Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressme
espressme
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Conti,Cremina,Astra,LaPav
Grinder: Faema MPN,Mazzer SJ,Vario
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2007, 8:04pm
Subject: Re: Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?

As I said in the posts above, all are doing well. I spent the day Sat. at Kopplin's and Black Sheep.
This is still a good spot
www.overflowespressocafe.com
richard / espressme
 View Profile Link to this post
TruthBrew

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi
Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 3:15pm

I had a bit of a negative experience my first stop to Overflow.... I went in about two months ago asking the bartender what their favorite coffee item was and he said he "really didn't really like coffee caffine, so probably one of the non-coffee drinks".  Yikes.

I've heard that Megan, formerly of Kopplin's, is now working over at Overflow, so maybe it's changed?! Have you had a consistent barista you've gone to each of your visits there?
espressme
espressme

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 3:55pm

When I get there, Sarah is usually on the machine. Megan is good people!
Please pass on the negative comment to the web site! Those folks really seem to be trying to do a good job. And, remember they are in a College district and may need to have better feedback on the help.
Thanks and do pass the comment on to the web contact!
Thanks
richard
resting
resting
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2007, 6:38am

When I was in town recently for some meetings, i spent an extra day tooling around and hitting some places that i've been reading about over the past few months.  (my brothers both live in the area and if i have to spend a few days each christmas in the twin cities, i need to know where to go)

two places i was interested in checking out were spyhouse and common roots.  spyhouse is supposed to be the ultrahip hotspot on eat street where all the art students hang out.  the hipness didn't disappoint, but the coffee did.  i got an espresso, partly because i didn't want to take the time to linger and partly because i had a feeling i'd want to get the experience over with quickly.  i finished it but it wasn't easy.

common roots, on the other hand, apparently recently opened and delighted me with a two group linea (always excited to see an LM) and super jollys.  i ordered another espresso and was presented with a very drinkable, crema-laden shot that i sat and enjoyed in their beautiful space complete with reclaimed hardwood floor and some awesome wood tabletops.  it is on lyndale, about a block from french meadow and also features a  lunch menu and a few beers on tap, with an emphasis on local and sustainable foods.  they use peace coffee (which i still haven't decided how i feel about) and that espresso shot has been the best drink i've ever had using peace.  try www.commonrootscafe.com for their info.

i also stopped in at overflow and had a cup of coffee with the owner, Molly.  i think i accidentally ordered the "dark roast", so it probably the best representation of what they do.  but it was fine and i finished it.  another beautiful space with a balcony and patio.

ryan c jensen, bga0156

www.peregrineespresso.com
Somi

Espresso: Pid Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2007, 1:32pm

resting Said:

common roots, on the other hand, apparently recently opened and delighted me with a two group linea (always excited to see an LM) and super jollys.  i ordered another espresso and was presented with a very drinkable, crema-laden shot that i sat and enjoyed in their beautiful space complete with reclaimed hardwood floor and some awesome wood tabletops.

Posted October 16, 2007 link

I recently tried both Overflow and Common Roots.  I had a cappa at common roots that was disappointing.  The shot looked good, but had a strong burnt flavor that the milk couldn't hide.  The beans (Peace?) appeared to be badly over roasted.  Also, the froth in the cappa was mostly air and large bubbles.  It had no texture at all.  I am always surprised at experiences like this -- they had great equipment and a nice place, but weren't even close on the basics.

My overflow experience was ok.  I had a macchiato that tasted somewhat under extracted.  The milk had decent, but not great texture.  I got the impression I may have been their first customer that day.  It seemed like the place had greater potential though.  The venue is awesome.  I am going to go back and give it another try.  It is very kid friendly (toys, spacious, etc).

Any other places people have tried with any success?  (aside from Kopplins and Blacksheep)
fancy_pilot

Espresso: Saeco Classico
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2007, 12:08pm

Well, consider myself recalibrated.  The way I look at espresso and cappucino will never be the same . . . Kopplin's was definitely enlightening.  

First, the espresso - served ristretto.  So brief and fleeting compared to my usual "big gulp" 3 oz variety.  Almost too brief, I only wish I had not taken my 1 1/2 year old twins along with me, as half of my attention was devoted to making sure they didn't fall off their bar stools and end up wailing on the floor.  In the 3 small sips, the crema seemed to endure until the end.  It was not something entirely different than my best 3 oz'ers, but smoother, creamier and sweeter throughout - none of the sour at the start and bitter at the end I am used to.  I will need to go back with 2 fewer distractions, and be ready to really taste what is in there.  Consider yourself forewarned.

