Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Dallas-area coffee.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
hyoomen

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 31, 2004, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: Dallas-area coffee.

We are Crema Coffee House located in historic downtown Carrollton one block south and east of I-35 and Belt Line Road on the southeast corner of Main and Broadway.
Phone # is 972-242-9574.

Hours are 6am until 5pm or 5:30pm through Thurs, then until 10:30pm on the weekends, I *think*.  Need to get that recorded officially.  Will let ya' know in the next few days (or whenever I get my little survey of the local coffee houses finished up).

Enjoy.
 View Profile Link to this post
JR_Brewing

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2004, 9:39am

Thanks for the address.  Looking forward to stopping by.
JR_Brewing

Posted Tue Feb 3, 2004, 9:43am

I found another coffee house that is worth checking out:  

Coffee Haus
1045 15th Place, Suite #159
Plano, TX 75074
972-312-8544

They use locally roasted beans from the Metro Coffee Grouppe in Grand Prairie.

Great espresso with knowledgeable staff.
hyoomen

Posted Tue Feb 3, 2004, 1:55pm

Yeah.  Coffee Haus is actually sort of a chain, though that particular location is merely using the 'name', franchise-style.  The one in downtown Ft. Worth was the best, but Sundance Square decided to have them replaced w/ a Starbucks.

As for the espresso, it's not bad at Coffee Haus -- just not great.  I had a cappuccino the time I visited that particular location and the bubbles were huge and the espresso wasn't so much bitter as mostly lacking in flavour (perhaps it was just too wet).  The doppio was good and strong, but very acidic for my liking.

The staff, however, was quite likeable and we stood around and talked 'shop' for a good 15 mins.

On the other hand, I work at WFM (the Preston/Forest store), but was picking up a shift at the Highland Park location yesterday and they consistently make the worst espresso I've ever had.  They make Starbucks taste like chocolate.  Blech.  I'm determined to fix their coffee sales and coffee bar/staff.
espressofan

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: francis!
Drip: illy
Posted Mon Mar 15, 2004, 7:25am

Cream Coffee is pretty good. Does anyone know if any coffee bars uses illy in dallas area. I am from houston but have been traveling in dallas area quite a bit and cant find any up there. I spoke to the distributor for the state but he said it was a new market for them and they just had a few restaurants so far and a coffee shop downtown dallas.   whoever it was that was starting the coffee shop should call this company. They seem to carrry quite a bit of other coffee shop products along with illy and they have a salesman in dallas. And..if you end up using illy you have to tell me where you are so i can get a cap from you.
JR_Brewing

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2004, 2:24pm

I don't know of any shops that use Illy.  I think the Segafreddo distributor is more agressive in the Dallas area.  

Within the Dallas city limits, I would recommend Torrefazione d'Italia on Travis Street, just South of Knox-Henderson.  While I can't guarantee the you will love the espresso, I can say that they do things the right way.

If you are staying elsewhere in the Metroplex, you will probably want to try one of the other shops.
espressofan

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: francis!
Drip: illy
Posted Thu Mar 18, 2004, 8:55am

FYI
I found a great spot on Lover Lane. I dont rememeber the address but the place was called breadwinners. Excellent,excellent coffee. Not sure what they were using for drip but they had illy espresso.  Not really a coffee shop i dont guess but they had to go coffee and pastries etc... i really dont know what you would classify this place as but it was neat
JR_Brewing

Posted Thu Mar 18, 2004, 9:17am

Yes, Breadwinners is certainly a Dallas institution that serves good pastries, etc.  I have never thought about them for espresso-based coffee but will have to give them a try.

I would still recommend that you try Torrefazione.  While they have some new employees behind the counter, the older ones make a mean drink, including some nice latte-art.  It seems to have the endorsement of the Italian expatriate community that is always in there.

I should probably add a disclaimer that the Torrefazione d'Italia chain was recently purchased by Starbucks.  It was part of the Seattle's Best acquisition.  However, they continue to use their own line of beans.  So, for now, there is not much similarity between the two stores.
txsaluki

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Apr 30, 2004, 7:20am

If you are in Fort Worth, try "The Art of Espresso" on Meadowbrook, off Eastchase and 30.  Head south on Eastchase for one block, first left.
Jabes
Jabes

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky/ Maestro Plus
Posted Fri Apr 30, 2004, 7:35am

Hi Don,
Thanks for the tip.  I've been looking for a place close to Fort Worth.  What is your opinion of their espresso?  

BTW, that's some interesting credentials you have there.  Pro Barista/Engineer.  I'm guessing you worked as a barista in college to pay the bills?
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233170986176)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+