Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Blue State Coffee
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Blue State...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011, 8:38am
Subject: Blue State Coffee

I'd never heard of them before yesterday, so now I'm curious as to what kind of quality they produce. Looks like they try to keep things fresh, and they're the only place I can find online currently that offers Cascara - from Aida Batlle no less. Anybody dealt with them before, particularly through their web store?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
aindfan

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:08am
Subject: Re: Blue State Coffee

They have two stores in New Haven, CT, both of which have great espresso and single-cup brewed (as well as larger brew pots) coffee.  They started roasting their own coffee recently (as far as I know) and as far as my taste buds are concerned, their quality is perfectly good.

Let us know what you think if you place an order!
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:30am

+1 on their overall attention to detail/quality. I had coffee at one of their Boston locations last Nov. and was impressed.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011, 11:39am

Well, just ordered some cascara from them. Sounds like it's last year's batch, since Aida may not have even finished her coffee production yet (based on some correspondence with Counter Culture). I'm surprised this underdog is the last one out there to have it!
Blue State's site is based in Wordpress, so it feels a little dodgy, but I verified 256-bit encryption through the whole transaction. Their shipping seems a little expensive - $5 for a half pound of tea, one state over. I dunno, maybe I just need to see the box, I can't properly visualize the volume of 8 ounces of coffee husks. We'll see how fast the processing is; they say they roast Wednesdays and ship beans Thursdays (so orders after 8 AM Weds. get shipped the next week), but this of course is unroasted, and theoretically ready to ship tomorrow.
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011, 1:24pm

Nice. Hope you like it! $11 for 8 oz. is a good deal. In comparison, I paid $9.95 for just 4 oz. of Aida's Finca Kilimanjaro cascara in Dec. (bought through Counter Culture).

I noticed that Blue State's site suggests adding cascara to your granola/trail mix. Feel free to ignore that advice (just finished chewing on a husk myself and didn't relish the experience).

Oh, and here's what 1 oz. of cascara looks like. It's right up to the 150 ml line in a standard Pyrex.

jbviau: cascara.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011, 10:26am

Steve, can we get an update whenever you have a moment? Hope everything was to your liking!
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:17pm

Yes indeed, it was. They shipped the following day, the cascara took 3 days to arrive (USPS), and tastes...well, I'll get to that. Despite some oddities in their online operation, Blue State performs just as well as any other coffee roasting business, I'd say. They're clear about their roasting/shipping practices, and it seems they don't slack on non-coffee orders. Still, it would be nice to have a more typical e-commerce setup, as the whole Wordpress sign-up and forms smell fishy. If I had to complain about anything, it would be that.
Cascara is both exactly what I thought it would be, and totally strange. I don't really like the stuff plain, but I kindof like it regardless. Straight, brewed according to Blue State's recipe, it's like dried cherries, a little more tart, tasting like there's been pear juice added maybe. It's not particularly sweet, and definitely not bitter by any means. It's simply very juice-like, which is what bothers me about it; I can't say I really enjoy hot cherry juice. Cold, it lost a lot of character, and just tastes watery. I've been playing with it a lot, and what I like to do best at this point is brew per the recipe, but add some good black tea in, at a 3:1 cascara:tea ratio. Since the cascara starts with very near-boiling water, I keep the tea out of the mix until it's about 200 F, then add, stir, and steep for maybe another two minutes. I finish with a drizzle of honey, to add some floral sweetness. With the tea and honey added, the whole beverage is totally rounded out, well-balanced, lightly sweet, slightly tangy, and has that little tinge of carbon to remind you there's oxidized tea in the mix. It's very, very tasty, but the iced version needs work. I think what I'll do is try to just combine iced tea and iced cascara until I get the ratio right, maybe I'll update with that as well.
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011, 6:39pm

Fun. I've never tried iced cascara, so I'd be interested to hear about whatever sweet spot you manage to find with it. Back to hot cascara, have you experimented with adding spices? This isn't the season really, but around Christmas I steeped my cascara with ginger and cinnamon and then sweetened with simple syrup IIRC (or maybe honey). That seemed to work pretty well.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 3:16pm

Not about coffee tea but about coffee.

I was in Boston for several days, well Framingham and driving back and forth was not what I wanted to do. Tollways, blah. (California girl) and they drive as crazy as they do in LA.

But on my way back to the airport, I had time and picked somewhere sort of at random. Ended up at Blue State because I liked what was said about them and that they donate a bit of all profits to charity. To me, giving back to the community is a serious plus. It was near a University campus, and that always makes me concerned I'll stand out as being old enough to be everyone's grandmother and that the noise level will be too high, neither was an issue.

I ended up with an Ethiopian pourover that wasn't on the list. It was the tale end of a batch and it was good.

But what I really liked was chatting with the barista. We talked about places we had both been in SF and planned trip to Portland for the US Barista competition next year (She's competing in the NE and going whether she wins a place or not). I liked her dedication to her craft and her knowledge of what she does.

It goes a long way toward making a great experience to me.

cerridwyn: IMG_20131121_094925_539-001.jpg
(Click for larger image)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Blue State...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245579004288)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+