Regional: United States Central
Dallas-area coffee.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
hyoomen

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 5, 2004, 4:31pm
Subject: Dallas-area coffee.

Hey there...  name is Rob and my girlfriend and I are looking to join the 'elite' local coffee shop owners of Dallas.  Oh wait, there aren't any (outside of Micah, supposedly).  *sigh*

We're going to be surveying the local roasters, coffee shops, etc. as well as the options available to new coffee shops for equipment, training, specialty deliveries, etc.  In fact, we're waiting for our Intelligentsia sample pack to come in this week so we can begin our business journal.

On the list for places to check out are Addison Coffee Roasters, Espresso RMI, Torrefazione Italia, Ugly Mug, Metro Coffee Roasters, and so on.  Does anyone have further suggestions for the area?  Anybody have $10k they wanna donate so we can purchase an FB70? ;)

Anyway, good to join the list.  Looking forward to having some crema-laden months ahead.

-Rob
 View Profile Link to this post
micaha84

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Jan 5, 2004, 4:49pm
Subject: Re: Dallas-area coffee.

Man, it's great not to be alone in this great city of Dallas.  Let me know how things go.  I emailed you guys back about our coffeehouse in North Dallas.  So far the education of Dallas residents about great coffee has been hard and slow, but if you can make great coffee and get them to try it, they will be sold.  The roasters, well you'll see.  Machine techs, well that's another issue.  Let's just say it's a journey for us with a passion for great coffee in Dallas!
hyoomen

Posted Mon Jan 5, 2004, 5:10pm

Absolutely!  My plan (which unfortunately tends to mushroom whenever I think too hard) is that once a couple of new coffee houses have been installed in the metroplex, we can work on forming some sort of local guild to try and counteract the RIDICULOUS ubiquity Starbucks has plagued us with.  We're still far off in the beginning fringes of feasability studies.  Just playing around with how expensive it would be to locate down closer to Mockingbird & the SMU area, but if a shop in the middle of sleepy ol' downtown Carrolton can stay afloat, I'm MUCH reassured.

BTW, Megan (my better half) is a former SB Barista herself. ;)

Seriously, though...we might have to just have somebody go to Seattle and steal some La Marzocca FB70s for the both of us. ;)

Will get back to ya' probably tomorrow when we come by and visit your shop.

-Rob & Megan
micaha84

Posted Mon Jan 5, 2004, 5:29pm

Man, the plan sounds great.  And sleepy old downtown Carrollton, yeah, it needs some help.  We plan on moving the shop as soon as possible, but the whole thing fell into our hands so that we couldn't turn it down.  Marketing is a doozy, but you take what you can get.  We look forward to seeing you!
hyoomen

Posted Mon Jan 5, 2004, 6:01pm

See, marketing is probably what we'll be best at, as Megan is an artist in her spare time and I'm a former graphic designer trying to learn work ethics outside of the cushy cubicle jobs. ;)  That's another reason I want to see what else there is out and about.  I want to help everybody that is in the fight to bring better coffee to the Starbucks masses.  Perhaps in the mean time before we get our plans underway we can even give y'all a hand in making certain people know where ya' are.

BwAhAHhahaA!
hyoomen

Posted Tue Jan 6, 2004, 3:19pm

WOW.  Finally.  I finally 'get' espresso after tasting what is undoubtedly (and unabashedly boasted by the Barista as) the best coffee in the Dallas area at this time.  Crema, chocolate beginning, smooth mouth body, high citrus at the conclusion.  WONDERFUL.

And I have to thank Micah and his team for the experience.  He's been respectful enough to not advertise himself, but luckily I can give an objective plug for anybody in the Dallas area to run by Crema Coffee in downtown Carrolton and try these guys out.  Thank you for helping initiate the coffee culture of Dallas.  Here's hoping a few more of us can join the good fight.

Now if only I could stop jittering.  2 shots this morning.  2 shots this evening.  1 or 2 shots in a blended coffee beverage (mmm...Kona).  Add to that a wollop of excitement over what is starting up in the Big D, and I'll probably be awake for a week.
Jabes
Jabes

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky/ Maestro Plus
Posted Tue Jan 6, 2004, 3:24pm

That's it. I'm going to have to make the drive to Dallas to try this joint out.  Its pretty far from southwest Fort Worth, but sounds like its worth a weekend trip.
hyoomen

Posted Tue Jan 6, 2004, 3:31pm

Absolutely.  I used to live in Ft. Worth, so I know how that drive can be.  Just make a night of it and find another thing to do while you're here.  Make certain you start sort of early, though, because you'll probably want to try a couple of the drinks if you're like I was today.

It felt like the candy store.
elmore
elmore

Posted Wed Jan 7, 2004, 2:06pm

Check out Uncommon Grounds (on Oak St. next to Univ. of North Texas in Denton).  They run a beautiful store, have a friendly and knowledgeable staff, and carry a limited selection of some really classy (exotic) coffees.

Obzeet (North on Preston, near the Bush Turnpike) has the greatest outdoor pation I've ever seen.  Good jazz, cool tropical atmosphere, incredible desserts.

Legal Grounds in Lakewood has an innovative menu, a very comfortable decor, and a staff that truly cares about your satisfaction.

New Amsterdam (on Exposition near the Fair Park) is funky and eclectic, and a cool hangout for local artists.  

These are all independent stores (the only kind anyone should patronize), and they all reflect the personality of their owners, staffs, and their neighborhoods.

Coffee is a subjective art and everyone has to just find the kind of place that pleases them.  There is good coffee to be found and we all should work on getting the word out.

Hope you enjoy some of these shops.
JR_Brewing

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 3:53pm

Glad to see that there are other coffee drinkers in the Metroplex.  I am interested in trying out Crema Coffee.  However, I haven't been able to find the address.  Would someone post that for me?

Thanks.
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21857213974)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+