Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
CoffeeGeeks in and around Newcastle / advice for a new machine
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > CoffeeGeeks in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
wondermac

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jan 11, 2014, 2:16am
Subject: CoffeeGeeks in and around Newcastle / advice for a new machine

Hi everyone. I'm both new to this forum and new to the UK. Just moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if there are any coffee geeks in the region that could recommend some good coffee shops, cafés, etc.

Secondly, I also want to buy a new espresso machine and grinder. I don't have a budget for a fancy top notch gadget. I am looking at something for £700-800 including a grinder. So far I have been looking on the upper end at the QuickMill 3035 (little bit over 800 at Amazon) and in the middle at the Sage Barista Express (about 550). I am however somehow reluctant to buy a machine/grinder combination. Now should I start with the standard beginner's package of a Silvia and, for example, a Graef CM 80? I also looked at the Fracino Piccino, although I don't really like the looks of it.

Here some more background:
What are we drinking: both milk based coffees (latte, cappuccino) and espressos.
How much we are drinking: two or three milk based drinks in the morning, then couple of espressos during the day, maybe a latte in the afternoon.

I'd rather buy a new machine than a used one as I don't feel very comfortable yet to judge if it is still in good order.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning all about the perfect espresso here.
 View Profile Link to this post
BobbyChong

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Spaziale S5
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E/Mahlkonig K30
Vac Pot: syphon
Drip: V60
Roaster: Monmouth
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 4:07pm
Subject: Re: CoffeeGeeks in and around Newcastle / advice for a new machine

I'm not going to be a great deal of help to you but I'm posting because I feel bad that nobody else has.

I've never used an espresso machine for home before, but if I were you I'd consider getting a grinder with most of your budget and using other methods of brewing for home (drip coffee, aeropress, cafetiere, stovetop, syphon etc). You can get fantastic results with these cheaper brewing alternatives instead of getting an espresso machine where you may not even be trained to get the full potential out of it.

Just my two cents.

Check this article out about grinders and how/why to select one:
Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
Johnboy63

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 11:36pm
Subject: Re: CoffeeGeeks in and around Newcastle / advice for a new machine

Hi Wondermac

Just came across your post and thought I would drop you a line.  Did you get your machine yet ? I have a Rancilio de Silvia V3,it's quite some machine but makes you work at learning the variables of producing good coffee.  I can provide you with some info re coffee shops in Newcastle just drop me a word, cheers John.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > CoffeeGeeks in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.167673110962)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+