Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Coffee in DC?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Coffee in DC?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DanH

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K10 Fresh
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012, 6:46pm
Subject: Coffee in DC?

I know about Baked and Wired which I will definitely check out but I'm staying at a hotel in Dupont Circle and am hoping to find a nice coffee shop I can roll out of bed into.  Any recommendations?
 View Profile Link to this post
bushrod

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90, Elektra MCaL
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C20B
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 7:01am
Subject: Re: Coffee in DC?

Dolcezza Gelato

1704 Connecticut Ave
Mon-Thu 7:30 AM to 8 PM
Fri 7:30 AM to 9 PM
Sat and Sun 8 AM to 9 PM

Haven't been there in a while, but it was superb when I was.

Just checked www.dolcezzagelato.com.  Their current espresso is Flying Monkey from PT's.  I'd definitely check it out.

Rich A
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 7:21am

Swing's Coffee (17th & G Streets, NW)is a great coffee bar. Most of the customers are serious coffee drinkers who work at the nearby World Bank and IMF.  It's probably a mile or so south of Dupont Circle, but the walk is pleasant (you'll walk by the White House).  Swing's roasts their own coffee offsite.  If you want to hop on the Metro and take a ride, Peregrine Coffee on Capitol Hill (7th & Pennsylvannia Ave., SE) is not to be missed.  Again really serious coffee drinkers go here.
mrickling

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 8:34pm

Filter Coffeehouse at 1726 20th St. NW I think has the best espresso in Dupont. I also go to Yola at 1323 Connecticut Ave. NW, but mainly because it's closer to where I work. Swing's is great, but it's something of a hike from Dupont.

Oh yeah -- you might find the following story interesting. Both Filter and Yola use Counter Culture.

Click Here (www.washingtoncitypaper.com)
bushrod

Posted Fri Mar 2, 2012, 10:30am

I didn't find the espresso at Swing's to be any better than Misha's in Old Town.  I haven't tried their regular coffee, though.

Rich A
jd2020
jd2020

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 9:50am

I would say that ME Swings suffers from the same problem as Bocatto in Arlington & Alexandria: inconsistent training / barista capability. I've had good and iffy espresso at Swings, never as bad as Misha's though, nor as good as Bocatto (when they are "in the zone").
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bushrod

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 6:42am

I wonder how his visit went.  You notice how people rarely followup to tell us where they went or how they like it after asking for suggestions??

Bocatto in Old Town now has a small Yama vac pot and a large Yama iced drip coffee maker.  I tried an iced Brazilian (Stumptown) last weekend and it was amazing.  They were running an Ethiopian through it at the time.  I should have gone back!

Rich A
DanH

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 6:49am

Here I am.  I stayed in two hotels, one right down the street from Baked and Wired and the other a few blocks from Filters.  They both made good espresso, the likes of which I'd happily drink anytime.  I found the format of Baked and Wired pretty annoying though.  In addition to coffee they make and sell a wide assortment of cupcakes.  Cupcakes aren't really my thing but that's okay.  THe trouble is that you can't simply pay for your coffee in the coffee line.  Rather, you have to get your coffee and then stand in the cupcake line to pay for your it!  How stupid is that?
jd2020
jd2020

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 7:34am

@Bushrod, What time do you hit Bocatto? I asked someone whether they were using the vac pot and dripper last week and she told me she "didn't think so." there is a chap there who seems to be working the coffee program, but I don't know his name. Do you?

@DanH, Yes, B&W is a bit non-standard. I prefer to think of it as "eclectic" rather than stupid. I think they make most of their money on the baked side. The barista doesn't have to deal with a register and where would they put it anyway? I applaud any place with a good coffee program--they are few and far between.  I am happy to endure their odd setup for an excellent cortado.

Incidentally, you might see lines of people waiting for a blessed "Georgetown Cupcake" of TV fame, only a few blocks away. Baked and Wired blows them out of the water.  B&W were making best cupcakes anywhere around here before cupcakes were trendy, and they still are.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanH

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 7:50am

Well JD2020, you're definitely a more generous spirit than I am.  Cupcakes really do seem to be the rage in those parts these days.  I lived in Boston during the Steve's Ice Cream-inspired ice cream boom of the 70's.  Then it was cookies.  Now it is cupcakes.  How do you eat one without getting icing all over your nose?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Coffee in DC?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218679189682)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+