Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Do you dare rate Pittsburgh's coffee bars?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Do you dare rate...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 57 of 59 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mayhew

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Maestro +
Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009, 10:09am
Subject: Re: Do you dare rate Pittsburgh's coffee bars?

La Prima is more about atmosphere. Their roster is basically across the street from 21st Coffee and Tea. They also have a showroom for espresso machines.

Has Matt's new place in Lawerenceville opened yet? If so it should be about 1.5miles from La Prima. Voluto is probably about the same distance away as well. A long walk but a short easy car drive to either of them.

Since you're downtown get on the Trolley (also called "the T") and come out to Mt. Lebanon and hit Aldo's. They're right next to the T stop here in Mt Lebaonon.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
21streetcoffee

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 2x Synesso Cyncra 2 Group,...
Grinder: 2x Mazzer Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Hario, Yama
Drip: Clover 1s, Chemex, Filtron,...
Roaster: The Intelligentsia
Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009, 12:34pm

I really enjoyed spending time in Pittsburgh.  I read this thread before going, and decided to try La Prima and 21st Coffee in the strip on a Saturday. I really enjoyed my latte at 21st street coffee

Thanks for visiting, glad you enjoyed Pittsburgh and our coffee.  You never know if you can believe what you read on the internet :)

BTW CG's, today is 2 years since we moved to the corner location in the Strip.  That went by fast.

www.21streetcoffee.com
bluehorse

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2009, 7:31am

Hi Steve/Bluesman13 - Your daughter has chosen a fine institution. Point Park is a growing, well-respected educational presence here. My brother graduated from there in 1983, and he still happily utilizes his degree skills in his job as a corporate writer for a local company. The school has changed tremendously since my brother attended, and I think that it's a much more student-friendly and vibrant school these days.

As for coffee, well, if you're driving to Pittsburgh, you can get in your car from Point Park U., go through the Liberty Tunnel from downtown, head south on Rt. 19, and in 8-10 miles, enjoy Pittsburgh's best coffeehouse (as voted by readers of the Post-Gazette this year and last, as well as Pittsburgh Magazine 2007). We serve Counter Culture coffee, Capogiro Gelato (a Bon Appetit Magazine top 10 ice cream), and homemade baked goods, quiche and wraps. Heck, we're only about a mile south of Aldo's, so if you're in your car anyway, you might as well check out both shops. We've been here longer than everyone that's usually mentioned on this site (5 1/2 years) except for La Prima and Tazza d'Oro, and there are plenty of good reasons for our longevity.

We hope to meet you soon, Steve.

Thanks,
Melissa
21streetcoffee

Posted Tue Jul 28, 2009, 7:44am

Chiming in...

bluehorse Said:

Hi Steve/Bluesman13 - Your daughter has chosen a fine institution. Point Park is a growing, well-respected educational presence here. My brother graduated from there in 1983, and he still happily utilizes his degree skills in his job as a corporate writer for a local company. The school has changed tremendously since my brother attended, and I think that it's a much more student-friendly and vibrant school these days.

Posted July 28, 2009 link

We've had several PPU students work for us over the years- seems like a great school with quality kids.  I'd hire more if we had openings :)

As for coffee, well, if you're driving to Pittsburgh, you can get in your car from Point Park U., go through the Liberty Tunnel from downtown, head south on Rt. 19, and in 8-10 miles, enjoy Pittsburgh's best coffeehouse (as voted by readers of the Post-Gazette this year and last, as well as Pittsburgh Magazine 2007). We serve Counter Culture coffee, Capogiro Gelato (a Bon Appetit Magazine top 10 ice cream), and homemade baked goods, quiche and wraps. Heck, we're only about a mile south of Aldo's, so if you're in your car anyway, you might as well check out both shops. We've been here longer than everyone that's usually mentioned on this site (5 1/2 years) except for La Prima and Tazza d'Oro, and there are plenty of good reasons for our longevity.

We hope to meet you soon, Steve.

