Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Memphis: A Lament
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:31am
Subject: Re: Memphis: A Lament

Since my last post, a few new shops have opened, or are in the process.  I just learned today of a new locally owned shop in Cordova (actually part of Memphis) called The Grindz Coffee & Tea.  They've just switched bean suppliers, and will be using locally roasted beans from J Brooks Coffee.  He has a 3-group Simonelli machine. I'm drinking drip coffee today, but I'll try his espresso soon.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MetropolisComm

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:15am

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to jump into the discussion to let you all know about a new business in Memphis that is distributing Metropolis Coffee!

Tamp & Tap has a full espresso menu, as well as drip coffee and pour-over options and they've been fully trained on production by Metropolis.  They also have an impressive lunch and beer menu!  Here's their website where a menu is available: click here

They're located at 122 Gayoso.  Check 'em out!

Pax,
Seth J. A. Alexander
Communications
Metropolis Coffee Company
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 3:06pm

MetropolisComm Said:

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to jump into the discussion to let you all know about a new business in Memphis that is distributing Metropolis Coffee!

Tamp & Tap has a full espresso menu, as well as drip coffee and pour-over options and they've been fully trained on production by Metropolis.  They also have an impressive lunch and beer menu!  Here's their website where a menu is available: click here

They're located at 122 Gayoso.  Check 'em out!

Pax,
Seth J. A. Alexander
Communications
Metropolis Coffee Company

Posted October 16, 2013 link

Funny, I have a friend who told me they were about to open. I'll have to check them out.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
alive
alive
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 9:37pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the introduction Seth--

I'm one of the Tamp & Tap owners - we're tucked into a neat space between Main and 2nd Street on Gayoso.  Right across the street from the Royal Furniture parking lot for those that are familiar with that block.  As Seth said, we are focused on quality fresh coffee from Metropolis as well as a growing selection of local/regional craft beers.  We also have an array of made-to-order salads and sandwiches.  I'm excited to report that we have accrued a remarkably large and loyal lunch crowd after just a couple months since we opened in July. People are really digging the food from our chef Sam Miller who we poached from Erling

I believe we're the only shop in the Memphis area that offers a pour-over menu as well as nitrogen-fed cold-brew from a keg.  If you have not experienced either of those products/techniques, you should stop in at your earliest convenience and try them out.  Truly a unique experience in this area.  

Currently our beer taps are running Wiseacre, High Cotton, Yazoo, and a rotating selection of regional craft brews.  We have trivia Wednesdays @ 7pm, pint nights, and have just rolled out a new brunch menu on the weekends.  Like us on https://www.facebook.com/TampTap and stay up to speed on what we're doing.

Come have a pint and a bite before you head over to the Forum to watch the Grizz/Tigers.  Glad to see some 901 coffee enthusiasts on these boards and we hope to serve some of you soon~
JR
JR

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 9:47pm

alive Said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the introduction Seth--

I'm one of the Tamp & Tap owners - we're tucked into a neat space between Main and 2nd Street on Gayoso.  Right across the street from the Royal Furniture parking lot for those that are familiar with that block.  As Seth said, we are focused on quality fresh coffee from Metropolis as well as a growing selection of local/regional craft beers.  We also have an array of made-to-order salads and sandwiches.  I'm excited to report that we have accrued a remarkably large and loyal lunch crowd after just a couple months since we opened in July. People are really digging the food from our chef Sam Miller who we poached from Erling

I believe we're the only shop in the Memphis area that offers a pour-over menu as well as nitrogen-fed cold-brew from a keg.  If you have not experienced either of those products/techniques, you should stop in at your earliest convenience and try them out.  Truly a unique experience in this area.  

Currently our beer taps are running Wiseacre, High Cotton, Yazoo, and a rotating selection of regional craft brews.  We have trivia Wednesdays @ 7pm, pint nights, and have just rolled out a new brunch menu on the weekends.  Like us on https://www.facebook.com/TampTap and stay up to speed on what we're doing.

Come have a pint and a bite before you head over to the Forum to watch the Grizz/Tigers.  Glad to see some 901 coffee enthusiasts on these boards and we hope to serve some of you soon~

Posted October 17, 2013 link

You're aware that this audience will have higher expectations than the $bux drinkers, right?  I hope there's at least as much focus on the coffee as on the beer, salads, sandwiches, etc.  If there is, you will be pretty unique in Memphis.  Just curious, do you offer French press pots?

