Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Dallas-area coffee.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mikey

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sylvia
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: no
Drip: chemex
Roaster: caffe rosto; SC combo
Posted Wed Aug 17, 2005, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: Dallas-area coffee.

try White Rock Coffe.  I just answered another post on here with some info on them.  I think they roast a pretty good espresso blend.  I had a shot in their shop once and it was excellent.  I had a latte from them once and while very good, it did taste a bit like the machine needed to be cleaned.

I have been buying by the pound from them and am very pleased with their coffee.

We really need to try to support folks like this in Dallas who are trying to make a go of it.  I may have to try Dunn Brothers.  Never heard of it.

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
JR_Brewing

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed Aug 17, 2005, 2:34pm

Mike,  are these guys based in Dallas or is the name just a coincidence?  If so, do you have an address?  Thanks.
mikey

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: sylvia
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: no
Drip: chemex
Roaster: caffe rosto; SC combo
Posted Wed Aug 17, 2005, 2:41pm

yes they are in Dallas.  On Northwest Highway near flag pole hill and the police substation (if you know that area).

Here is their website:

http://www.wrcoffee.com/

Give them a try if this is not too far from you.
JR_Brewing

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2005, 3:08pm

Ironically, there is a shop with same name in MN!  Here is the address for our shop:

White Rock Coffee
10105 E. Northwest Highway, Dallas, TX 75238
214-341-4774

I can't wait to give them a try!
BlacklandCoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Vetrano Rotary
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Not so much
Roaster: 5 lb. drum roaster
Posted Thu Aug 18, 2005, 5:00pm

I'd like to compile a list of places in the Metroplex (preferably the Dallas side and east) that serve espresso in ceramic espresso cups. I'm not interested in Starbucks and others that serve coffee drinks and even espresso in paper cups. The ones I know of are:

Dunn Brothers - Addison
Kafa Coffee - Dallas near Walnut and 75
French Pear - Rockwall
Whit Rock Coffee (I assume)

Who else?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky/ Impod tamper
Posted Sat Aug 20, 2005, 6:09am

Mikey and all....well.......looks like the cat is out of the bag....big article in the Morning News about White Rock Coffee today. CONGRATS BOB and NANCY!!!!! I have not found a better espresso in the metroplex. (see my earlier post "Dallas Espressoless". It's still sad there are not more indi coffee shops, but perhaps now the Dallas public can get a taste of the way it should be at White Rock. Keep up the good work ! I'm going back today to get  more of that fine espresso roast.....just hope the line isn't too long !      - John
hyoomen

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2005, 8:01pm

I'm definitely looking forward to checking out White Rock Coffee.  My gf tried 'em and liked the place and the buzz, but said they refused to make her a Cubano, which automatically gives them some demerits in my book.  Hopefully they'll change their mind.
BlacklandCoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Vetrano Rotary
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Not so much
Roaster: 5 lb. drum roaster
Posted Fri Sep 2, 2005, 2:58am

Well... I've been to White Rock Coffee several times since I last posted. Very nice. I've bought some very good green beans and Bob (owner) has been very helpful. He'd done a great job with the place. Looking foreward to stopping by on a weekend for some music... or maybe open mic night on Tuesday. I'm gonna have to practice up.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 8:13am

I'm going to McKinney for the weekend.  Has there been any coffee house growth in the area?  Can anyone recommend any place to get drinkable espresso based drinks?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JR_Brewing

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 12:02pm

I am not sure about McKinney.  However, if you time to do a little driving, the current 'gold standard' for espresso-based drinks in Dallas is Odd Fellows.  It is in South Dallas in the Bishop Arts District.  Don't let the fact that they serve food fool you, they make great coffee.  (My experience is that food and great espresso seem to mutually exclusive.)

I am also generally suspicious of any place that rates highly in non-coffeegeek publications but, again, Odd Fellows appears to be the exception.  Below is a link to fairly recent review of indy coffee houses in the area.  Overall, I think that the writer got things right though I haven't been to all of the places yet.  

Finally, if you do find a great place in McKinney, please post it to this site.

Thanks.

Click Here (www.dmagazine.com)

http://oddfellowsdallas.com/
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Dallas-area...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222259998322)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+