Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MonkeyWithACold

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Dec 27, 2008, 11:57pm
Subject: Re: Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?

View Profile Link to this post
Coffeesnob63

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Waiting for the GS3
Vac Pot: Aeropress or Chemex
Posted Mon Dec 29, 2008, 9:03pm

You are going to have to go to St. Paul.  Kopplins does indeed carry the best craft, and baristas that have worked there compete in the regional competitions.

In Mpls...it's harder.  Common Roots does a pretty good job, but the shots might sometimes be a little much in volume ( that would be my only complaint).  They do have two different spros, one for straight shots, one for milk-based drinks.  And the food is A+.  

Tillies Bean on 28th Avenue and 38th street, has a Linea and a Swift, so you are going to get a pretty good shot there.  

St. Paul offers you Kopplin's, & Amore Coffee, and South St, Paul you have Black Sheep.  

The May day Cafe on Bloomington Avenue and 35th street has a GB5 and a Swift, and the food and baked goods are to die for.  They have good brewed coffee, I think they are using organic milk, and they have a nice homemade caramel sauce.  You will find the only homemade, fresh baked Crossiant there in Mpls, and oh my..try the Almond One.  Or the Currant creme scone.  
Hope that helps.
hauschildt
hauschildt
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 9:09am

i'm in minneapolis for a couple days and checked out this thread before leaving. i made the trek east to kopplin's last night and was not disappointed. lovely, lovely espresso, and i also tasted a delightful kenyan single origin made with the clover. man, if that isn't the coolest invention ever... thanks for pointing me in the right direction, all! :)
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
shaneo

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 15, 2009, 6:29am

Anyone know if there are any updates regarding the Twin Cities coffee scene?  
Does Minneapolis have anything yet, or does one need to travel to St. Paul?

Thanks,  Shane
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rusto
Rusto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: SJ
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Sat Dec 5, 2009, 6:07pm

I went to the Rustica Bakery today. In the Calhoun Village 3220 W. Lake st. Excellent espresso. The have a dogwood blend (house blend) and a single origin.  The Dogwood was similar to Kopplin's. The single origin was good, but not near as much flavor as the dogwood. They also have the Clover coffee machine  and supply Kopplin's with their bakery goods, which rock. It's definitely worth going.
I've been to Kopplin's twice. Had a good, but not mind-blowing shot the first time. Second time, had a great one. Tried the Costa Rican coffee from the Clover. Good stuff. I bought some of Kopplin's espresso beans and am totally loving it.
Cafe Crema on Lyndale carries Intelligensia coffee, but their hours suck so I haven't been there.
Take in mind that I'm a newbie. I'm satisfied with the more than half of the shots I pull on my Aroma. But I'd be shocked if you didn't dig the Rustica.

Hey, man. Nice shot.
espressme
espressme

Espresso: Conti,Cremina,Astra,LaPav
Grinder: Faema MPN,Mazzer SJ,Vario
Posted Sat Dec 5, 2009, 6:22pm

Thank you for the new spot to try!
Happy Holidayz
-Richard
resting
resting
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Dec 30, 2009, 8:25pm

The annual trip home consisted of...

Was super excited to stop by the new Rustica/Bull Run Roasting spot in Minneapolis.  Stopped by to get some beans for Christmas for my family and had a couple nice cups off of the Clover as well as a fine espresso and capp.  We also enjoyed good conversation with their staff while sitting at the bar seating next to the Synesso.  My wife fell in love with Rustica's bittersweet chocolate cookies which prompted another visit a few days later before coming home to DC.

Also glad to drop in at Kopplins after a fantastic lunch at Meritage in St. Paul.  Andrew was there and he said that things have been really busy since they were mentioned in Bon Appetit and the local Metro magazine.  As always, the drinks my family and I had were top-notch and I hope the residents of St. Paul realize what a gem they have there.

I need to add that we spent some time in my hometown of Fergus Falls at the newly opened Cafe 116 featuring coffee from the attached Stumbeanos roastery.  116 features a Synesso/Robur combo and some great coffees as well as a good looking lunch and dinner menu.  Definitely an oasis in northern MN and I hope that my hometown friends and neighbors will support them.

ryan c jensen, bga0156

www.peregrineespresso.com
Rusto
Rusto

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: SJ
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Fri Feb 12, 2010, 9:22am

Have to add Angry Catfish Coffee and Bicycle Shop in south Mpls to the list. Serving Intelligentsia from a Synesso. Well-trained baristas. Excellent cookies from the bakery next door. Peanut butter cookies rooked. Huge, thick, chewy and coated with sugar. A great place to get some heavenly espresso.
I went to Crema Cafe a while back. They also serve Intelligentsia. Looked good. Reddish brown crema. But the taste wasn't inspiring. I'll give them another shot down the road. Could have been an off day. But I suspect they are counter folks who happen to make espresso too as opposed to true baristas. They do have the best hot chocolate my wife has ever tasted! Super rich, super creamy.

Hey, man. Nice shot.
BryceP
BryceP

Espresso: PV Lusso, PID Silvia
Grinder: SJ, Virtuoso, KYM
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: FP, CCD, Melitta BCM-4C,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 x2
Posted Thu May 13, 2010, 12:51pm

My favorite place in the twin cities is Black Sheep in St. Paul.  Great coffee and service.  They also have a Clover and roast their beans with a Dietrich IR...something.  Nice environment for sitting and relaxing with friends/family, awesome sandwiches too.  Every time we are in MN visiting my parents we make a special trip to Black Sheep.

Last summer I checked out Kopplins.  It was good, was really surprised by the two Clovers.  The place is VERY small though, almost impossible to find a seat and the customer service wasn't amazing.  Still a fun, good quality shop to check out though.

Unfortunately, in my area we don't even have one good coffee shop, hopefully I can change that someday.
primacoffee
primacoffee

Posted Wed May 19, 2010, 6:37am

thanks for the info, just moved from the Cities for school last summer and wasn't all into coffee back then.  Now when I go home to visit family I have some places to try out!  I'm kind of surprised there are not more "Third Wave" shops on the east side of Minneapolis - Edina/Eden Prairie, etc.  I bet they'd do really well there...

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23682808876)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+