Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Good coffee in Northern Virginia?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Good coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
johndrobison

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mahlkongi K30 Vario &...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Kalita Wave
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 3:47am
Subject: Re: Good coffee in Northern Virginia?

Back from Virginia with an update on some of the suggested cafes:

1. Boccato Gelato - Arlington: Pretty bad. Yes, they do serve Stumptown but it's not done well. They don't really know or care about a quality extraction. And the gelato isn't much to speak of either.
  2. Caffe Amouri - Vienna: Decent. The roasts were ok. Not spectacular but if you can't get into the city and are stuck in the Tyson's Corner area like I was, this is an acceptable spot. Espresso extraction was borderline but drinkable.
  3. Northside Social - Arlington: Also serving CC but this place knows what they're doing. My extraction was perfect and the barista spent quite a bit of time making sure it would be. I was too early for a manual brew but they did have fresh urns and the Honduran that I had was represented well. I'd say that outside of the city, this is probably the best spot.
  4. Peregrine - DC: I had to venture into the city to see if the buzz is worth the trip. Not only do they feature CC (often roasted exclusively for them, apparently) but they do it quite well. My SO extraction was excellent. My manual brew Yrgecheffe and also cup of decaf were both excellent. And the people were excellent.

I'm sure there are other places already mentioned in the city that are also excellent (I really wanted to try the Vigilante pop up but couldn't make another trip back in) but it's really the outskirts where it's harder to find something good. I hope this helps some other travelers.
 View Profile Link to this post
sleight82

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Rancillio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex wood neck...
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 9:43am

pilot25 Said:

Misha's in Old Towne Alexandria.  Hands down best.

I unfortunately have moved from that area recently.  Anyone have a bead on a good roaster/shop near Frederick, MD.  I have been driving the 1 1/2 hours to Misha's to get a supply of beans.  It's inconvenient and I was getting 10 lbs. and freezing it.  Only now, I've learned it's not the proper way to do it.

Posted January 16, 2012 link

Lived in Frederick for a year, and unfortunately never found something that I would go back to again. Buy online.

However, in the MD/DC area, would suggest (that weren't already) in no particular order:

Filter Coffee in Dupont Circle (http://www.filtercoffeehouse.com; coffee is from Ceremony Roasters out of Annapolis, MD)
Vigilante Coffee (http://vigilantecoffee.myshopify.com/; roasts own and it's great)
Nagadi Coffee (http://www.nagadicoffee.com/; roasts own and it's great; specifically the Colombia Granja la Esperanza )
The Wydown (has Kaldi's and Intelligentsia)
The Coffee Bar (http://www.thecoffeebardc.com/, has Handsome, Verve, and Ceremony coffees)
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 7:22pm

Old thread but have found great roasters in/near Frederick.

Dublin Roasters in Frederick - Xtreem espresso
Lost Dog in Shepherdstown - Sexpresso
Black Dog in Shenandoah Junction -  ??
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Good coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.179955005646)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+