Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Boston/Cambridge
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Boston/Cambridge  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
steven

Expertise: Beginner

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Fresh Roast +
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2002, 7:23am
Subject: Boston/Cambridge

Alright...anyone else out there?  
Big goings-on in the coffee world in this neck of the woods over the next year.  Any diamonds in the rough?  

I've been hitting the Cambridge/Somerville indie joints - some of the cups have been quite respectable although the quality of shots has depended upon the operator, I think.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lataylor2

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2002, 5:52am
Subject: Re: Boston/Cambridge

I've found the best espresso in Boston/Cambridge at Cafe Paradiso - both locations: Harvard Square and North End. They're pretty consistent and they have great desserts, too.

1369 Coffeehouse in Central Square can deliver a decent espresso, but as you note, it depends on the person pulling your shot.

Where are you finding good espresso these days?
mhodges

Espresso: ECM Giotto Premium
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Roaster: Fresh Roast+
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2002, 9:20am

I live in Harvard Square and have been frequenting Cafe Paradisio for a long time.  The Cambridge and North End locations have been serving the best espresso I have been able to find (outside of my own kitchen).

;)

The Harvard Square location changed espresso machines earlier this year from a Rancilio to a Faema, and the espresso quality declined a bit until they got the machine properly dialed in.  

I would love to hear about any other cafes that those in the Boston area rank highly.

Regards,
Matt
steven

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2002, 10:55am

I've not hit too many of the North End spots -had a serviceable shot- at Vesuvio but nothing much.

I've had really good shots at Cafe Cezanne in Central Sq...and really lackluster ones.  Seems to be operator dependent.  Same thing with 1369 (although my son has just started working there).  The Someday Cafe can also pour some great stuff.

Nothing as good as what I'm getting
in my kitchen these days.
lataylor2

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 5:58am

How about local roasters?

I can't roast in my apartment - so lately I've been getting my beans from Bread & Circus on River St in Cambridge. They roast daily right there in the store.

I'm also waiting to see what George Howell (former owner of Coffee Connection) does in his new store in Lexington... However, it would have to be pretty good in order to get me out to the 'burbs.

Anyone have any roaster recommendations?
Greg

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 6:04am

Hello,
I've been scoping out coffee shops around town for a while as research for opening my own cafe. There are alot of cafes near you guys, many more than out my way in the western burbs.
There's a place in Harvard Square I haven't been to yet that a freind just told me about, called Darwins. It's on Mt. Auburn Street, heading toward Watertown, just past the post office on the other side of the road. I guess they were a tiny place for a while, and just expanded. I'm told they're good.
I have been to Someday Cafe in Somerville, Davis Square. It's quite the hip place, lots of students. Good coffee, good espresso and decent bakery goods. The barrista there had her techinique down pretty well.
One other place to check out is Uncommon Grounds, again on Mt. Auburn Street, in Coolidge Square, Watertown. They have a full sandwich shop, coffee and baked goods. I've had a few good cappas there, and a very tasty sandwich.
Greg

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 6:11am

Hi again,
RE roasters, I imagine there are some in town, although I know of one that has excellent micro-roast in Westboro called Armeno. They have a retail store and do phone/web orders. Turn around is a couple of days.
http://www.armeno.com/
There's another place called Red Barn in (Southboro?) on Rte 9 that has a retail operation. Don't know if they have a web page.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 11:36am

I don't know anything about Boston, except for two things:

a) the downtown is being torn up and rebuilt because of some highway (or the removal of it, or the tunnelling of it, or something like that)

b) I'm gonna be there next year for the SCAA! Woo Hoo! Beantown, here I come!

Wait, I know a C. You guys hate tea. :)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
caffeinegeek

Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Press pot: Bodum Chambord
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 4:46pm

CoffeeKid Said:

I don't know anything about Boston, except for two things:

a) the downtown is being torn up and rebuilt because of some highway (or the removal of it, or the tunnelling of it, or something like that)

b) I'm gonna be there next year for the SCAA! Woo Hoo! Beantown, here I come!

Wait, I know a C. You guys hate tea. :)

Posted July 6, 2002 link

a) It's called the Big Dig...and it's billions over budget and there doesn't seem to be much end in sight.  Sigh.

b) The SCAA convention's in Boston next year?  Didn't know...can anyone go to that or is it a member only kinda thing?

c) I like tea.

Ben
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
steven

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 6:51pm

I just spent some time at the Bread and Circus on River Street looking at the roasting operation and checking out the roasts.  I haven't been roasting for very long but I was quite impressed.  They seem to adhere to roast guidelines similar to those laid down in Sweet Maria's and their stock seems to be no longer than two days after roast.  Allegro Beans?  Are they of good repute?

I haven't purchased anything at Armeno's yet but a friend of mine has been getting stuff from them and has been very pleased.  He's another espresso freak and really likes their blends, their responsiveness and their overnight packages.  We're thinking about a field trip to see their storefront in Northborough.  

What is the story with Coffee Connection and George Howell?
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Boston/Cambridge  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218967199326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+