Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dialektik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Jul 8, 2010, 7:47am
Subject: Re: Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?

Any news on Minneapolis cafes that serve good espresso?

I just moved here from San Francisco and would like to find some top-notch espresso. Kopplin's is amazing, but it's in St. Paul; so is Black Sheep. Overflow was a total disappointment--the cappuccino I had tasted burnt and was served in a huge mug with stiff foam. They clearly haven't heard of microfoam there. Haven't tried Rustica yet. Are there any new shops that have recently opened up?
 View Profile Link to this post
knappcap
knappcap
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Marzocco GB-5
Grinder: Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: V 60 or Chemex
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12
Posted Thu Jul 15, 2010, 12:45pm

I would recommend Kopplins, Angry Catfish, Rustica, and Black Sheep.  Had great Kenya from Kopplins just last week... they are bringing some great coffees from excellent roasters.  

Also, I know your looking in Minneapolis, but thought I'd mention that there is a new place opening up in St. Paul at 769 Cleveland Ave. S.  They are shooting to be open this weekend.  They will be doing all coffee of the day on pourover via hario v-60, espressos will be pulled on a lever group GB-5 La Marzocco using a Mazzer Robur and Anfim, with only extensively trained professionals pulling shots.  All of their coffee will be coming from MadCap in Grand Rapids.  Very simple menu with very intentionally sourced products.  The space is just getting completed and it looks beautiful.  They are located in the old White Rock Coffee Roasters Space.

Name of the shop is Quixotic Coffee.  Check em out...http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saint-Paul-MN/Quixotic-Coffee/129981997038513?v=info&ref=ts

Disclaimer:  I have biased being that I have worked closely with this company and am employed by MadCap.  But still think everyone should check it out.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu Jul 15, 2010, 3:02pm

knappcap Said:

I would recommend Kopplins, Angry Catfish, Rustica, and Black Sheep.  Had great Kenya from Kopplins just last week... they are bringing some great coffees from excellent roasters.  

Also, I know your looking in Minneapolis, but thought I'd mention that there is a new place opening up in St. Paul at 769 Cleveland Ave. S.  They are shooting to be open this weekend.  They will be doing all coffee of the day on pourover via hario v-60, espressos will be pulled on a lever group GB-5 La Marzocco using a Mazzer Robur and Anfim, with only extensively trained professionals pulling shots...

Name of the shop is Quixotic Coffee.  Check em out...http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saint-Paul-MN/Quixotic-Coffee/129981997038513?v=info&ref=ts

Disclaimer:  I have biased being that I have worked closely with this company and am employed by MadCap.  But still think everyone should check it out.

Posted July 15, 2010 link

Will be visiting daughter in Twin Cities in Aug and will visit Quixotic.  +1 on Black Sheep and Kopplins.  Will try to sneak in Angry Catfish and Rustica but there is a level at which the Coffee Czarina says, "no mas cafe."

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
dialektik

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Jul 15, 2010, 6:33pm

I was disappointed by Rustica. Their espresso drinks and beans are not that great. Worlds apart from a place like Kopplins.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Posted Mon Aug 16, 2010, 4:27pm

Visits over the past weekend:

Kopplin's: http://www.kopplinscoffee.com/

Coffee:  49th Parallel Epic.  Anfim Super grinder and a 3-group Synesso. I had a capp. The Epic is blended (Kenyan, El Salv, Costa Rican) to really punch through milk.  Punch through it does.  Though some swear by it (Mark Prince:  ), the punch is more than I care for.  Two years ago I had a Terroir capp here that was much more in line with my taste (blend of 3 Brazils).  Very nice tight milk with a perfect rosetta.  Milk is grass fed, organic, from Castle Rock, in Osseo, WI (remember going in the ditch one eveing during bad Jan storm).

The shop also has two Clovers.  I believe they are using all 49th Parallel Coffee.  The Czarina had an Overdrive (cup of coffee and a shot of espresso) and then bathed it in .5n.5. We were there at 11.30am and the line kept on coming. Small shop; 15x40.  Everything is understated (my daughter says that is "St. Paul," understating everything).  Lean decorating, soft feel to it, minimal advertising/branding.  Coffees featured are 8x11 framed, very clear description of coffee growing and cupping highlights.  

Coffee:  A
Ambience:  A- (small shop with minimal seating)

Angry Catfish     Bike heaven dominates the shop, items for sale.  Moots handmade bikes from Steamboat Springs.  It is really a heavily bike theme shop with coffee as an afterthought, as presented.

Coffee side?  A two-group Synesso.  Perfect 22-second shot pulled, topped by tight milk.  Nice rosetta.  Intelli Black Cat.  Wonderful drink.

I asked her where I could pick up a pourover set-up for our daughter.  She reached under the bar and said, "I have a brown #1 or a white #2 Hario.   Need filters as well?"  I w<h>igged out.  Boom, done.

The offer in drinks: press pots, Chemex, pourovers, and vacpots as well.  Unreal place.  A bit on the "new," bending to cold side.  I would have found an old barn in the rural areas and used it for the floor to give it some character to balance out the "hard" bike theme.

Coffee:  A
Ambiance:  B+

(While there, stopped at A Baker's Wife Pastry Shop, right next to the Angry Catfish.  I had a sour cherry danish to die for and grabbed a whole wheat, sour-dough for the house.  Tree-mendous.

