Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
Goatherd
Goatherd
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Chupacabra
Grinder: Zassenhaus Knee
Vac Pot: Too clumsy/lazy
Drip: Ceramic #4
Roaster: Smart
Posted Sat May 12, 2007, 12:21am
Subject: Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?

Just wondering who's who in the Twin Cities scene.

Michael
Wandering Goat Coffee Co.

Coffee is an event.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressme
espressme
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Conti,Cremina,Astra,LaPav
Grinder: Faema MPN,Mazzer SJ,Vario
Posted Sat May 12, 2007, 3:35pm
Subject: Re: Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?

Goatherd Said:

Just wondering who's who in the Twin Cities scene.

Posted May 12, 2007 link

All I have found that is consistantly good to great is "Black Sheep" in South St Paul. There is another "Paradise Roasters" shop or two in the Twin City area. Check Paradise's web site. I will watch this thread and hope for others!
richard
PS, I have a 65 mile drive so I try to keep my selection to the best I have found. Also their owner came in 6th at the this last barista championships . Se another thread.
my 1
richard
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri May 18, 2007, 3:21am

espressme Said:

All I have found that is consistantly good to great is "Black Sheep" in South St Paul. . . Also their owner came in 6th at the this last barista championships . Se another thread.
my 1
richard

Posted May 12, 2007 link

I would concur with that.  Peter takes pride in his shop and his coffee.  He uses Paradise Roasters coffee and it is first class.  Stopped in the Saturday after competition and he was setting up his signature drink, free for the house.  Grabbed some of the Kenya roast he uses (Paradise Roasters) but he wouldn't accept anything for it because I really was after another coffee that he was out of.

Click Here (www.google.com)

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BillK

Posted Wed May 23, 2007, 10:07pm

The best two shops I know of in the Twin Cities area are Black Sheep, as indicated above, and Kopplins, across the street from Cretin High School in St. Paul.  If you enjoy truly great coffee, you will not be disappointed in either of these places.  Both use Synesso machines, both feature outstanding Paradise coffees, both have nothing but highly trained baristas, both are attractive and comfortable cafes, and both have excellent pastries/food (at Black Sheep, Peter's partner does all the pastries/sandwiches/soups on site, and the quality is on a par with the coffee).  

My wife and I stopped by Black Sheep today  to congratulate Peter (he wasn't there). We each had a Southwest-style chicken chili and split a brownie for lunch.  We then sampled Peter's competition drink.  I finished with a double shot of Paradise Classico.  By the time we were ready to leave, I had to peel my taste buds off the ceiling.  I am not kidding.
espressme
espressme

Posted Thu May 24, 2007, 5:50am

BillK "The best two shops I know of in the Twin Cities area are Black Sheep, as indicated above, and Kopplins, across the street from Cretin High School in St. Paul."

Hi and thanks for a new stop! I get to the cities about twice a month and am always open to a treat!
sincerely
richard
javaj
javaj
Expertise: Professional
Posted Thu May 24, 2007, 7:49pm

Paradise Roasters is not only the best roaster in Minneapolis, but one of the top ten roasters in the country (per Food and Wine Magazine).

So much so, that despite some small challenges in shipping, JavaJ in Roseville, CA (Sacramento area) is proud to be a customer.  And we even have a lot of options out here!

-JavaJ
Somi

Espresso: Pid Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri May 25, 2007, 1:50pm

Kopplins is very good.  Best part is that they have Clovers in addition to great espresso.  The clover makes some amazing coffee.  My understanding is that there are only 60+ machines in use in the world.  LA Times made a big deal about a shop in Southern Cal having one and Kopplins has two.  Definitely worth a visit.

Paradise is fantastic.  We are fortunate to have a place like this located in Twin Cities.  I like the Espresso Classico as much as Black Cat.
espressme
espressme

Posted Fri May 25, 2007, 5:57pm

Hello Gentle beings,
I am convinced that a drive to "The Cities" is definitely in the cards for Sunday afternoon!
Thanks again!
richard
PS Both  blends are in my top 3!
pjdiez
pjdiez

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Super Jolly, Macap MC4, 2...
Vac Pot: 5 FP's, Eva CafeSolo,...
Drip: Chemex, Mellitta, Bodum
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 25, 2007, 6:53pm

I usually avoid ordering espresso while traveling to avoid the (almost inevitable) disappointment, but I happened to notice some serious barista tattoos while on a caffeine visit and ordered a pull at the Artists' Grind on U Blvd in St. Paul. The results were excellent, and produced w/ purpose and care. This was a year ago, and the planets may have realigned, but I recommend a visit if you're in town/near by.
espressme
espressme

Posted Sun May 27, 2007, 6:01pm

Hi,
I found Kopplin's today! It is hidden a couple shops from the corner on Hamlin So. of  Randolph in Saint Paul. Park nearby and walk!
The folks are pleasant and I tried the "Clover machine" coffee, after a double Ristretto of "Paradise Classico." It was to my taste and I enjoyed it muchly.
They have other roasted coffees also. Prices are very reasonable and the trained help likes coffee!
Thanks
espressme
Kopplin's click here
And:
Black Sheep click here
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26303601265)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+