Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Best roasters in Dallas/North Texas
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best roasters in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 5:53am
Subject: Best roasters in Dallas/North Texas

Best coffee I have had to date is Coffee Eiland.  They're serving it up at Ascension, and its what I brew at home.  Anyone else have some thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Chemex, aeropress
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 5:24am
Subject: Re: Best roasters in Dallas/North Texas

I'm not a huge fan of either Coffee Eiland or Ascension.  I think Clay goes too dark, so it may just be a matter of opinion.  Cultivar is my probably my favorite local roaster and shop, but Oak Cliff produces some really good roasts quite often.  Their most recent Yirgi is amazing.

Oak Lawn Coffee is pretty close to Ascension, and their baristas are on point; it may be worth checking out if you haven't already.  They also sell Oak Cliff and Madcap, so that's a plus.
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 3:06pm
Subject: Re: Best roasters in Dallas/North Texas, the Java Sojourner chimes in

Let me join in on the discussion.  Eiland has been around for some time and has not seemed to generate any kind of following.  I have never run into his roasts when I lived there, but I strongly disagree with TATWD: Ascension is leading an espresso breakthrough in Dallas, Texas.  This is a town with great restaurants and a population with the palate deserving of great espresso.  Now they have it.  This is a “four-star review” for Davis Street and a “five-star” review of Ascension, but, as most readers know, with the variabilities of plantation supply, weather, bean availability, and the micro-variables of performance at the point of infusing the espresso, plus the differences of coffeegeek preferences, the quality of delivery of one coffeehouse may overlap another quite a bit, so that a ‘star rating’ or any rating becomes quite superfluous.  Nevertheless, in the spirit of the tradition of the ascending order of most ‘top ten’ lists, the Java Soujourner is going to start out his ‘top two coffeehouses in Dallas’ list with Davis Street.

Oak Cliff Coffee Roasters was the ‘go to’ local roaster when I lived in Dallas.   Some of their roasts were excellent, most were very good, but all of them were more dependable than my ability to infuse.  In my absence from Dallas, OCCR as opened Davis Street Espresso (819 W. Davis Street), but known to the locals still as ‘Oak Cliff’.  The café and the roastery are in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas, take the N. Zang exit west from highway 35 and look for Davis Street; it is a four minute drive.
They pulled a shot of their Hidden City espresso blend (composition changes) for me.  The crema was luxurious, the nose was a high note of uncharacterized fruitiness.  The first sip tasted of nut, toast and mineral (pleasant saltiness).  The sips started tasting lemony as the cup cooled, never losing the toasty flavor.  It was a good cup.  They use a three group lever machine from Bosco in Naples, and they know how to use it.  Their twin Mahlkonig EKK 43 grinder is also a thing of beauty, in its own way.
When one walks into the café, one does not notice the lever machine.  Not only is its back to the door, but it is sited back-to-back with an automated siphon machine called ‘The Steampunk’ by Alpha Dominche.  Four glass cylinders greet the front door; they display boiling or moving water, or coffee.  Oak Cliff should have placed this behind a counter surrounded by stools because it is as mesmerizing as watching an aquarium.   Also pay a visit to their antique, display only, wall mounted Gaggia espresso machine.  
I bought some of their Ethiopia Nekisse, which makes a complex and flavorful espresso; the best infusion I have made in the past year and I am still dialing it in.

I was advised by a chocolatier (Thank you, Tony) to visit Ascension Coffee (1621 Oak Lawn Avenue).  Take the Oak Lawn exit from I-35 and make sure you turn west.  The parking lot is already famous for being too small, so park around the corner, if you must.   On their web site, they say that they are fanatics about coffee and judging by their enthusiastic response to my interest in their machine and their roasts and their confession about spending hundreds of dollars on a small amount of Panama Geisha, I would have to agree.  Concerning  the machine, they have a Synesso Hydra three group machine with each group having an independent pump that can be pressure profiled differently from the other groups.  In this way one group can operate without affecting the pressure of the other groups.  Sort of like a high-tech, complex approach to the three lever groups that I had just seen at Oak Cliff.  The roast that they ground and infused for me, however, did the machine, and them, proud.  It had a fruity nose and nice, thick crema.  The first taste was nutty and nondescript fruity the second taste was of toast and a little cinnamon.   The third taste as it cooled brought out an unusual savory umami taste.  I cannot describe how nicely the tastes opened up, held together, progressed and lasted.  This was the best shot that I have had all year.  It was near the last of their Ethiopia Harrar single origin espresso.  I have no doubt that Caleb, the barista with the impeccable handlebar moustache, who pulled my shot, will continue to pull good shots out of whatever gets roasted next.

Anyone who loves coffee and visits Dallas should visit these two shops.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best roasters in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.172701120377)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+