Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Chicago: CoffeeCon 2014
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Chicago:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 8:23pm
Subject: Chicago: CoffeeCon 2014

Thread from last year.

This year it's actually being held in Chicago (not Warrenville). Outgrew that wonderful IBEW venue -- but a great new site this year.

And as with last year, I'm recruiting volunteer craft roasters to acquaint the public with home roasting.

Last year, the whole home-roasting pavilion was really popular -- especially the HGDB table. I think those unaware of home roasting are simply delighted to discover that you can take up such common components and get good coffee out of it. She allowed attendees to try a hand with the heat gun (oven-mits for safety; another safety requirement is a GFI breaker for devices).

We also had some retail roasting machines on hand. Basically, folks not averse to hacking got to see hot-rod poppers and dog bowls, and folks who might prefer something turn-key saw the commercial machines. Something for everyone -- and that's the point. It was a good mix of home roasting technologies.

Please read last year's link (above), and if you're interested in participating chime in. The principal thread to organize this is over at GCBC, but there's no reason not to mirror that here.

Beans will be provided for roasting (we went through nearly a bag last year, and I suspect we'll run out this year), but you can bring your own as well. Bags and labels will be provided to offer samples to attendees. This is a volunteer effort. Full disclosure: This will cost me money. This is about fun and educating the public.

The home roasters enjoyed each others' company last year -- when we had time at all to talk. Be advised, you'll be swamped. I forgot to bring any bottled water last year, and it was hours before I had a chance to go inside for some. But participants are under no obligation to stay with their gear; they can sign up for sessions like any other attendee and flee the pavilion as they wish -- perhaps leaving your gear in the care of another home roaster to demonstrate in your absence. Few people did that last year, though. We were too busy answering questions by people who treated us like celebrities.    ;-)

Who's in?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RyanMason

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio S10 Lever
Grinder: Robur & Super Jollys
Drip: Chemex, Clever, FP
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 1:39pm
Subject: Re: Chicago: CoffeeCon 2014

Did I miss the date???
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 6:21pm

April 12. More information at the web site.
masonjer

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:13pm

This seems like the only Coffee Conference in Chicago this year.  I went to coffee fest last year, this seems like it is aimed directly at the consumer of all levels.  Do you think it's interesting enough if you are only interested in specialty coffee?  Do you know if specialty coffee roasters attend?  Do they have equipment demonstrations for espresso and commercial roasting at all?
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 4:02pm

masonjer Said:

This seems like the only Coffee Conference in Chicago this year.  I went to coffee fest last year, this seems like it is aimed directly at the consumer of all levels.  Do you think it's interesting enough if you are only interested in specialty coffee?  Do you know if specialty coffee roasters attend?  Do they have equipment demonstrations for espresso and commercial roasting at all?

Posted February 19, 2014 link

It's VERY interesting to consumers. Yes, specialty coffee roasters attend as exhibitors. There are no commercial roasting demos (as of yet), and although espresso has a footprint (Jim Schulman will again be doing a dead serious espresso session), that's still a growth area for CoffeeCon. The target audience is folks for whom literacy in specialty coffee may be relatively low. Having said that, coffee geeks I know personally have immensely enjoyed the show. There really is something for everyone. That's what make it work as a place where people can network outside their area of expertise.

Vendor confidence in the ongoing viability of the show is strong, and getting stronger.

It doesn't hurt that CoffeeCon will also be held in three additional cities around the country this year.

Meanwhile, I'm still recruiting volunteers. And I'll be recruiting for other cities as well.  :-)
Sutono
Sutono
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mirage
Drip: Fetco Extractor, French...
Roaster: Probat, Diedrich, Gothot...
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 9:27am

The home roasting patio was one of the most inspiring events of my coffee life. So much passion. One tie-dyed lady travelled from Iowa and was dog bowl/heat gun roasting all day in the sun. She was totally geeked to share her process with so many like-minded people. Her enthusiasm was highly contagious.

I enjoyed CoffeeCon more than I've ever enjoyed SCAA or CoffeeFest. A lot more. So much fun, and no negativity in the crowd. I highly recommend traveling to this event - indeed, I can't wait to return.
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 5:03pm

Two days away!

If you're coming, be sure to visit the home roasters in the tent by the entrance ramp. Sit a spell. Kick yore shoes off.   :-)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Chicago:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210652112961)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+