Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Memphis: A Lament
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011, 1:35pm
Subject: Re: Memphis: A Lament

crfrop7311km Said:

Moving to Memphis in June, so did a search on here to see what would come up.  Good to see some chatter at least, even if the espressography isn't showing many hot spots in Memphis.  

As a super brief intro, I enjoy coffee quite a bit, proud owner of a Bunn ES1A and do the old popcorn roasting.  Good times.

Looking forward to joining the community of Memphian CGers, though.  Should be fun.  

Cheers,
Kevin

Posted April 10, 2011 link

Sorry it's taken me so long to notice this reply.  I don't generally subscribe to topics, because I forget how to UNsubscribe.

Have you moved to Memphis? (your Location does not say so)

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Wed Sep 21, 2011, 7:08am

Here's an update on the Memphis coffee scene.

It appears we've lost Memphis Brew.  Their sign is gone, and there is a "FOR LEASE" sign there.  They had talked about moving, but their Facebook page is also gone.  They'll be missed.  They had fresh locally roasted coffee, and AMAZING bakery stuff that was done in-house.  I never tried their espresso drinks (blond 10-second shots), but their brewed coffee was excellent.

Poplar Perk'n (at Poplar and Perkins) has switched roasters.  They were getting coffee from Gusta Java, and now it's McCarter Coffee Company--a local roaster.  They still use a Swift grinder.  I have not tried their espresso drinks, other than straight shots (not bad!).  I've heard they're good, but I'm kinda spoiled with mine at home.  They still don't do latté art, they froth their milk in the more "typical" way.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JoeBrown
JoeBrown
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Dec 9, 2011, 6:51pm

Jack - Thanks for the updates on Memphis.

I'm wondering about the availability of quality beans in Memphis.  Do any markets or grocers sell any quality beans?  For example, at our Whole Foods you can find a few kinds of Stumptown Coffee on the shelf.  I have a cousin there who misses the coffee she had when she visited me in Seattle.

Thanks,
-Joe
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Fri Dec 9, 2011, 7:21pm

JoeBrown Said:

Jack - Thanks for the updates on Memphis.

I'm wondering about the availability of quality beans in Memphis.  Do any markets or grocers sell any quality beans?  For example, at our Whole Foods you can find a few kinds of Stumptown Coffee on the shelf.  I have a cousin there who misses the coffee she had when she visited me in Seattle.

Thanks,
-Joe

Posted December 9, 2011 link

It's pretty sad. I checked Whole Foods this week. They had NO coffee that had a roast date on the bag. They had some beans from Bongo Java (Nashville) that I'd have tried if they had the roast date and if they were fresh. The owner of Square Beans (Collierville) is choosy about his beans, so that's your best bet.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
Jaemy
Jaemy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 7:05am

The Edge Coffee House is reopening its original location at 532 S Cooper on the 4th of July.  I got hired on and was quickly made manager, since I'll be the only member of the staff with previous training or experience.  I am *very* impressed with Frank's standards for quality and I am going to make sure that my "kids" get things done right, so come and see us.  Frank roasts his own and uses his own unique blend of beans.  Latte art's gonna be a while in coming, since I want to make sure my staff gets a really good grip on everything else.

I know exactly what cafe you were talking about, and applied to work there before I'd actually inspected the operation of the baristas there.  I am glad Frank got to me first.  Now, I only go to that place because of the super keen community center in back of it... and when my friend takes me out to breakfast, 'cause the food there is tasty.  I've not been impressed with other cafes in Memphis, either because of their product, the atmosphere, or the baristas and their attitudes.  Baristas are hipsters now?  When did THIS happen!??!

Anyway, come on out, put us (me) to the test!

As far as Nashville goes,  dose is where Portland Brew West used to be on Murphy Road.  It is supercool.  Also, highly recommended by my fellow coffee geek/barista/extremely difficult-to-impress younger brother are Crema on Heritage Avenue and Casablanca.  I haven't been to either, but I trust his opinions on this kind of thing.  There's also a spankin' new place called Barista Parlor that seems exceptional.  

See you 'round!
JR
JR

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 7:09am

Jaemy Said:

The Edge Coffee House is reopening its original location at 532 S Cooper on the 4th of July.  I got hired on and was quickly made manager, since I'll be the only member of the staff with previous training or experience.  I am *very* impressed with Frank's standards for quality and I am going to make sure that my "kids" get things done right, so come and see us.  Frank roasts his own and uses his own unique blend of beans.  Latte art's gonna be a while in coming, since I want to make sure my staff gets a really good grip on everything else.

I know exactly what cafe you were talking about, and applied to work there before I'd actually inspected the operation of the baristas there.  I am glad Frank got to me first.  Now, I only go to that place because of the super keen community center in back of it... and when my friend takes me out to breakfast, 'cause the food there is tasty.  I've not been impressed with other cafes in Memphis, either because of their product, the atmosphere, or the baristas and their attitudes.  Baristas are hipsters now?  When did THIS happen!??!

Anyway, come on out, put us (me) to the test!

Posted June 26, 2012 link

Let me know what time you're opening, and I'll try to be there, and possibly some of my friends, too.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JR
JR

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 1:18pm

JR Said:

Let me know what time you're opening, and I'll try to be there, and possibly some of my friends, too.

Jack

Posted June 26, 2012 link

Well, if you opened on July 4, I missed it.  I was waiting for a reply.  If you will confirm it's open, and tell me your hours, I'd love to drop by.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
gregus

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 1:37pm

Interesting,

I'm
in
the
area....

Edge
was
great
in
its
day....
Jaemy
Jaemy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 7:08am

Sorry it took me so long to reply!  Life is fun.

We started opening 6am yesterday.  Closing time is 1am.  I am working the morning shift.  We also have a text order option, where you send a text with your order and ETA to our little printer thingy and it's ready when you get here.  Check out all the details on our facebook page, and send a friend request to Frank James - The Edge.

...and, you know... come see me!  :D

Mornings on the deck have been lovely.
JR
JR

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 7:14am

Jaemy Said:

Sorry it took me so long to reply!  Life is fun.

We started opening 6am yesterday.  Closing time is 1am.  I am working the morning shift.  We also have a text order option, where you send a text with your order and ETA to our little printer thingy and it's ready when you get here.  Check out all the details on our facebook page, and send a friend request to Frank James - The Edge.

...and, you know... come see me!  :D

Mornings on the deck have been lovely.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

Yeah, I forgot to update this topic.  I drove by The Edge a few weeks ago.  In fact, I stopped for coffee--but the sign said it was open 5 PM to 1 AM.

I've also visited Otherlands Coffee Bar since I last posted.  I was pleasantly surprised.  One of the baristas was even doing free poured latté art.  I had a really good brewed coffee with a double shot in it.  I can't remember what they called it, but I've heard it called a "redeye" and a "black eye".

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313370943069)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+