Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Do you dare rate Pittsburgh's coffee bars?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Do you dare rate...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 58 of 59 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009, 3:07am
Subject: Re: Do you dare rate Pittsburgh's coffee bars?

So, JR, did you make it to Taza d'Oro, Big Dog, etc.? Also, you really should make a Mt. Lebanon run to check out Aldo's & Blue Horse.

Len, a.k.a. Worldman
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009, 8:32am

Worldman Said:

So, JR, did you make it to Taza d'Oro, Big Dog, etc.? Also, you really should make a Mt. Lebanon run to check out Aldo's & Blue Horse.

Posted August 26, 2009 link

I had a trip planned at the beginning of August, but it got canceled and I have not been back yet.

Thanks.
Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
the_coffee_nazi
the_coffee_nazi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Macap M4, Barazta Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009, 1:24pm

AldoCoffee Said:

To be fair, LP is a traditional Italian stand-up bar and as such, serving latte in a glass in not unusual.  A number of "better" shops do the same, though not in Pgh and with good microfoam. At LP short drinks are what you want to order.

21st has a location in the Frick Bldg.  There's a new standup bar called Asylum that should be open by your next trip - it's a bit out of downtown, about 7 blocks east of Duquense in the "Uptown" area.  Went to a pre-opening there and the shots I had were very good.  Otherwise hard to recommend espresso in the downtown area, but admittedly we haven't tried everything down there in awhile.  Voluto, Espresso al Mano and Tazza d'Oro would be on any short list if you're exploring the city.

If you do come to the burbs in Mt. Lebanon, we strongly suggest also visiting Il Pizzaolo for a DOC Margherita pizza.

Posted July 30, 2009 link

Hi,

thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm here now to drop off my daughter at Point Park.  I'm staying at the Sheraton Station Square.  So,  I'm thinking of trying Big Dog tonight after dinner, and, since there's a 21st coffee in the Frick Bldg, I'm going to stop by there thurs or friday for some 'spro.  I'm dying to try Aldo and Blue Horse,  but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it out there this trip.  Is it easy to take the "T" out there?  I may do that, since we flew here and I don't have a car. I'm only staying until Saturday, so I'm not sure about the time.  You know, looking out the window at downtown, Pittsburgh us really an awesome city. I'm sure I'll be here many times over the next four years visiting, drinking coffee, and eating. Speaking of eating, can anyone recommend a good Italian place near Big Dog on 21st and Sarah? I know there are lots of places on Carson, but I was hoping I could use the restaurant to get my daughter in a cab from here to the restaurant and "discover" the coffee shop (pretty sneaky, I know, but I think she's on to me).

Oh, and I really didn't mean to 'diss La Prima.  The fact that they've here so long is a testament to their coffee house.  I was merely espressing my opinion and no offense was intended.  Sometimes being a coffee snot makes me a little too opininated!

thanks again!
Steve

No Coffee for you!
mayhew

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Maestro +
Posted Wed Aug 26, 2009, 5:07pm

The T is reasonably easy to take. It's like most things Pittsburgh, if you needed to know you already do :)

Seriously, get on one of the S lines. The number doesn't matter, just make sure it's S (42 I think although there's also a 47 I think) Take that to the Mt. Lebanon stop. Should be roughly 20 minutes. There's a map in each train. Pay $2 (exact change!) as you exit the T. Off the T, up the stair, cross the street, up the stairs again. The head left for ~1 block and you're there.

I live a block away from Aldo. Feel free to contact me if you need/want help.
csmayhew at gmail dot com
AldoCoffee
AldoCoffee

Espresso: Linea, Cimbali Jr
Grinder: 2 Jollys, Swift, Zass,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA2, Yama TCA5
Drip: Fetco, Abid, V60, Chemex
Roaster: Stumptown, Intelli, LaVerdad
Posted Fri Aug 28, 2009, 6:17am

the_coffee_nazi Said:

Speaking of eating, can anyone recommend a good Italian place near Big Dog on 21st and Sarah? I know there are lots of places on Carson, but I was hoping I could use the restaurant to get my daughter in a cab from here to the restaurant and "discover" the coffee shop (pretty sneaky, I know, but I think she's on to me).

Big Dog is actually 27th and Sarah.  

Best Italian over there is Dish Osteria, 10 block walk (South 17th and Sarah).  Very good with concentration on Sicilian seafood.  Oddly not much other good Italian on Southside, but many non-Italian options.  If you can, definitely try Yo Rita! asap (Carson/11th).  Amazingly creative tacos you're not going to find anywhere else.  Would also recommend Mallorca, Ibiza, 17th St. Cafe, Mantini's Woodfired as good choices on Carson.
21streetcoffee

Espresso: 2x Synesso Cyncra 2 Group,...
Grinder: 2x Mazzer Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Hario, Yama
Drip: Clover 1s, Chemex, Filtron,...
Roaster: The Intelligentsia
Posted Fri Sep 18, 2009, 10:24am

We will be opening a new, larger location downtown.  It's going to be good, very very good.
http://21streetcoffee.com/2009/09/18/number-three/

www.21streetcoffee.com
JR
JR

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:42am

21streetcoffee Said:

We will be opening a new, larger location downtown.  It's going to be good, very very good.
http://21streetcoffee.com/2009/09/18/number-three/

Posted September 18, 2009 link

When?

Worldman Said:

Len, a.k.a. Worldman
Len's Espresso Blends

Len, I'm in Pittsburgh now, but heading home tomorrow.  Got time for a shot tonight?  (I'm buying!)

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JR
JR

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2009, 4:23pm

I'm sitting at Tazza D'Oro right now.  Started with a REALLY good macchiato, and I'm going to drink myself into a caffeine overdose!

I'll buy for any CG member who happens to drop in before I leave...

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
turnitout
turnitout

Posted Mon Oct 19, 2009, 6:28pm

a little help on this new thread. . .please?

"Pittsburgh's Top Coffee Bars (Fall 2009 Revision)"
jakeliefer

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 17, 2009, 9:10am

This Thursday we'll be hosting Edwin Martinez, owner of Finca Vista Hermosa, for Meet The Farmer: A Discussion on Farming and Direct Trade. We're 45 minutes northwest of Pittsburgh, at 3219 4th Ave Beaver Falls, PA. Anyone passionate about coffee, trade issues, and sustainability is welcome and encouraged to attend.
showing page 58 of 59 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Do you dare rate...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330446958542)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+