Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Boston/Cambridge
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Boston/Cambridge  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mhodges

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Roaster: Fresh Roast+
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2002, 7:56pm
Subject: Re: Boston/Cambridge

I had heard that George Howell was going to be opening a new cafe, but I had read something (on alt.coffee, I think) that said the new place was going to be in Cambridge.  Is it definitely going to be in Lexington?  

As far as roasters are concerned, I have also heard of Armeno.  The only other place I have found is downtown, near the financial district.  The name is "Cafe Au Lait" and it is located on Washington St. just past the large Border's Bookstore (on the corner of Washington and School St.) on the same side of the street.  Cafe Au Lait has a Probat roaster and sells by the pound.  I have never tried it as I roast my own, but I have noticed fresh roasted beans 'resting' when I have passed the place.  I have tried the espresso there are number of times and they have NO IDEA how to make a decent espresso.  I would also be sure to ask if they know when the coffee was roasted just to be sure that it is fresh (I cannot be sure how quickly they go through their 'fresh roasted' coffee).

Cafe Au Lait does have a wide selection of various beans and blends from which to choose.

Regards,
Matt
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Greg

Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2002, 8:59am

I read in an article in the Globe last week that George Howell, along with a pastry chef (Vicki Lee Boyajian) and the founder of Bel Canto Restaurant (Henry Patterson), are opening a cafe/pastry/bar. It sounds like they're going to do it up nice. I'll be more than happy to support that.
Greg

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2002, 9:02am

Addendum to previous post; the article stated Lexington Center. Maybe they're doing more than one?
lataylor2

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2002, 9:11am

--- About George Howell ---
This page has some nice background on him and the Coffee Connection which he sold to Starbucks (it also talks about Black Bear's fight with Starbucks):
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/Starbucks/What's_it_all_about.htm

There's an article here about what he's planning to do in Lexington:
Click Here (realestate.boston.com)

I think he's well-respected in the coffee world, so I'm hoping his Lexington cafe will be another source for locally roasted coffee  - it's too bad he wasn't able to open something up in Harvard Square!

--- About Bread & Circus Coffee ---
I don't know much about the Allegro beans that they use, other than the fact that they roast them every day at the River St location and and their coffee isn't usually more than a day old. Also, I've noticed that their roasts are very consistent - I usually stop by twice a week to get beans and I don't have to adjust my grinders much from batch to batch. I like the Mocha Java and Decaf Columbian for espresso. Here's some info about Allegro beans and their roasting philosophy - much of it tracks with the info I've collected from alt.coffee and Sweet Maria's:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/cof_main.html
Greg

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2002, 10:38am

The Bread & Circus on Washington Street in Newton roasts in house also, at least once a week. They use Allegro beans at this location as well. I heard through another roaster that Allegro is a reputable supplier. I have to say I prefer the Armeno espresso blend to the bag I picked up at B&C. But to each their own.
Greg

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2002, 10:42am

lataylor2 Said:

--- About George Howell ---
This page has some nice background on him and the Coffee Connection which he sold to Starbucks (it also talks about Black Bear's fight with Starbucks):
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/Starbucks/What's_it_all_about.htm

I tried this link; you have to remove everything after .com to get the page up.
Greg

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2002, 3:15am

CoffeeKid Said:

I don't know anything about Boston, except for two things:

a) the downtown is being torn up and rebuilt because of some highway (or the removal of it, or the tunnelling of it, or something like that)
It's the largest public works project inthe history of the US. We love our pork! But you gotta see the new bridge going up. It's spectacular- almost worth the years of disruption, corruption, rats...

b) I'm gonna be there next year for the SCAA! Woo Hoo! Beantown, here I come!
Yeah! I look forward to meeting you.
Any idea of the specifics? (Date, place, speakers...)

Wait, I know a C. You guys hate tea. :)

We actually love tea; just couldn't find a pot big enough. Ah, the thought of English Breakfast at low tide; makes me thirsty for a cup of Joe.
steven

Expertise: Beginner

Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Fresh Roast +
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2002, 7:17am

Regarding Allegra...I just checked out the wholefoods link above and it appears as if the estimable Kevin Knox - of the book Coffee Basics - is behind Allegra.  That's enough for me.

I asked the roaster at the River Street B&C how they determined the profiles.  He said that he was actually the beer guy but was filling in - on the other hand, he said they had a coupla days of training and that word comes down from the master roasters, on-high at HQ, as to the temp and length of roast for each varietal, and they follow the corporate line.  He also said that individual customers can request specific roast profiles and that,while they are not supposed to sell green beans, they will, for the same price of the roasted ones.  Go figger.  

All in all, buying fresh at B&C might be a workable alternative for the winter months when the windows close and my roaster comes inside.
chinch

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2002, 8:31am

Cafe Vittoria was my favorite cup of espresso in Boston last time i was there. highly recommended along w/ the pastries.
 View Profile Link to this post
Greg

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002, 11:40am

I spent this morning with my wife scoping out coffee shops in the western burbs; Acton to be specific. For those interested, here's a quick review of the two we found:
Cafe Ziba on Great Road at the intersection of Rte 27

Nice looking place with lots of room inside. There were 6 tables and a sofa, with plenty of floor space. Sponge painted walls and "country" antique furnishings; a big glass storefront for lots of daylight. Very clean.
There were two young women behind the bar who were cheerful, and seemed to know their way around the machinery.
They had a Rancilio 2-group espresso machine which turned out a decent shot. I ordered a double cappuccino in a small cup. Unfortunately, the barrista doused it with so much milk, you could hardly taste the coffee. That seems to be a bothersome trend in many of the shops I've been in latley. If there is a distinction between cappuccino and latte, it's a matter of too much milk versus way too much.
They had excellent baked goods, and their brewed coffee was decent. We got there before they had the board up for specialty coffees, so we had the house blend; don't know what it was.

Blackbird Cafe on Spruce Street in West Acton Center

This is pretty much a brand new business in the same space as a previous coffee shop (used to be "Gourmet Temptations").
They had good brewed coffee and a killer muffin that I think was called Sunrise Surprise, or something along those lines; bran with carrot shreds. The muffin was apparently made in house, and was the best part of the whole experience.
There was a La Pavoni 2 group espresso machine with the portafilters sitting on top getting cold; I figured I could skip the cappa right off. Unfortunately, my wife wasn't paying attention and ordered one. Not a good scene. There was no sound of a grinder going the entire 45 minutes we were there, so they must have had the doser full up with ground coffee for hours. When her cappa came out it had tons of grounds on top of the foam; they ran the shot directly into the cup, then steamed the milk and poured into the coffee; and the coffee below was a greyish color. I returned it and asked for another from the owner, who was a very nice guy. He told me the person who made it was there for her first day on the floor, and he made another, no questions asked. The second was a vast improvement over the first.
The atmosphere was homey; there were 4 tables inside, a sofa, and one table outside in a small, cozy patio area. The place had a little bit of a grunge feel; the building is old, the counters are old, the bakery display is very old (and very cool); not sterile by any means, but I like that.

If anyone else has reviews or suggestions of places to check out, I'd be interested.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Boston/Cambridge  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207464933395)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+