Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Dallas-area coffee.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JR_Brewing

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 1:04pm
Subject: Re: Dallas-area coffee.

I noticed that my link to the article was converted to a general reference to D Magazine.  I am not sure how that happened.

However, you can get to the specific article by Googling 'd magazine best coffee'.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 1:36pm

awesome! thanks for the reply.

edit: your "click here" hyperlink actually goes straight to the article.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 9:15am

So, we made it to Odd Fellows and it was definitely worth the trip down from McKinney.

Although my friend said there's a place he knows in Frisco, I didn't get the name or have the opportunity to try it.  McKinney was kind of a flop, in regards to espresso.  we went to a restaurant called La Duni that has an attached coffee house called Dulce.  Although the barista did a nice job frothing, their espresso fell short of acceptable, and certainly wasn't recommendable.  They used preground Lavazza, which the scooped out of a can, dumped into the Pf basket and lightly tapped with a tamper about as fast as humanly possible.  I didn't even see a grinder in the place, anywhere.  Their "French hot chocolate" was not at all like anything I had in France at the gold standard (Angelina Cafe), and I wouldn't recomment it either.  however, if you guys are looking for latin cuisine (Venezuelan-Columbian fusion) it's pretty darn good (my wife is Venezuelan)

Next time I'm up that way (possibly mid May), I'm going to get them to take us to the place in Frisco, and maybe one of the other places on the magazine list.

So, thanks again for the recommendation for Odd Fellows!

JR_Brewing

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 9:42am

I'd also put in a plug for La Duni's desserts!  They make all of their cakes in house and they are great...but I wouldn't order an espresso there.

There are several places on the D Magazine list that I haven't tried.  You've inspired me to make an effort to get out and check them out.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 10:24am

yeah, good call on the desserts.  We split the nutella milk chocolate cake and it was great!

stevieboy9

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Preciso; OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Cona, Hario
Drip: Chemex;Aeropress;Technivorm
Roaster: tabletop drum; Poppery 1;
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 11:05am

could you provide a physical (GPS friendly) address?   I'd also be making the trip from Ft. Worth and look forward to sampling your coffee drinks.

Steve, in Ft. Worth.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports's a-goin' on here?!"
JR_Brewing

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 11:14am

Here is the address for Oddfellows:

316 West 7th Street  Dallas, TX 75208

(214) 944-5958

Enjoy!
jaypunkrawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Frieling press, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 9:59pm

Just a note, Oddfellow's uses Austin-based Cuvée Coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 12:00pm

I have had two sour shots and one sour Americano at Oddfellows and that is enough.  Their food is uninspired.  There is much better food in Dallas.  Also I took a pound of Cuvee decaf home with me and could not get rid of the sour taste using variations of my pourover technique.  Several Texas baristas to whom I have talked agree with me that Cuvee roasting leaves a lot to be desired. Oak Cliff Roasters sells a good Yergacheffe and a good decaf (I forget the varietal).  Pearl Cup (now two locations) served me a good shot about two months ago.  Six months prior to that, a visit to them and to White Rock was not worth mentioning.

D magazine is famous in our household for warning us about places to stay away from: it is called the best of Dallas.  There are some exceptions.  Chocolate Secrets is the best chocolate outside of Manhattan (Dude, Sweet is good only for their excellent cocoa).  Lucia is finally a great place to eat in Oak Cliff, if you can get reservations or sit at the four-seat bar.  La Duni is good, but not any where near all of the hype that their marketing has generated.  Their food is good and much better than Oddfellows.  If you want authentic French pastries hand made by a genius, trained in Paris, who does very little by way of advertising - in other words a treasure such as you dream about stumbling upon on a very lucky day - then visit Rush Patisserie three doors down from Spiral, near the corner of Beckley and Zang in Oak Cliff.  However, she does mostly commercial accounts and opens her shop only briefly on Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday evening with a break in between, and briefly on Sunday.  Her croissants are the best in Texas.  French macarons must be ordered ahead of time, but she may have some extras sitting around.  She is not a coffee shop but will serve you French Press, if requested.  Google rushpatisserie.com.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 1:50pm

Buckley, thanks so much for that last post.  I think I might find myself again in Dallas...well, McKinney...in the next couple of weeks, so I will definitely try to check out at lest one of the places you've mentioned.

showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225780963898)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+