Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
George Howell New Opening in Newtonville
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > George Howell...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
docnlaw

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Proteo Grande
Grinder: Macap m4 stepless doser
Drip: Bunn-o-matic
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012, 7:18pm
Subject: George Howell New Opening in Newtonville

George has opened a new coffee shop in Massachusetts,  Open house was tonight, but opening day is tomorrow.  Should be a coffee geek paradise.  Love his terroir branded espresso's.  Check them out on Facebook, George Howell Coffee Company.

docnlaw: george howell-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Sat Feb 11, 2012, 2:59pm
Subject: Re: George Howell New Opening in Newtonville

Formerly Taste Coffee House, same location. I believe George bought the place from Nik Krankl, the former owner, so it would make sense he'd convert it to his brand. I'll have to stop by next time I'm in Newton.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
docnlaw

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2012, 12:48pm

Stopped by this morning and had a double shot of Daterra.  Almost as good as home.  Bottomless filter used by barrista and shot was timed.  Shop is small and will get crowded during prime hours.  I will stick with ordering my beans and brewing at home.  Free shot came with bag of beans bought today.
tcosupreme

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 8:33pm

... And this is why this forum is awesome. I just landed in Boston, am actually STAYING with in-laws' extended family in newtonville, was not looking forward to the mornIng's supermarket brand French roast course grind brewed in a Krups steam machine, and lo and behold I check the site and now have mOrning plans that I'm really looking forward to!

...will post on the experience!
docnlaw

Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 2:21pm

Hope you enjoyed your visit.
tcosupreme

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 10:24am

OK; took me a while to post back here...

FANTASTIC!!! I was there every morning during my recent Boston visit.  Both the current blend, Alchemy (Kenya & Burundi I think), and the single-origin (a little harsh for my taste) were good.  Baristi Paul, Andrew, and Rachel were good (and in that order ;) for now at least!). I enjoyed straight shots of both, as well as a few macchiatos (Paul poured beautiful art in a 2-oz demi for me; impressive!)

Also had the opportunity to meet and chat up George briefly on one of my visits... Nice guy and obviously takes his coffee seriously enough to make this a destination if you're passing through the area like me.  

P.S., there's a Starbucks literally around the corner which was overflowing with customers; it's just said how many people would rather go there!!! (at the same time, it meant I didn't have to wait in line at George Howell's...)

tcosupreme: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)
docnlaw

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 5:18pm

Glad you enjoyed your stay and avoided the lines!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > George Howell...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207082033157)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+