Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Roasters in Omaha?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Roasters in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:08am
Subject: Roasters in Omaha?

In Omaha there are 2 roasters that I know of, Hill of Beans, and the Beansmith (LaVista) Has anyone here tried them? I have stopped into Hill of Beans, and while you can actually see them roasting beans, the ones you buy are sotred in huge glass jars, and put into little paper bags. No roast date..
I have purchased some "Rwanada" blend, and in my Aeropress was tasty, nothing special.

Im interested in trying the Beansmith, but for right now it looks like they are wholesale only....Need to find a place that carries it, and not have been sitting for a while.

Anybody have experience with either of these guy? Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
KcPhilthy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Variety
Grinder: Red Rooster (Mannual)
Drip: V60
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 10:21am
Subject: Re: Roasters in Omaha?

Hows it going!,

Well the scoop on the Beansmith is pretty much they are awesome. They are getting their work out there pretty rapidly we have a lab here in Kansas City that keeps a few of their roasts for people to buy/try. Highly recommend getting your hands on some. The roasters are some great people very passionate about what they do so support your local roaster!

If it comes down to it and you can't find it anywhere let me know and we could maybe work something out since I have access to it. You can always email me at philkck@gmail.com

Hope this helped if you need a more detailed review I can do that later this evening. Current working at my cafe figured I would give you a quick heads up!
MochaJoe

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 2:56pm

Hey Thanks!

I actually contacted them through their facebook page, and was responded to the next day. They said they do sell locally in one shop (Aromas), and now online. But, they said if I was in town, just to call and I could head down and purchase by the pound right from them.

Pretty cool dudes! So now all I have to do is wait for my machine to show up (next Tuesday!!) and im gonna head on down to get some.

Can you recommend any of their blends/beans to try first? As for my tastes, I really only drink milk based drinks so I'm looking for something that works well with that creamy/sweet profile.

Thanks again!
KcPhilthy

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 4:33pm

Yeah for sure! Lets see my top 3 so far are for sure:

COLOMBIA ARNULFO LEGUIZAMO
Click Here (www.beansmith.com)

This one has an extremely smooth profile. Very light up front but a nice taste towards the back end.
I have a feeling this one would be a little to light for and type of cream / milk. It would probably drown the flavor.

Fav brew method: French Press.

MEXICAN CHIAPAS FINCA SANTA ROSA
http://www.beansmith.com/coffee/detail/mexican-chiapas

Great taste. A little acidic but just enough to make the tongue tingle. Has great nut tones.
This would do great with cream/milk. Would cover some of the floral tones. But pull out more of the caramel.

Fav brew method: v60

NICARAGUA LOS CONGOS
http://www.beansmith.com/coffee/detail/Nicaragua-Los-Congos

Awesome bittersweet grapefruit taste. ( This is the first coffee I have actually been able to pull that flavor out ) High acidity but just like the Mexican it does great for the feel.
Would do well with cream/milk. Would probably be a unique zest to it.

Fav brew method: v60

Hope this helps some!
KcPhilthy

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 4:36pm

Not sure why it wont let me post the link the Columbia
MochaJoe

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 10:58pm

No worries man, thanks!

Do you work with/for them? Or do you work for a coffee shop they supply?

I was looking around their website, and it looks like they offer basic training for their wholesale customers' baristas. It would be awesome if they would hold an open class for the non-professional to learn some skills. I might bug them about it after I buy my first couple of pounds ;P

Again, thanks for the suggestions!
KcPhilthy

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 12:30pm

I actually am not associated with them at all. I am a barista at The Roasterie in the KC area. There is a place called the "Lab 5702" here in KC that supplies roasts from all over the states. So I get to try EVERYTHING!

And no problem man! Thats what the coffee community is for!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Roasters in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.187766075134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+