Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
good brew in the atlanta-charlotte-charleston triangle
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > good brew in the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
ElGallo
ElGallo
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 30, 2008, 6:39am
Subject: Re: good brew in the atlanta-charlotte-charleston triangle

I'd like to throw City Lights Cafe up for mention in Charleston.  Shawn (or something like that, too bloody many spellings for that name) has a pretty good thing going on Market Street.  The standardization of the baristas leaves a little bit to be desired, but if the right person pulls for you, you'll get a superior cappuccino.  I'm also very happy with the whole beans he sells.  Also, it's a great environment.
 View Profile Link to this post
smokedetector

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Millenium SDE2
Grinder: M.F.M., S.L.   N1664
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri Jan 9, 2009, 6:34am

In Athens Jittery Joes is the best. Go to the roaster on broad st. not the smaller shops. Coffee is roasted daily and the baristas know what they are doing.
Bolavens

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 8:01am

I have just been through Georgia and South Carolina and can report back.  Espressomap is good, though there are a few omissions.  He needs to add Method in Atlanta and Brew in Fort Lauderdale, and his coverage of Vancouver and Toronto is shaky at best.  But his standards are high and I like that.

As for this particular region:

In Atlanta, Method and Octane are both excellent.  Method is a fairly new place across from the Emory campus, pulling Black Cat.  1593 N. Decatur Rd

I was disappointed with all of the Charleston recommendations.  Nice equipment but burnt shots all around and microfoam seems to be a mystery.  There was even a new place down in the historic district that is worth mentioning in the same breath as the other places here (Kudu et al).  It was called Baked (160 East Bay), and they've got a Marzocco and use Stumptown beans (though I'm not sure they used these for espresso, I probably should have asked).  

I agree with what's been said about Columbia, particularly with respect to espresso. Savannah didn't do anything for me either on that front.
drewharris

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:24am

We own a great little coffee/wine shop on Sullivan's Island...outside Charleston, SC.  Come check us out!  We use Counter Culture.

Either way, because this post is geographically relevant, we have an old Rancillio espresso machine that we replaced when we went to Counter Culture.  

Anyone interested in it for parts?  It's a two group Tecna DE.  And honestly, it's been sitting outside in a shed for almost 2 years.  

Please email me at drew@cafemedley.com if interested.
MarkJackson

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S-24, Expobar...
Grinder: Ranc Rocky, Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 7:59am

I was in your Cafe about two months ago you have a very good barista and I really enjoyed myself. Also had a great burger at Poes.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > good brew in the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.177934885025)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+