Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
UK Members
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > UK Members  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 2:11am
Subject: Re: UK Members

Hi Duffy, still around, read the board most days but don't have that much time for posting nowadays.

I need to knuckle down and get on with the green bean list project. Let me know if you're interested in helping out ;)

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
DUFFY

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: RANCILIO S20 MIDI
Grinder: RENEKA ROSSI
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 1:42pm

Hi Ian,Keeping busy then,im not at that stage yet where i would fancy roasting me own beans i did see some green beans on our local market the other day but dont have a roaster i have found a coffee shop owner who does roast his own and is quite happy to sell me a kilo only roasted yesterday so cant really get much fresher unless on the day,I must say since you advised on fresh beans i have enjoyed alot better tasting coffee and your spot on with fresher the better,id like to help out anyway i could but still feel so much a novice compared to you members of many years and Knowledge,i look forward to the day i can give helpfull advice rather than have to ask but i guess thats what this website is all about.Bye for now,Regards,Duffy
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 4:44am

Yes, fresh beans, good grinder and hot water - anything else is an optional extra.

I'll try and get the list done for when you start roasting ;)

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
Pantini

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona, Santos
Roaster: Oven, popper, heatgun
Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 2:50am

DUFFY Said:

Hi All.Do we have that many members over here? I just wonder because of going on the Regional section and seeing afew posts for United kingdom,do we take our coffee as serious as the rest of the world being known as tea drinkers,i do see most of the coffee shops in my Town full so i guess we are catching up drinking it but maybe not talking about it,Coffee drinking has come along way over the years with the introduction of these famous named coffee shops and some shops selling small amounts of coffee related stuff.

Posted April 5, 2014 link

Hi.  It's an interesting question.  It seems like you can identify certain demographic groups among those who like real coffee in the UK.  My take would be that there's the Hipster guys and gals who are driving the 'Third-Wave' coffee shops in metropolitan areas and their similarly sophisticated urbanite clientele.  Then there's folk who embrace the chain coffee shops as a lifestyle choice and enjoy the coffee without necessarily looking any further for quality.  

Among people who make real coffee at home, there's the gourmets and those who appreciate quality and tradition.  Perhaps also a group who predominantly enjoy the equipment side of things or want a traditional espresso machine as kitchen art.  Anyway, that's my guess at a few of the types of people drawn back to real coffee.

It's also worth remembering that England was an early adopter of coffee having it's first coffee house in Oxford in 1651, we just lost our way sometime between then and WWII ;).  In the 1950s, there was an espresso revival with lever machines a common sight in London.  As with a lot of things here though, it is often driven by fashions, trends, image etc, rather than a real appreciation of quality.  Those who are drawn to the craft and quality side of things are still pretty small in number in the UK but obviously growing fast with the new awareness of real coffee that the 3rd wave has brought.

As to why there aren't many limeys posting at CG, I don't really know.  I've been a member at half a dozen coffee sites over the years and they all seem to wax and wane.  People gravitate towards where they see most people posting I think.
Hal_E_Lujah

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Aug 19, 2014, 4:54pm

A customer in my shop today recommended me to this site, a canadian man. I slipped away to sit with him and talk coffee for a cheeky half an hour and he said I should sign up to talk to my fellow geeks.

Based in London, anyone else? I was in Manchester too doing freelance consultancy stuff for some independents but it's still very slow going up there. The Manchester Cup is on in November though :)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > UK Members  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.202255964279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+