B|Java

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
bkrownd
bkrownd

Espresso: saeco vienna deluxe
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2010, 4:25pm

Goatherd Said:

Just wondering who's who in the Twin Cities scene.

Posted May 12, 2007 link

Quick questions for the MSP crowd:  My usual morning hangout and base of operations when visiting MSP is Coffee Bene at Cleveland & Grand for several reasons.  It's open long hours, has a nice space and atmosphere, lots of seating, easy parking, decent muffins and juices, and free internet.  It's also centrally located for the things I do there.

1) I'm just wondering if someone had any other suggestions for the colleges/Grand Ave/Highland Park area that would also be open early AM, have ample seating and have free internet?  Has to be north and east of the rivers and in the same area - please not on the other side of town or in Mpls.

2) Also, any shops with free internet open late in the Vadnais, WBL, Maplewood, Little Canada area?  Otherwise I end up getting my late evening internet at the WBL Caribou....  (Not complaining, 'cause that's vastly more than WBL offered in the old days)

3) Anything new in Dinkytown or Stadium Village this year?
bkrownd
bkrownd

Espresso: saeco vienna deluxe
Posted Wed Nov 17, 2010, 4:41pm

knappcap Said:

Name of the shop is Quixotic Coffee.  Check em out..

Posted July 15, 2010 link

I'll try this one some afternoon.  Unfortunately it looks like they don't open until 7AM, and I gotta be moving along by that time...   :/
justymikey

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:18pm

I can't say I am the most seasoned espresso drinker but I came home for the the weekend to visit my parents and I have had some real fun going to different places.

First night we were in uptown and checked out the Dogwood coffee bar. I know this may not help you much but I will tell you my experience and you can draw your own conclusions. My dad, who drinks Folgers generally, and I walked up and I noticed there Mazzer sitting there and mentioned it being a nice grinder to my dad. He asked if that is what I wanted and the barista replied, "don't we all". (1 point for the barista). We ordered an espresso and since it was 6 o'clock I didn't want a double. The barista was nice enough to split the shot up into two cups. There was a lot of crema and long lived. Evidently they used to have a lever machine but they replaced it with .... (don't remember). All in all I think it is definitely a good place to have an espresso. I would go back if I were in the uptown area.

Shot two: Kopplins. Thankfully one of my great friends lives 2 blocks away from Kopplins and we were able to go in to have a shot. Everybody has already said how amazing this place is. I have nothing more to add.

Shot three: Quixotic. Also fortunate for me my girlfriends dad lives about a half a mile from here. Walking in I was greeted warmly. The barista asked what I was up to for the day and we had a genuine conversation. I ordered my espresso and waited patiently. I am used to getting some kind of water with my espresso but this was the first time I was actually given San Pellegrino. I asked about local roasters and he said I should really check out Black Sheep as well. He took great care with my shot on his LM.

Now tomorrow I leave and my mom said she wants to go get coffee so I came on here to find a new place to try out because we are on the MPLS side which seems more difficult. I guess St Paul really seems to have things under control as far as coffee is concerned.
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Sun Feb 26, 2012, 11:59am
Subject: re: best shops and roasters in minneapolis?

anything within walking distance of the minneapolis convention center? (b/w grant st, 1st ave s & 3rd ave s)

i'll be there in july for a week on business with long days @ the convention center. if there's nothing, i may have to bring my travel set-up -- which is fine -- except it'd lead to me hosting coffee in my room at 6:30 every morning. i'd rather bring a local third wave some business instead. . . all things considered.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
BoldJava
BoldJava

Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 2:42pm

OK, daughters' friends had alerted me that there were some new/existing shops that needed exploration so I did a power-crawl on Sunday a.m. while visiting the Land of Hot Dishes.

Existing:  Bob's Java Hut is a "no need to stop."  We opened the shop at 7am (whoops, forgot we had lost an hour during the night).  Early.  Very kind, cordial gent greeted us. Half-played out Euro-motorcycle theme.  Just doesn't come together.  Coffee?  Flat, stale cup of Nicaragua.  A half a cup and we were off to Bull Run.

Bull Run.  New in the last year.  In the LynLake neighborhood.  Excellent El Salvadoran pourover in a Hario arrangement.  Retail side is superbly stocked with Harios, filters, Bodums, hand grinders and Bull Run's own locally roasted coffees.  Next time, will stay around for a macchiato.  Barista/owner says, "also try Blue Ox while you are in town," after we had discussed all the 3rd wave shops in the Twin Cities.  A worthy visit. http://www.bullrunroasting.com/

Blue Ox, wedged in between the Powderhorn and Bryant neighborhoods.  Mostly Counter Culture coffee.  Rustico and Apollo blends to try -- I opt for the Apollo, iteration 7, Ecuadoran.  Barista is dissatisfied with shot one and feeds it to the Mississippi River.  She nails the second shot, pours a gorgeous rosetta on top of it.  Excellent.  

I next tried a local roaster's pourover in a Hario -- Brazil Recreio.  No sugar/creamers out.  They offer 25 oz insulated caraffes of Chemex pourovers.  Powderhorn to the north, Bryant to the south, Central <?> to the east.  Great shop -- open 6 months -- hope it gets traction. Shoot the breeze -- these folks know coffee.  Next trip to the TC's I will spend more time here and challenge manager Jackie's ristretto.  Definitely worth your business. http://blueoxcoffeecompany.com/

Next trip - Cafe Imports' cupping table and Kopplin's new space in St Paul.

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27689909935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+