Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Coffee near the east 90's NYC.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Coffee near the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 8:00am
Subject: Coffee near the east 90's NYC.

Hello all,
I recently started a course for medical school which involves being at metropolitan hospital once a week. I don't normally spend much time in this area, and I have very little time to get downtown. So, does anybody have any café's to recommend in this area?

I found a Sbx, but, well, you know.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 3:53pm
Subject: Re: Coffee near the east 90's NYC.

Aside from Joe on Lexington near 75th St, Oliver Strand described the UES as a "coffee no man's land."

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 6:01pm

Just did a coffee tour of Manhattan.  There is nothing north of, say, 50th in the upper west side.  The old, seven year old post says it all:

MikeWhite Said:

Jonathan you're so right.  Have you looked uptown?  I've seen estimates closer to $900/sq ft!  It's insane!  It really is a testament to the dedication of the great shops that do exist successfully in this city.  It's no small feat to succeed here and shops like yours are helping to pave the way.  Maintaining a balance between super high volume and super high quality is a really tough task and you handle it gracefully.

Posted October 18, 2006 link

You may be lucky and find someone with a machine who happens to be good, but that would be quite under the radar.  Your problem is exactly why no one wants to rent in the UES but the insane NY economy forces them to be there.  That may be slowly changing as restaurants follow the resigned young professionals into the area.
The closest may be Joe Coffee on Lexington near 75th.  The closest that I can vouch for would be Blue Bottle in Rockefeller Center.  Otherwise, EVERYTHING is in lower midtown and the villages and proximity.
Edit: Sorry, andys, didnt see your post.

You know, the 'third-wave' artisanal roaster culture that dominates this site is just our culture.  Since you are traversing El Barrio, you might just want to immerse yourself in the new york hispanic coffee culture and see what is good.  If you visited a foreign country, you would have to drink their coffee, kopi in Singappore, for instance.  And, to some extent, each enclave neighborhood in NYC is like a small country.  Coffee on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx (Italian) is its own culture while coffee in West New York (Cuban) is its own culture, and so on...
B
 View Profile Link to this post
jtsnyc

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Solis Maestro
Drip: Technivorm Thermal KB741
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 6:20pm

There's also Oslo on 75th b/t 1st and York, but not sure if that works any better than Joe for you.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 6:39am

The NYT The Scoop web site is my go to for local coffee places in New York. There's an app for it on ios.
http://www.nytimes.com/thescoop/#!/viewList/coffeeshops

Hmm but the E 90s isn't apparently well served with coffee. Hence this thread, I guess!
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 3:58pm

So I just tried Joe's on lex. I was impressed. Im very happy they're only a few minutes drive downtown and if I switch clinical sites I could be only a few blocks away.

Has anyone tried Irving farm? I saw they had a location at GCT. I doubt I'd go down that far just for coffee but it may be nice next time Im in the area.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Coffee near the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20480298996)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+