Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Fresh NYC-er looking for great coffee and baristas
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Fresh NYC-er...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
aswama

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 6:41am
Subject: Fresh NYC-er looking for great coffee and baristas

Hey buds. I'm transferring to a college in New York in August. I've been hearing recently that in New York there's a surprising lack of love for coffee. Third Wave Coffee being looked upon as pretentious, things like that.
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, which has a surprisingly large amount of good coffee available. For fun, I'll name some:
Voluto Coffee (Frank Battista there has competed with baristas such as Everyman Espresso's Sam Penix)
21st Coffee and Tea
Espresso a Mano, the Tazza d'Oro
Commonplace Coffeehouse
Big Dog Coffee
Oh Yeah! Ice Cream and Coffee

Some of these serve Counter Culture and Intelligentsia Coffee. I spoil myself.
So, having been fascinated by coffee for a large part of my life, and having been working as a barista for a little over a year, I'm troubled the idea of low-coffee enthusiasm in NY.
So, my two questions are: what are the best coffee shops in NYC (close to Manhattan, preferably), and at which ones do I have a chance at working in with 1yr experience under my belt?
 View Profile Link to this post
gregr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 8:37am
Subject: Re: Fresh NYC-er looking for great coffee and baristas

Nothing? Can that be true- there is not one single place in NYC that serves excellent shots? That is seriously pathetic.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shawndo
shawndo
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: LM Shot Brewer
Grinder: VL M3/Compak K10 Pro
Posted Sat Nov 9, 2013, 1:21am

There are lots of posts on this topic.
Here is a thread with a lot of recent discussion
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:13pm

Truly you have a lot to learn. Start here

http://www.nytimes.com/thescoop/#!/viewList/coffeeshops

There is an iPhone app as well.

Ten years ago what you say may have been true but New York catches up fast. Maybe not so many local roasters but most of the big names are there Intelli, Stumptown, Counter Culture, Blue Bottle as well as local NY roaters like Gimme Coffee.

Stumptown, Third Rail and Everyman are some of my favourites.

Great city, great coffee. Enjoy.
Buckley

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 8:49am

May I add Bluebird Coffee in the LES?  I was there a year ago but they are still around, I hear.
Here is my review from that visit, on the 'US-East' subforum of this site:

I admit it: when I walk into a highly-reputed coffee shop, my expectations for them are higher than hoi polloi shops.  At Bluebird Coffee Shop (72 East First Street, lower east side), I was not disappointed.  I was handed a cup with truly beautiful crema.  Admittedly, I do not usually remember to stop and savor the nose but the appearance of this cup was so luscious that I reflexively took a sniff.  The aroma was a combination of roasty and bright a nice balance.  The flavor began as toast with a sweetness to it, then there was a cinnamon note.  A second taste brought out a pleasant lemony taste.  They had excellent croissants there, crispy, flaky and buttery.  I found out that they get their croissant from Colson in Park Slope, but I forgot to write down their coffee supplier.  They changed owners last year but still seem to stay on top of the pack.

B
rebthor

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:32am

I work in the Times Square area and I saw that Cafe Grumpy relatively recently opened up a shop on 39th and 7th so I headed over there to pick up a bag of beans and a shot.  Their house blend heartbreaker shot was nicely balanced, syrupy with some nice but not overpowering citrus.

Anyhow, on my way back I saw a place that I'd never yet heard of - Gregory's Coffee.  Looking at their site, it seems they are 3rd wave style with many lighter roasts.  Anyone here have stories or experience?
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 11:11am

rebthor Said:

I work in the Times Square area and I saw that Cafe Grumpy relatively recently opened up a shop on 39th and 7th so I headed over there to pick up a bag of beans and a shot.  Their house blend heartbreaker shot was nicely balanced, syrupy with some nice but not overpowering citrus.

Anyhow, on my way back I saw a place that I'd never yet heard of - Gregory's Coffee.  Looking at their site, it seems they are 3rd wave style with many lighter roasts.  Anyone here have stories or experience?

Posted November 27, 2013 link

Gregorys isn't bad. They serve a lot of aeropress, which is a cool niche that's not particularly tapped in NYC. But their roasting--my perspective last time I was in there--could use a lot of work.

-Dave-
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Fresh NYC-er...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218839883804)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+