Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Black Sheep Coffee in Sioux Falls, SD
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Black Sheep...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Mar 12, 2007, 4:53pm
Subject: Black Sheep Coffee in Sioux Falls, SD

Pretty good shop.

http://snipurl.com/1cu4d

They've been there since 1991, apparently. It would be easy to tag this as a counterculture shop, but it's not so. The owner sez he gets an amazingly diverse demographic, and although I was in there during a lull, the few folks attending to their PCs or books at the time lent credence to that claim.

Anyone planning a stop coming through the state could enjoy a brief respite from travel at Falls Park, just 5 minutes off I90, and this shop is only 5 minutes further into the city. The shop's probably only 5 minutes from I29 as well.

I'll be getting my usual road drink for the drive back to Chicago tomorrow; a pair of doubles in something big and full of ice, plus some (but not much) half & half. My samplings there today were just fine.

Is anyone on these boards even from, say, within a hundred miles of Sioux Falls?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TruthBrew

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi
Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 7:14am
Subject: Re: Black Sheep Coffee in Sioux Falls, SD

270 miles from here in St. Paul. =)  We have our own "Black Sheep Coffee Cafe" too.  http://www.blacksheepcoffeecafe.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
shayner
shayner

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02 - Astra Gourmet...
Grinder: LSM SM95 - Cimbali Junior -...
Drip: Newco OCS-12 - Presto
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:29am

I grew up in Sioux Falls and tried Black Sheep on a visit once a year or two ago. The coffee was good so I gave their espresso a try and was dissapointed.  The barista had the grinder doser over half-full when the shop was mostly empty so as expected the espresso had virtually no crema and was pretty dreadful. My folks, who now live near Alexandria, MN, still pick up roasted coffee when they are in SF. Next time I'm in town I'll have to give them another try.

I will say I'm spoiled from PT's Coffee in Overland Park, KS and Kopplin's in Saint Paul.
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007, 9:00pm

Actually, on a subsequent visit I noted a few things that suggested to me that the staff may be a bit, well, isolated from the rest of the coffee world.

I don't understand that. I really don't. How can a shop with free WiFi be out of touch?

I also noticed one of the PBTC's tamping technique, and was a bit surprised at how careless it seemed.

They've been in business since 1992, I believe, and I have to contrast them a bit with Four Beans of Batavia (mentioned in another thread in this section). 4B is totally new. However, the owners did their homework, traveled around, took in the best training available anywhere, and this shows in their work (though I think they'll be tweaking their signature espresso blend for some time to come -- not that it's bad).

Of course, Starbucks has been open a LONG time, and things haven't gotten consistently better with time. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect projects well-begun to endure for long.

Black Sheep roasts a bit dark, too. They're a bit closer to the west coast than I.    ;-)
BillK

Posted Sun Apr 29, 2007, 10:18am

rasqual Said:

Black Sheep roasts a bit dark, too. They're a bit closer to the west coast than I.    ;-)

Posted March 15, 2007 link

I have been to both.  The first (and last, I am sorry to say) time I visited Black Sheep in Sioux Falls was about two years ago.  Their coffee is very reminiscent of Starbucks, in terms of degree of roast, which I do not prefer.

Black Sheep in St. Paul is the diametric opposite, in my opinion.  It is specialty coffee at its best, and you know it the minute you walk in and spot the Synesso.  The espresso is outstanding, the cafe is spacious and comfortable and beautifully done, and the pastries are made on site and are wonderful.  My wife - a non-coffee drinker - gives Black Sheep her imprimatur as an overall enjoyable experience, and if you knew my wife you would know that this is a high compliment.  We do a lot of cross-country driving, and we have been to a number of the better known coffee shops, ranging from Simon's in Boston to Caffe Luxxe in L.A.  As far as both my wife an I are concerned, none is as good from an overall perspective as Black Sheep, and only Simon's can compare in terms of attention to detail on specialty coffee preparation.  

St Paul is actually blessed (!!) with two comparable shops that serve outstanding specialty coffee and provide a great overall experience.  Kopplins, like Black Sheep, has a Synesso.  Kopplins also has a couple of Clovers.  The shop itself is smaller than Black Sheep, but similiarly well done.  Talk about serious coffee people!
rasqual
rasqual

Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 9:22pm
Subject: Cafea Coffee in Sioux Falls, SD

I was overjoyed to find Cafea this time back. Hadn't been in town for a couple years; they've been there 3, I think.

Very good. They're on top of their game. Their roasts are apropos of the bean, so to speak.

They do their espresso well, and they'll brew cups by any darned method you ask for. They're also buying good beans.

A couple of their guys will be traveling to Chicago to compete at Coffee Fest this spring.

They also have an excellent location and a unique space sharing with a wine store. I forgot to inquire whether it was the same owner.

Black Sheep, alas, doesn't hold a candle to this.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Black Sheep...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203931093216)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+