Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Subject: Atlanta Area and North Georgia GeekTogether - Winter 2009 Edition
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Subject: Atlanta...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
verde
verde
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zass, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Cory, Kent, Vaculator
Drip: Melitta Clarity, Chemex
Roaster: Heatgun/BreadMachineBowl aka...
Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 1:30pm
Subject: Subject: Atlanta Area and North Georgia GeekTogether - Winter 2009 Edition

We have been invited to hold our next GeekTogether at Counter Culture Coffee's new cupping room near Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta. It will be a coffee appreciation day. After an Intro to Cupping, the homeroasters amongst us will be invited to share our artisan coffees in an "Open Cupping" session. (Bring 3 oz of your finest home roasted beans to share, if you'd like.) Afterwards CCC will strut their stuff.

Our host, David LaMont , have also invited us to play with their new Clover brewer as well as to try our hands at espresso on their La Marzocco FB80. There will also be demonstrations of latte art. They have some kind of new "water machine". I'm not quite sure what it is about, but David sounded excited about it.

We will have an assortment of home roasting equipment there, but we won't be able to do any actual roasting this time because the venue is a restored historical structure. (Think old wooden buildings.)

This should be a fine afternoon for coffee fans of all kinds.

So, come join us on Saturday January 24th at 2pm at the King Plow Arts Center, 887 West Marietta St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318. Please check Google or Yahoo maps for specific directions. "The Food Studio" (next door) has closed, but there are still excellent on-line maps available.

If you think you might be attending, please let me know either here or off-list so we can give them a head count. Bring a friend, if you'd like.

Some of you always ask if you can bring snacks or a put luck dish. The answer this time is definitely "Yes."
If you are interested in roasting some beans for this meeting and are looking for a suggestion, think African.

I hope to see you there.

David
 View Profile Link to this post
kaffidrikker

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, KyM 9481...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Drip: Chemex, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009, 9:07pm
Subject: Re: Subject: Atlanta Area and North Georgia GeekTogether - Winter 2009 Edition

Upstate SC novices welcome? Completely understand if this only for advanced or "in-state" people - no offense will be taken. Just seems fascinating and would be a great place to learn :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
verde
verde

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2009, 6:15am
Subject: Re: Subject: Atlanta Area and North Georgia GeekTogether - Winter 2009 Edition

SC, by all means.  All are welcome, so please come join us.
We're not an exclusive group.  We just meet for fun.

Come and bring a friend.
kaffidrikker

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, KyM 9481...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Drip: Chemex, Clever Dripper
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009, 2:45pm

Sounds great! Thanks! My wife and i are coming. Was is the cost of the event?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
verde
verde

Posted Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:22pm

Zero. zilch, nada, nichevo, nichts.
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2009, 9:21pm

verde Said:

Our host, David LaMont , have also invited us to play with their new Clover brewer as well as to try our hands at espresso on their La Marzocco FB80.

Posted January 13, 2009 link

I live in California so I can't make it but since people can play with the Clover I have a request. Is it possible for someone to make coffee on the Clover using a blade grinder to grind the beans. Blade grinder must be somewhat new so blades are sharp. I understand that blades chop, and thus not grind the beans. The chopping heats up the grinds resulting in loss of flavor. The blade grinder grind size is poor, so the small/dust grinds will get overextracted and make the coffee bitter. The larger grinds get underextracted so impart less flavor to the coffee. So based upon this a blade grinder should not be able to produce a good cup of coffee on the Clover. I still would like to know if it is possible to make drinkable coffee using a blade grinder. The flavor profile should still be there. If this test is possible and report the results here that would be nice.

Maybe someone can pull shots on a home machine and compare the results with the FB80. Does the FB80 extract more flavor than a home model or is the FB80 more consistent due to better temperature control. Use the same grinder for both the FB80 and home model of course.
verde
verde

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 1:24am

GaryH Said:

I live in California so I can't make it but since people can play with the Clover I have a request.

Posted January 23, 2009 link

That's a fair question, but I'm afraid it won't get answered.  David LaMont just told me that since Starbucks bought Clover, CCC ditched it.  They had it because it was innovative.  I guess that the Starbucks touch is the end of being "innovative."

So, the Clover is not there anymore.  Sorry,...for all of us who still like to play.  :(
networkcrasher
networkcrasher

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 12:56am

SHIZA!  I just saw this thread and would totally have been able to come by today.  Hell, I would have dragged in my GS3 and roasters if it would have been worth it.  CRAP CRAP CRAP!  Been wanting to play with the Robur again too...

I need to get on LaMont's distro list for functions like this...

I would have roasted up some of my Esmeralda Geisha too...
verde
verde

Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 1:28am

networkcrasher Said:

I need to get on LaMont's distro list for functions like this...

Posted January 25, 2009 link

Send me an email to my addy listed here at CG.  I'll put you on the list.

David Y.
Atlanta
networkcrasher
networkcrasher

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: Nino, M3, SJ, Rocky
Vac Pot: GCBC Yama
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hot Top, Behmor, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 1:39am

Done (and thanks)!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Subject: Atlanta...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308483839035)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+