Regional: United States East
Boston/Cambridge
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Boston/Cambridge  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
wogaut
wogaut
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Elektra Nino
Roaster: Hottop+PID
Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010, 1:36pm
Subject: Re: Boston/Cambridge

bsalinas Said:

While we're digging up really old posts, I figure I'd mention Pavement Coffee House which opened this past Monday in Boston (Mass Ave and Boylston).  It is run by the folks at ERC.  The shop, which is beautifully designed, includes a rotating guest espresso(s?), and a rotating pourover (Hario V60s) bar with roasters including Barismo, Counter Culture, Atomic Cafe and others.  They are very serious about their coffee.  If you're in the area, check it out.

Posted April 21, 2010 link

Pavement Coffee House is fantastic, thanks for the info!
I just had a double espresso there pulled from a beautiful LM GB5 & Roburs. Very tasty and enjoyable. They also have Intelly BC as guest espresso, but when I was there they ran out of it, but anyways, I was definitely impressed. Also took an iced coffee to go, very smooth.
Their location is good too; just getting off the subway at Hynes Conference Center, a 5 minute stroll down Mass. Ave.

Wolfgang
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Aug 11, 2010, 7:35pm

Barismo! I only managed to get out to a couple of shops this week, while I'm in Newton, but Barismo was by far the best experience. The barista I talked to (for about an hour) was very knowledgeable, very passionate, and very eager to share. The espresso (Trinidad SO) was great, very well-balanced, with caramel and chocolate notes. I got a cup of cold brew too, which was smooth and delicious; I didn't ask the origin though. I also picked up a bag of their Brazil São Judas Tadeu, which I'm very excited to try out. Definitely worth the trip out to Arlington to visit them.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 2:31pm

I'm going to a conference at the Cambridge Hyatt Regency next month. Are there any good cafes in walking distance?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 6:54pm

Ron, how far are you willing to walk? I've stayed at that hotel before. If you cross the river and head right on Commonwealth Ave., you'll hit Blue State. It was the best local option the last time I checked.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 7:33am

That's a good question.  I suppose early in the morning before the conf starts only a block or two, but later in the day, I wouldn't mind a nice long walk - especially in Boston in early October.  At night, at least a couple of times, I'll be hanging with my brother and sister-in-law (since he loves there).  They've got my old Silvia v1 (wand mod) and a Preciso, so I'm set there.  Sounds like I may need to bring my Aeropress and Lido.

MassJava

Espresso: Quick Mill Achille
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 6:28pm

You can walk to the following Cambridge Cafe's from the hotel
Cafe 1389- Central Square 20 min
Dwell Time - Central Square 30 min
Area 4 - Kendall Square 20 min
Voltage Cafe Kendall Square 30 min
Simon's Cafe Porter Square 40 min

On this side of the river
Block 11 Cafe - Somerville 30 min
Barismo roastery - Arlington 60+ min (I think owned by Dwell Time)

You can walk to the Boston side of the river (30 - 40 min), but won't find any better.
Email me if you want more information
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 8:52am

emradguy Said:

I'll be hanging with my brother and sister-in-law (since he loves there).  They've got my old Silvia v1 (wand mod) and a Preciso, so I'm set there.

Posted September 12, 2013 link

Well, my trip is coming up soon.  I was just in town for a wedding last weekend and found out my bro-in-law didn't have fresh beans, didn't have his Preciso properly dialed in (how could he with old beans) and, more importantly, hadn't changed the group gasket on the Silvia (even though I warned him about a simple 2 minute job being turned into a 2 hour nightmare.  The thing was hard as a rock! (and I left it that way)  When I tightened the grind to try to compensate for the staleness, the water just leaked over the top pf the basket, since there wasn't a good seal...then I ended up at South End Buttery. I posted a brief review in another thread but, since this is a more appropriate place...

They had a couple of Mazzer titans (I forget what machine at the moment - if I ever knew).  The shots ran about 25-30 seconds, but were done in about 15-20, so overextracted.  Milk frothing techniques were horrible and they scalded the milk on top of that...even when they knew the drinks were for here! My wife burned her tongue worse than I did.

So...I'm now thinking I will definitely be visiting one or more of the Cambridge cafes and maybe an hour trip each morning will be good for me?  Might still being the Lido and AP though...we'll see.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 10:06am

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the tips.  I'm sad to say, I didn't make it to any of them...so I have to apologize for wasting your time (at least for the time being).  I brought my Aeropress with me, and then fully intended to go for the short walk at least once, but then I came down with a cold while I was there and just didn't feel like over-exerting, so the one day I was able to get out and do some walking, was in the opposite direction to Newbury, to buy gifts for my family (since they couldn't come with me).

MassJava

Espresso: Quick Mill Achille
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 7:15pm

No waste of time, especially if it will help others new to the area. I can add "Simon's Too" halfway between Harvard and Central Squares. They served me a delicious Barismo blend a couple of days ago. Perfectly pulled. Let me know next time you visit & I can arrange a tour.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Boston/Cambridge  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275771141052)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+