Thanks,
Melissa

I have had really good experiences the several times I've been to Blue Horse (don't get out much).  Espresso is done right, and the place is comfy and spacious.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are Counter Culture's original Pennsylvania customer.  They host cuppings, the baristas have competed multiple times, and they're all nice people to boot.  And yeah, they've been doing this for a while :)

www.21streetcoffee.com
AldoCoffee
AldoCoffee

Espresso: Linea, Cimbali Jr
Grinder: 2 Jollys, Swift, Zass,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA2, Yama TCA5
Drip: Fetco, Abid, V60, Chemex
Roaster: Stumptown, Intelli, LaVerdad
Posted Thu Jul 30, 2009, 9:57am

the_coffee_nazi Said:

My latte at La Prima was served in a glass, with a thick head of over-steamed milk.  I loved the atmosphere though, with the tables outside,  lots of older men talking, playing cards, etc  - looked liked regulars.  It appeared that they used their own roast for the espresso.  

Posted July 27, 2009 link

To be fair, LP is a traditional Italian stand-up bar and as such, serving latte in a glass in not unusual.  A number of "better" shops do the same, though not in Pgh and with good microfoam. At LP short drinks are what you want to order.

the_coffee_nazi Said:

Since I'm returning again at the end of Aug, and will be visiting on occasion,  are there any other places that I should try (not to far from downtown)?  

Steve

Posted July 27, 2009 link

21st has a location in the Frick Bldg.  There's a new standup bar called Asylum that should be open by your next trip - it's a bit out of downtown, about 7 blocks east of Duquense in the "Uptown" area.  Went to a pre-opening there and the shots I had were very good.  Otherwise hard to recommend espresso in the downtown area, but admittedly we haven't tried everything down there in awhile.  Voluto, Espresso al Mano and Tazza d'Oro would be on any short list if you're exploring the city.

If you do come to the burbs in Mt. Lebanon, we strongly suggest also visiting Il Pizzaolo for a DOC Margherita pizza.
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Thu Jul 30, 2009, 4:19pm

Last time I was in PGH, I was disappointed to find that very few shops seem to be open after the dinner hour.  Is there anything good open after 7:00 PM that's not too far from Coraopolis?

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
21streetcoffee

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2009, 4:40pm

The fact is that very few people can be found in downtown Pittsburgh after 5pm (they're mostly in their cars headed home), so that's why we close at 4pm.  Because everything closes early, there is nothing to do so people leave.  Hopefully as more people move into downtown this will change.

www.21streetcoffee.com
JR
JR

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2009, 6:41pm

21streetcoffee Said:

The fact is that very few people can be found in downtown Pittsburgh after 5pm (they're mostly in their cars headed home), so that's why we close at 4pm.  Because everything closes early, there is nothing to do so people leave.  Hopefully as more people move into downtown this will change.

Posted July 30, 2009 link

Yes, that's a no-brainer. ;)  Last time I visited, I saw EXACTLY what you're talking about.  I'm wondering what IS still open that's good--not necessarily downtown.  When I'm there, it's on business.  I don't get much free time during the work day, but after work, I'd love to find a place for coffee.

Thanks.
Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
AldoCoffee
AldoCoffee

Espresso: Linea, Cimbali Jr
Grinder: 2 Jollys, Swift, Zass,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA2, Yama TCA5
Drip: Fetco, Abid, V60, Chemex
Roaster: Stumptown, Intelli, LaVerdad
Posted Fri Jul 31, 2009, 6:35am

JR - Tazza d'Oro in Highland Park is usually open until 9 or 10pm.  Great coffee from Verve, great staff, great atmosphere in a neighborhood that really supports the shop.

Big Dog on the Southside (27th and Sarah) is also open until 10pm. They serve Intelligentsia. Great ambience over there as well.

Various shops in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are also open late.
JR
JR

Posted Fri Jul 31, 2009, 6:38pm

AldoCoffee Said:

JR - Tazza d'Oro in Highland Park is usually open until 9 or 10pm.  Great coffee from Verve, great staff, great atmosphere in a neighborhood that really supports the shop.

Big Dog on the Southside (27th and Sarah) is also open until 10pm. They serve Intelligentsia. Great ambience over there as well.

Various shops in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are also open late.

Posted July 31, 2009 link

Thanks!  Next stop: Google Maps!

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
showing page 57 of 59 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Do you dare rate...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.317089080811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+