Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
High End Espresso Machine Store in NYC?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > High End...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
iginfect
iginfect
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: vetrano
Grinder: versalab m3
Vac Pot: yama 5 cup
Drip: melior french press
Roaster: hot top kn-8828p
Posted Tue Jun 8, 2010, 2:16pm
Subject: Re: High End Espresso Machine Store in NYC?

I haven't lived in the city for a decade and a half but have walked down the Bowery probably hundreds of times. The Bowery below Houston was first restaurant supply, where I once bought a commercial grade juice squeezer in the 1980's and then lamp stores and flop houses then china town(where I've spend many many hours). There hasn't been a coffee/espresso place for 30 years there, the ganef claiming such is trying to sell diner quality coffee equipment; any espresso stock is not a specialty item and not their bread and butter. Your better off online /phone w/ Chris's coffee in Albany.

Marvin
 View Profile Link to this post
sherpakid

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 11, 2010, 9:06am

Marvin - so true. I called the place a 300 Bowery and while trying to ask them about their machines they told me to go to Gensaco.com and look at the machines and I can place an order for which one I like. Ummm, no thanks. Their product is limited and the guy on the phone was just selling stuff. It could be office printers for all he cared, he's just selling stuff.

So anyone who read my previous post - IGNORE. Not worth your time checking that place out. I think if you live in NYC, it's probably worth the drive up to Albany to Chris's Coffee. That's what I'm going to do when I'm ready to make my next purchase.

www.nobletreecoffee.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 6:22am

iginfect Said:

Your (sic) better off online /phone w/ Chris's coffee in Albany.

Posted June 8, 2010 link

I think that's true regardless of where you live . . . unless you live in Albany, NY or Manalapan, NJ.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Reggie

Posted Thu Jul 1, 2010, 10:04am

Cafe Grumpy at 224 W 20th Street sells the Rocket Espresso Machine (http://www.rocket-espresso.it).
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Jul 1, 2010, 11:11am

And some Williams;Sonoma locations sell the Elektra semi-automatica, but the two best places (IMHO) with large showrooms that showcase multiple machines from multiple manufacturers are Chris' Coffee Service in Albany (worth the drive) or 1st-Line Equipment in Manalapan, NJ (also worth the drive).  Be sure to make an appointment first.

Cheers,
Jason

Oh, and there's also Whole Latte Love in Rochester, NY, but I don't know if they have a showroom.

stanley_c_wong

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Office Control, Silvia,...
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 11:05pm

I was in NYC earlier this year and I was surprised I could not find a shop with a range of espresso machines.  I think I saw a couple of consumer grade machines in one shop but that is about it.

I did walk past Porto Rico, too bad I did not go in.

I had the impression that coffee was an integral part of life in NYC, and Seattle.  So I thought places like Chris coffee and Wholelattelove would be all over the city.  From the number of quality coffee shops around the city, there are plenty of coffeegeeks in NYC!

Well, at least you DO have such shops, even if it is a drive from the city.
beerANDmathematics
beerANDmathematics

Espresso: Sama Export, La Peppina,...
Grinder: OE Pharos+VDD, Lido2,...
Vac Pot: Cona B + CoffeeBoS Brew...
Drip: hario woodneck, kalita wave...
Roaster: popcorn popper but rather...
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 12:47pm

this is an old thread, but I am shocked that I can't find a brick and mortar prosumer-level espresso machine shop in the nyc area! Tried looking in google and no luck... sads
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 6:05am

Maybe it's me, but I'm not at all surprised . . . the market is large enough for several "superstores" -- Chris' Coffee Service and 1st-Line (in upstate New York and New Jersey, respectively), along with a few "sub-contractors" but Manhattan is too expensive and the market too small to make a brick-and-mortar operation feasible, let alone profitable.

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > High End...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238055944443)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+