Second, the cappucino.  I have NEVER had microfoamed milk like that before, absolutely incredible.  It actually flowed as I lifted the glass!  I thought I new what microfoam could be, and relatively speaking my usual IS microfoamed compared to a *$s.  The milk was incredibly sweet and mild, with absolutely no off-flavors (I had a sip of the twin's milk, and itself was super sweet).  The espresso coming through nicely, without any harsh flavors.  If I hadn't known better, I would have assumed the cappucino was sweetened.

Now I find myself wanting to go back, to get a chance to see everything that I missed.  I believe I have seen a part of the third wave, and want to see much more.  Thank you to everyone who recommended them, and I would surely recommend them, as well.
TruthBrew

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi
Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2007, 6:25pm

TruthBrew Said:

I had a bit of a negative experience my first stop to Overflow.... I went in about two months ago asking the bartender what their favorite coffee item was and he said he "really didn't really like coffee caffine, so probably one of the non-coffee drinks".  Yikes.

I've heard that Megan, formerly of Kopplin's, is now working over at Overflow, so maybe it's changed?! Have you had a consistent barista you've gone to each of your visits there?

Posted October 15, 2007 link

I have to edit my prior comment, it wasn't he "didn't really like coffee" it was he "didn't like caffeine".
espressme
espressme

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2007, 7:19pm

Hi,
You brought out a hidden variable that we as caffeine freaks seldom if ever think about!

Yesterday (Nov.4) at Kopplin's Andrew (owner) was conversing about some of the difficulties getting and keeping a good milk supply. Among the problems are the changes of season and the differing feed for the cows. The dairy he buys from will adjust the feed of their cows in such a way to minimize the taste change problem throughout the seasons of the year. Coincidently, Milk changes were also mentioned earlier while I was at The Black Sheep talking with one of the Baristas there.

Unfortunately, I can only absorb so much caffeine; and get to the Cities only seldom and usually only on Sunday, that I have not tried some of the other mentioned places. So I am going where I know I shan't get a less than great shot.

Thanks for bringing up the subject about the qualities of milk!
sincerely
Richard
For me personally, I think, the real blessing of these shops is the personal participation of the owners with the clientèle and all the folks working for them who remember the frequent customers with a greeting and a smile!.

fancy_pilot Said:

Well, consider myself recalibrated.  The way I look at espresso and cappucino will never be the same . . . Kopplin's was definitely enlightening.  snip....
Second, the cappucino.  I have NEVER had microfoamed milk like that before, absolutely incredible.  It actually flowed as I lifted the glass!  I thought I new what microfoam could be, and relatively speaking my usual IS microfoamed compared to a *$s.  The milk was incredibly sweet and mild, with absolutely no off-flavors (I had a sip of the twin's milk, and itself was super sweet).  The espresso coming through nicely, without any harsh flavors.  If I hadn't known better, I would have assumed the cappucino was sweetened.
Now I find myself wanting to go back, to get a chance to see everything that I missed.  I believe I have seen a part of the third wave, and want to see much more.  Thank you to everyone who recommended them, and I would surely recommend them, as well.

Posted November 5, 2007 link

ntvandehey

Espresso: Not yet
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Manual Cone
Roaster: Wok & Patio Caddie Gas Grill
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008, 12:01pm

What I've tried so far...
(I'm just a newbie at tasting espresso and knowing good from bad - although bad is easy to tell)

*****Overflow - had a 4-shot served in cappuccino mug. It was terrific. I live a 5-minute walk from there and since then I've really wanted to go back, but I try not to waste $ as I'm saving up for a grinder and machine for myself. Maybe I'll have to try talking to the owner or any barista sometime to learn more about their shop, etc, but I'm kinda a wallflower so I'd sometimes just prefer to order, drink, and leav.

***Taraccino Coffee (NE) - Good espresso, served in a paper cup even though they had espresso cups on top of their machine.

***Dunn Bros - OK... I've been served in both paper cups and standard coffee cups - apparently they don't have espresso cups, which is disspapointing.

??? Espresso Expose - Nice looking shop that my fiance just loves along with all of her fellow graduate students.

?? Espresso Royale - Again, I haven't been there, but being that it is right next to Espresso Expose and everyone prefers them instead, it must speak of esprsso royale's quality

I think I'll try Kopplins and The Black Sheep sometime, but right now my vote goes to to Overflow.
jacbri
jacbri

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Tue Sep 23, 2008, 6:12pm

bump for local coffee meets!
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275546073914)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+