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JR
JR

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:03pm

And while I'm at it, I just HAVE to report on an experience at another downtown shop: Bluff City Coffee, on South Main.  I was in there a few months ago, and probably won't ever go back.

For those who don't know, Bluff City only serves espresso-based coffee drinks (no problem).  While at the counter, I overheard the OWNER offering a customer a "dark roast" for his americano.  I didn't see a separate grinder for the dark roast, so I asked him about it.

With a straight face, he told me "Oh, we just run it through TWICE".

In shock, I said "You what?"

Owner: "We do it twice to make it stronger and it's just like a dark roast. Lots of customers order it that way."

Me, unable to conceal my disbelief: "You're saying you re-use the same grounds and pull a second shot through it?"

Owner: "Yes." (glaring at me)

Me: "Eww, NASTY!"

The conversation kinda went downhill from there.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 6:17am

Man, I'm excited to check out Tamp & Tap next time I'm in Memphis! I'm in Jackson, which is only an hour east. Has Republic Coffee been mentioned here? Last time I went, they had a roaster in their shop. I'm not sure if they roast their own or if it was just for show, but definitely worth checking out. The barista's seemed competent enough, though when I was there, staff was more focused on getting food orders out than coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 6:49am

tglodjo Said:

Man, I'm excited to check out Tamp & Tap next time I'm in Memphis! I'm in Jackson, which is only an hour east. Has Republic Coffee been mentioned here? Last time I went, they had a roaster in their shop. I'm not sure if they roast their own or if it was just for show, but definitely worth checking out. The barista's seemed competent enough, though when I was there, staff was more focused on getting food orders out than coffee.

Posted October 18, 2013 link

Republic no longer roasts. They left an old machine in the dining area.  I watched a "barista" make a drink, he left the milk screeching under the steam wand while checking a customer out at the register.  My son had a horrible latté because of similar "technique". That was years ago. Another time, I noticed water running around the portafilter into the espresso cup while a shot was being pulled.  I told the "barista" he needed to lock the portafilter in a little tighter.  He told me that the machine was "broken" and it had been that way for months.

It's still one of the places I'll drink drip coffee, and use the wifi.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
alive
alive
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 10:44am

JR Said:

You're aware that this audience will have higher expectations than the $bux drinkers, right?  I hope there's at least as much focus on the coffee as on the beer, salads, sandwiches, etc.  If there is, you will be pretty unique in Memphis.  Just curious, do you offer French press pots?

Jack

Posted October 17, 2013 link

Jack,

We are the anti-SBX.  When we envisioned this concept we were focused on coffee.  We knew that there was almost no true 'artisan' coffee in Memphis and really no coffee at all downtown.   We were inspired by Metropolis, Intelligencia, and many others in Chicago.  Crema & Barista Parlor in Nashville, etc.  We get fresh beans weekly from Metropolis' incredible roastery and pull espresso out of Simonelli's amazing new Aurelia T3 3-group machine.  It's a remarkable piece of equipment and our baristas are well trained on it.  We use Mahlkönig grinders.  

We have a full espresso menu and pull double shots only.  Large espresso drinks get 2x double shots.  We do not offer french press pots at this time.  If demand for that technique surfaces then we will certainly add it.  So far, our nitrogenated cold brew has been our best seller (Careful on this one - it's highly caffeinated simply by virtue of the process).  For folks that don't want espresso, we try to steer them towards a pour-over if they have never tried it.  For those that have never had it it's truly an eye-opening experience.  We offer two sizes and it's served in a pot with a warm cup so you can pour at will.  

We also offer warm chai, cold chai, frozen chai, fresh fruit smoothies, a variety of teas, and everything you'd expect from a full cafe menu.  

Food was actually an afterthought but we landed a large enough space to accommodate it and the response has been spectacular.  I know Seth linked our site (work in progress), but check out some of the pictures on yelp. Click Here (www.yelp.com)

Look forward to seeing ya'll~

Daniel
JR
JR

Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 11:43am

Daniel,

Can't wait to visit.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300112009048)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+