46am
Subject: Re: Recommendations for Lake Tahoe

wenus2 Said:

If you are flying into Reno, "The Hub Coffee Co" on Cheyney St. is the real deal.

Posted December 21, 2009 link

I was driving through Reno on my way to Yellowstone and stopped by The Hub. Love the cute brick building. Unfortunately they were not pulling shots with Barefoot coffee beans that day, but I did have this Ecco espresso which had some dark chocolate and fruit flavors but had low body and the shot was too acidic for me.

GaryH: Reno-hub-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Sep 2, 2010, 1:47am

Latte (Ecco espresso) at The Hub was so very smooth with a nice milk taste. Just sit down in the corner, relax and enjoy that latte. Ahh, that was good!

GaryH: Reno-hub-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Beezer
Beezer

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: La Cimbali Max Hybrid
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 10:25am

Unfortunately, Elijah Blues in Truckee is now out of business.  They served decent coffee and good breakfasts.

On the bright side, Trokay Restaurant in Truckee serves Blue Bottle from a La Marzocco and Robur grinder.  My wife and I had cappuccinos there, which we enjoyed. The barista seemed knowledgeable and friendly too.  They also have a pour over bar which we didn't try, but looked promising.  Unfortunately, they're only open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., then they close until 5 p.m., when they reopen for dinner.  So if you're looking for good coffee before 11 a.m., you're on your own.

As an aside, we almost ate dinner here too, but were somewhat put off by the high prices and exotic menu.  It's probably delicious, but we weren't really in the mood to spend $80 - $130 per person on dinner, before wine.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/trokay-truckee
danwing

Grinder: two Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Roaster: Sightglass, Verve
Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 9:09pm

Trokay is awesome for espresso drinks and they also have pour-over, siphon, and drip pot -- each done very well.  The baristas (especially Casey) are perfectionists with all of their coffee brewing methods, have excellent beans, and top-notch equipment.  Their dinner is ranked the top #1 or #2 in Truckee on food review sites, and is expensive.  HOWEVER, as of November 1, 2013, they are only open for dinner -- putting a serious damper on many a Coffeegeek excursion.

Another espresso place in Truckee is CoffeeBar on 10120 Jibboom street (one block behind main street, about two blocks from Trokay).  Coffee Bar's espresso is roasted in Reno and their beans (and the cafe) have an Italian slant -- the espresso is less fruity and more bitter than Blue Bottle beans, but not burnt like Peets/Starbucks.  Coffeebar has a great selection of pastries, sandwiches, and gelato, and they added (interesting) beer and wine earlier this year.  Coffee Bar is open in the morning and throughout the day and evening.

[edited to update that Trokay is now only open for dinner.]
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Recommendations...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216899871826)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+