Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Memphis: A Lament
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011, 1:24pm
Subject: Memphis: A Lament

I live in the Memphis metro area, and I would LOVE to find a coffee shop that will:
  • Use freshly roasted coffee--freshly ground for my shot, not sitting in the grinder's doser...
  • Pull shots that aren't blond in the first 2 seconds of the pull...
  • Froth only "virgin" cold milk, paying attention to the texture, not just the temperature...

Today I went to a shop whose sign said "Best espresso bar in Memphis" (that's not saying much). The four-group La Marzocco was impressive-looking.  I watched a server fill his basket from the doser with coffee that was ground who-knows-when...pulling shots that were instantly blond, with water flowing around the portafilter into the cup.  At the same time, the milk was frothing itself, unattended.  I say "I watched" because I always watch before I'll order...this time I did not order anything but drip coffee.

To their credit, the staff was very friendly, and they used good, fresh beans.  My drip coffee was excellent--a Moka Java, they told me.  I can find several shops that are similar--good, fresh drip coffee, and extremely polite, attentive staff.  I just can't find espresso, or espresso drinks that I would order.

If I go 220 miles east to Nashville, I have my choice of at least four shops that do VERY good espresso drinks (mostly in the Vanderbilt University area).  Just not here in Memphis.

Maybe someone else knows of a good espresso bar that in Memphis that I don't know about...please?

If not, I guess I'll just have drip coffee in the shops, and get my espresso at home.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011, 7:24pm
Subject: Re: Memphis: A Lament

JR Said:

Maybe someone else knows of a good espresso bar that in Memphis that I don't know about...please?

If not, I guess I'll just have drip coffee in the shops, and get my espresso at home.

Posted January 29, 2011 link

Judging by the (lack of) response, I guess it's just me.

Off to the kitchen to make my own espresso!

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Feb 7, 2011, 9:21am

JR Said:

Judging by the (lack of) response, I guess it's just me.

Off to the kitchen to make my own espresso!

Jack

Posted February 1, 2011 link

I feel your pain, Jack.  

My mother lives in Germantown as well.  I send her coffee every week.  She has an Aeropress and a Bodum Antigua that gets daily use.  

If you think there's a single shop that would be receptive to another company helping them out, let me know.  I'll be back there again in the Spring.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2011, 9:55am

JR, would you mind disclosing the names of the shops in Nashville worth visiting. I should be there sometime in the spring for a week or so.

Thanks

Dan Brewer
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Tue Feb 8, 2011, 2:43pm

gime2much Said:

JR, would you mind disclosing the names of the shops in Nashville worth visiting. I should be there sometime in the spring for a week or so.

Thanks

Posted February 7, 2011 link

I certainly don't mind telling people about the good ones.

I was most impressed with Fido Coffee--but they've become a full-service restaurant, so it can get crowded during the lunch and dinner hours.  They seem to have recognized this, so they opened a shop NEXT DOOR in the same building, called "Hot & Cold".   It has coffee and Mexican chocolates, popsicles, etc. but no real food.  It was new, and when I went, the barista had not yet mastered latté art, but the texture was right and it was good.  Their coffee is roasted by their parent company, Bongo Java.  Bongo has their own location, and I've heard it's also good--but I have not tried it.

I've heard Portland Brew is also good, but I haven't been there.

Now, an update on Memphis: I normally do not use the drive-through, but I was in a hurry and stopped by Poplar Perk'n for a cup of drip coffee Saturday.  Lo and behold, I spied a Swift grinder behind the bar.  It had a portafilter locked in, grinding for a shot.  I sure didn't see that coming--almost fell out of my van.  Could this be a sign of better days to come? (by the way, the shop I described in the first post was not Poplar Perk'n).

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JR
JR

Posted Tue Feb 8, 2011, 2:49pm

Jasonian Said:

I feel your pain, Jack.  

My mother lives in Germantown as well.  I send her coffee every week.  She has an Aeropress and a Bodum Antigua that gets daily use.  

If you think there's a single shop that would be receptive to another company helping them out, let me know.  I'll be back there again in the Spring.

Posted February 7, 2011 link

I honestly can't say any of them would welcome the help.  I think that's the problem.  They like what they're doing now just fine.  And in most cases, it's better than what the de facto standard-bearer can offer.

You need to holler at me when you're back here, and we can go on a coffee crawl if you're up to it.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Feb 9, 2011, 9:14am

JR Said:

I honestly can't say any of them would welcome the help.  I think that's the problem.  They like what they're doing now just fine.  And in most cases, it's better than what the de facto standard-bearer can offer.

You need to holler at me when you're back here, and we can go on a coffee crawl if you're up to it.

Jack

Posted February 8, 2011 link

I don't have a specific date yet, but I'll contact you when I do.  

The contented bubble disease plagues many places of business.  I think some regions were hit harder by the epidemic than others.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011, 2:56am

Kind of off topic, but, who has the best pulled pork barbecue in the Memphis area these days, JR?

There were a few that my wife and I enjoyed when we lived up that way (in Germantown) 31 years ago, but things DO change.

Here in Baton Rouge we actually do have a good place for fresh espresso and drip coffee. It's called Highland Coffees, and it's right outside the gates of LSU.

http://www.highlandcoffeesbr.com/
JR
JR

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011, 3:56pm

Java_Jiver Said:

Kind of off topic, but, who has the best pulled pork barbecue in the Memphis area these days, JR?

Posted April 4, 2011 link

Whoa, you want me to step on that landmine?  BEST is enough to start a religious war around here.  There are not many bad ones (they don't survive), and quite a few good ones.  I'm not sure who to say is the best.  Since you're from Germantown, the Commissary is still high on everybody's list, although I think they do a better job with catering than they do in their shop.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
crfrop7311km
crfrop7311km
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Current: Bunn ES1A ||...
Grinder: La Cimbali Max Hybrid
Drip: Hario 02
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Apr 10, 2011, 5:57pm

Moving to Memphis in June, so did a search on here to see what would come up.  Good to see some chatter at least, even if the espressography isn't showing many hot spots in Memphis.  

As a super brief intro, I enjoy coffee quite a bit, proud owner of a Bunn ES1A and do the old popcorn roasting.  Good times.

Looking forward to joining the community of Memphian CGers, though.  Should be fun.  

Cheers,
Kevin

km
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337144136429)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+