Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Dallas-area coffee.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
txsaluki

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Apr 30, 2004, 7:46am
Subject: Re: Dallas-area coffee.

And during lay-offs :)  Very good espresso.  Very smooth, but rich.  I think its Hawaiin. Ask for Betsy, the owner.  She looks like a young Ruth Buzzie (from Laugh-In).
 View Profile Link to this post
hyoomen

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 30, 2004, 10:37am

Interesting.  Will definitely have to check out "Art of Espresso" next time I'm visiting my dad back over in the Meadowbrook/Handley area.

As for Torrefazione, I've not been impressed with them over the course of three or four visits.  What time of day are you going there?  I guess I'm getting the "lunch-is-more-important" rush or something, because the espresso I've had is terrible.

Crema was great, but I think if they aren't switched over to the new owner yet, it'll be a matter of days.

Visited Main St Perks in downtown Irving last week and it was a pleasant experience; not the best espresso, but they use Ahh! and it was not as bad as Starbucks.

Went back to Coffee Haus Arlington (one of my old hangouts) this last weekend and talked to the PBTC for a while about Starbucks, espresso quality, and the possible demise of that location.  He was surprised to hear that there was an interest in quality espresso and was concerned about the quality and maintenance of their machines and beans, so there's hope yet.  Even if he did think I was a "North Arlington yuppie" for purchasing a doppio.  PFF!

As for Illy, there are probably a handful of places that serve it, but the only location that comes instantly to mind (besides Breadwinners, apparently) is Paciugo, a local set of gelato & espresso cafés.  Their Illy is definitely a notch above Starbucks, but still nothing in comparison to Jupiter House (with Cuvée's/Mike McKim's Meritage espresso blend) and Créma (which was serving Intelligentsia Blackcat).  We're trying to get samples in at the coffeeshop my gf just started working at (Standard&Pours) to get them off of this crap Segafredo, and so far Cuvée and Zoka seem to have been the best priced options, though Decatur St Blend wasn't too shabby.  Man, that Zoka Paladino was the best espresso shot I've ever had, though.  Also just talked to a nice woman who suggested a new independent coffeeshop with drivethru, café, and roaster would be opening up around NE Dallas in the next few months.

And the second I get 50-200k to play with, I'll open up my own. ;)

Keep the info coming, NTexans.  I'll let ya' know how my Austin reviews go sometime in the beginning of June.
mikey

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sylvia
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: no
Drip: chemex
Roaster: caffe rosto; SC combo
Posted Mon May 24, 2004, 9:06am

Here is my take on the Dallas coffee scene.  Roast your own!  That is what I do.

Actually, it sounds like I need to make a trip to downtown Carrollton.

There are a few places I have found that can produce a decent cup.

Don't slam me for this one but the Starbucks in my neck of the woods (Lakewood) is actually not too bad in a pinch.  Most of the others around town suck but these guys seem to do a pretty good job.  It is located at Gaston and La Vista.  I don't know why this one seems better than others.

There is another place in Lakewood called The Coffee Company.  I am not sure if he does espresso but he usually has a pot of coffee on and he roasts his own beans so it is typically very fresh compared to other places.

I think the Addison Coffee roasters know their stuff but I am not sure that they have retail space at their place.  I know they roast for Central Market and if I have to buy bulk, I will usually seek their stuff out.  They are good folks and seem to care about quality.

There is a new place on I-75 at Meadow called Kaffas or Khaldi's that roasts their own beans.  I haven't had their coffee yet though.

Another place that actually makes halfway decent stuff is the Seattle's Best Cart in the Love Field airport.

You would think with a market this big things would be better.  I would say find a place that roasts their own and buy from them.

Mikey
mikey

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sylvia
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: no
Drip: chemex
Roaster: caffe rosto; SC combo
Posted Mon May 24, 2004, 1:40pm

Hmmm....I guess I missed some other posts on here about the Crema Coffee house in Carrollton.  Are they no longer in business?  I hate to see a quality local shop go down.

I am looking forward to the final list of N. texas coffee houses!

