Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
our way or the highway...San Antonio's premier cafe
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > our way or the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 4:44pm
Subject: our way or the highway...San Antonio's premier cafe

or so it seems at Brown Coffee Company in San Antonio on 1800 Broadway.

We were out there with the kids for President's Day weekend. I brought everything I needed to make coffee for me and the wife...MyPressi Twist, 2 extra NO2 cartridges, a spare pf basket, a scale, tamper, regular and decaf beans, a thermometer, and then I realized I left the grinder at home...arrrrrgggggghhh!!!!

So we went to Brown, a half hour drive from our hotel over by Sea World.  I explained to the barista how I make my wife's latte at home...basically a latte with only a half shot spro in it. Then he told me..."we don't customize"...huh?...you don't customize?...wtf?  No, really, they don't. Hell, they don't even make lattes the normal way. I mean, it's not like we were asking for a caramel mocha! Geez, you can't even get a double cappa there.  I wonder if they even serve drinks to go? Well, since we drove all that way...and there was no chance in hell I'd ever return...I got a cappa. It was really good, but I am still pissed off at the experience.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
victoriacoffees
victoriacoffees
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Pompei
Grinder: Compak K8 Fresh; Mythos...
Roaster: Ambex 15K; Hottop
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 8:06pm
Subject: Re: our way or the highway...San Antonio's premier cafe

I've never been there but have heard it was a nice place.

Most of the shops I know would gladly customize a drink within reason. Give them a second try, maybe the barista was having an off day.

-John
www.victoriacoffees.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 9:35pm

yeah, it's a nice place and they have great equipment, and the barista did a pretty good job - but I have to also say, I've had better drinks off a Robur/Slayer combo.  He wasn't the owner - who has been praised on HB.  Maybe this guy isn't allowed to customize...but that's not what he said.  He said "we don't", as in the entire cafe...ever.  If, and it's a big if, I ever went in there again...it would pretty much be to find out from the owner if that's really the case...that none of the baristi, including himself, ever make drinks tweaked in milk and espresso content to their customers taste.

An off day?  Well, that's a pretty remote chance.  The guy was pretty full of himself.  He actually tried to justify their stand by saying their shots are not bitter like other espressos...as if the baristi at that cafe are the only ones capable of producing a balanced shot...and as if no one who's never been to their cafe has ever had one.  It was like being condescending in a friendly way.

I've never been to any specialty cafe that wouldn't be willing to make a latte using only half a shot - which is how my wife likes them.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JuanR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014, 9:56am

I've had the same experience.  I've been there twice.  They make excellent espresso and coffee, but the policy is pretty ridiculous.  I don't use sugar or milk in my drinks, so the first time I went I didn't even notice this.  The second time I went with my wife and when she asked for a little bit of sugar for her cappuccino she was told no way.  They do have agave syrup that they use for one drink on their menu, but the barista said he was not allowed by store policy to add it to any other drinks.  So he was willing to make her that one drink, that she didn't want, but god forbid she should ask for some syrup or sugar in her cappuccino.  There is no reason to deny someone sugar if that's how they drink their coffee; she was not asking for some outlandish syrup, whipped cream, ice cream coffee shake concoction, just a teaspoon of sugar.

The barista was very nice and knowledgeable on his product (as well as knowledgeable about good restaurants in the area, which was great), and it was clear that this was a management decision that he was just abiding by as a good employee.  I've never been to another specialty shop that had this attitude, but I've been to quite a few shops that are much better than Brown that have no problem giving customers a little bit of sugar to add to their coffee.  I honestly don't see why they would make a big deal out of it.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:21am

No sugar rule huh?

I've been to places with a no sugar rule, but they provided house made simple syrup for customers.  Better blending in the drink was the driver I think.

No sugar at all seems a bit drastic and overboard.
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:30am

JuanR Said:

I've had the same experience.  I've been there twice.  They make excellent espresso and coffee, but the policy is pretty ridiculous.  I don't use sugar or milk in my drinks, so the first time I went I didn't even notice this.  The second time I went with my wife and when she asked for a little bit of sugar for her cappuccino she was told no way.  They do have agave syrup that they use for one drink on their menu, but the barista said he was not allowed by store policy to add it to any other drinks.  So he was willing to make her that one drink, that she didn't want, but god forbid she should ask for some syrup or sugar in her cappuccino.  There is no reason to deny someone sugar if that's how they drink their coffee; she was not asking for some outlandish syrup, whipped cream, ice cream coffee shake concoction, just a teaspoon of sugar.

The barista was very nice and knowledgeable on his product (as well as knowledgeable about good restaurants in the area, which was great), and it was clear that this was a management decision that he was just abiding by as a good employee.  I've never been to another specialty shop that had this attitude, but I've been to quite a few shops that are much better than Brown that have no problem giving customers a little bit of sugar to add to their coffee.  I honestly don't see why they would make a big deal out of it.

Posted July 22, 2014 link

Sounds like they are right up themselves  :/

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
grumpybarista
grumpybarista

Espresso: LP Pub1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini w/ doser, NS...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: French Press, aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:32am

Never have understood the reasoning that certain coffee shops have about denying a customer their choice. In virtually every other food/drink establishment you can customize your food or drink to you heart's content. But the snobbery about coffee has to end.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > our way or the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216660022736)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+