Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Chicago: CoffeeCon 2013
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Chicago:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 7:08pm
Subject: Chicago: CoffeeCon 2013

Since I'm a volunteer and there's no profit involved, I think this doesn't count as using forum space for advertising any more than enthusiastic mention of SCAA conventions would?

Several of us from the Green Coffee Buying Club will be demonstrating home roasting under the big tent (of sorts) on the veranda in the open air on May 4, at the IBEW building in Warrenville IL. Any other home roasters (or independent commercial roasters, for that matter) are welcome to join us in what's essentially a public education event. In an ideal world, all 2000 anticipated attendees of CoffeeCon this year would become home roasters.    ;-)

Check the web site, register, show up. Compare notes and help us introduce laypersons to the joys of home roasting. We'll be giving free samples to the public (till a full bag of FTO Colombian runs out) to bribe 'em into trying.    ;-)

If you wish to RSVP (in this thread is fine) and help with this public education effort, it'd be appreciated (but not strictly necessary).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 7:32pm
Subject: Re: Chicago: CoffeeCon 2013

Scott,

We do have an exemption for businesses that are hosting public events, like barista jams. Here's the rule on that (from the FAQ):

Another area we encourage "commercial" style posts is in the promotion of Jams, meets, true educational and informative projects and events - if your company is throwing open the doors for consumers and / or professionals to get together to learn more about coffee and espresso, please post your events, after confirming with a forums moderator on the appropriate style and forum section to post into.

In this case, CoffeeCon is a commercial venture, and so if they put up an ad for the convention, that would be a problem. I think the other moderators would agree that your posting represents promoting your event at CoffeeCon, rather than the convention itself, so I am inclined to think it's allowed. It helps that there is no link to the event's web site. :)

If the other moderators or Mark Prince decide differently, we'll let you know.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:13pm

I agree with your assessment.

I'm hoping that because I'm a volunteer participant (I'll be out money, in fact -- and happily), and because the entire home-roasting group participating is volunteer with sample beans for the public in the event's budget, that what I'm advertising (pitching for other home roasters to come and rub shoulders with the public to help us elevate coffee literacy), that my post will not count as an ad promoting profit. Profit-making vendors will be at the show. Not one of us in the roasting pavilion has a chance of re-gaining what we'll spend to show up at the gig.

My interest is in getting competent craft roasters on hand to interact with laypersons who may not be aware that it's even possible to roast coffee at home. I can't do that practically in an ad.

Most coffee geeks have little to gain by coming -- they already know most everything. Sure, they'd get a chance to see new gear -- as Bunn revealed their Trifecta spectacularly last year. I have no idea what'll be new this year (if anything). But IMO, coffee geeks are needed as volunteer experts -- not as attendees seeing what they can gain from coming. This is a chance to give, to offer Joe or Jane Consumer something s/he needs.

So yeah, I'll do an anti-ad and tell coffee geeks to stay away unless they want to be a source for knowledge-hungry laypersons.     ;-)
littleannieroonie

Espresso: Isomac zaffiro, Saeco Rio...
Grinder: Rocky DL, Capresso
Drip: Bunn, Thermal FP
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hottop
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 7:01pm

My daughter and I had fun at Coffeecon, most of the time we were out on the veranda, so much time as a matter of fact that I'm sunburned.  My daughter now thinks coffee people are really nice and she wants to try her hand at latte art.
 View Profile Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 10:21pm

Yeah, it looked like the two of you were having great fun.   :-)

The joy of latte art is serving it to folks who smile when they take the cup from you. There's a lot of joy in seeing people enjoy what you serve 'em. That may be why she's right about coffee people in general -- they like to see people enjoy something good!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Chicago:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204180002213)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+