Mikey
JR_Brewing

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Mon May 24, 2004, 2:28pm

Mikey,

Yes, alas, Crema was short-lived.  I also missed the opportunity to try it.

To answer your question about The Coffee Company (TCC), no, unfortunately they do not have an espresso machine.  It would seem like a logical extension for TCC.  On the other hand, they really don't have any sit-down space which I think would be important for serving espresso.

I am curious about the new place at I-75 & Meadow.  Does anyone know if they serve espresso?

The search continues!
Malibar
Malibar

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Mon May 31, 2004, 10:58am

hyoomen Said:

Yeah.  Coffee Haus is actually sort of a chain, though that particular location is merely using the 'name', franchise-style.  The one in downtown Ft. Worth was the best, but Sundance Square decided to have them replaced w/ a Starbucks.

As for the espresso, it's not bad at Coffee Haus -- just not great.  I had a cappuccino the time I visited that particular location and the bubbles were huge and the espresso wasn't so much bitter as mostly lacking in flavour (perhaps it was just too wet).  The doppio was good and strong, but very acidic for my liking.

The staff, however, was quite likeable and we stood around and talked 'shop' for a good 15 mins.

Posted February 3, 2004 link

Hey not that it's much use for DFW folks, but I worked at a Coffee Haus in Waco.  My feedback as far as your satisfaction with the drink: it really depends on your barista when you're in a CH.  At the one here in Waco, we had a couple really good baristi, and others that just didn't care.  I'm guessing it's the same up there.  Metro Coffee Grouppe's beans are decent, and I was definitely able to get some good shots pulled with them.  Of course, it's probably no Paladino, but it works.  

If you want the scoop on Waco-area coffee shops, I'll be more than happy to give you my input...

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JR_Brewing

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Posted Wed Jun 2, 2004, 7:57pm

We would certainly welcome feedback on Waco coffee shops.  If you have a strong recommendations, it might be worth a road-trip!  Speaking of which, I recently made it to Denton to try Jupiter.  I would agree with Hyoomen that it is in the top tier of N. Texas coffee houses.

In addition, I came across a new shop in Addison, TX on Beltline (3725 Belt Line Road).  It is called Dunn Brothers.  It is a franchise, based in Minneapolis.  This is their 1st location in Texas.  Most noteworthy is that they roast on-site.  In addition, they utilize a Cimbali machine and a mechanical tamp to ensure consistent tamps.  On the negative side, they did not pull my double-espresso directly into the cup.  Nonetheless, there was pretty good crema and a reasonable pull time.  Overall, I would say that they are pretty close to meeting my minimum requirements for a true espresso shop.  However, I would like to try them a couple more times to be sure.  

Finally, I will let each person make his/her own decision on the taste of the roast that they use.
Malibar
Malibar

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Thu Jun 3, 2004, 6:08am

As far as Waco coffee shops:
I'd love to pitch some rough evals in.  However, to give the best info possible, I'm going to try to revisit each shop over the course of the next week and take fresh notes, so you don't just get my (sometimes vague) recollections.

Shops to be reviewed:
Common Grounds
Coffee Haus
Cafe Cappuccino
Maybe Starbucks (what I'll probably do is include an eval of a particular location if it exceeds what my average Starbucks experience has historically been)

Gosh, sadly, I don't think I'm leaving any shops out... there aren't many here.  Maybe I'll check around to see if any of the higher-end restuarants serve espresso.   Yippee for Waco...  Check back in a week.

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BlacklandCoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Vetrano Rotary
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Not so much
Roaster: 5 lb. drum roaster
Posted Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:36pm

Dallas coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BlacklandCoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Vetrano Rotary
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Not so much
Roaster: 5 lb. drum roaster
Posted Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:36pm

Any new ideas from Dallas coffee geeks? I've been getting most of my beans at Dunn Brothers in Addison. Very nice place, extremely friendly and helpful folks, nice selection of whole bean coffee (freshly roasted in house daily), and well-made shots of espresso.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234764099121)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+