Regional: United Kingdom
UK Members
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > UK Members  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DUFFY

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: RANCILIO S20 MIDI
Grinder: RENEKA ROSSI
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 12:38pm
Subject: UK Members

Hi All.Do we have that many members over here? I just wonder because of going on the Regional section and seeing afew posts for United kingdom,do we take our coffee as serious as the rest of the world being known as tea drinkers,i do see most of the coffee shops in my Town full so i guess we are catching up drinking it but maybe not talking about it,Coffee drinking has come along way over the years with the introduction of these famous named coffee shops and some shops selling small amounts of coffee related stuff.Went into a well named coffee shop the other day as liked the look of the picture of the flat white when it arrived didnt look anything like the picture outside the shop!!
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 3:52pm
Subject: Re: UK Members

Just by coincidence this popped up on the Beeb website today - seems we have our American cousins to thank originally  ;o)

click here
DUFFY

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 2:20am

Never saw it but thanks for making me aware,I had a read and I did enlighten me I thought it was a French and Italian thing but now remember watching those old American war films and come to think of it westerns with cowboys round the fire drinking it.Had a cup of instant the other day due to me Rancilio still being out of action and yuk I had to switch to tea!.

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 10:01am

Bear in mind that article concentrates on the fact that most "coffee" drunk in the UK is still instant, and that's mainly what came over from the USA in the middle of the last century - unless you include the old traditional coffee and chicory gloop beloved of my Granny.  

Don't think that's what was around in the times most Westerns were based - more likely pretty rough roasted stuff just boiled and boiled and boiled.....  ;o)  

I don't know that many people who make what would be considered "proper" coffee - certainly not of the older generation anyway.  Even a good friend who I got a Technivorm for a couple of years ago offered me some new expensive (and tasteless) instant "Barista" stuff from Nestlé a few weeks ago.  When visiting I generally ask for tea - it's a safer bet.

Perhaps it's why so many people say they don't like coffee ?

Yup loads of coffee shops around - mostly the big chains so you know what to expect.  Sadly, although I live in one of the largest cities in the UK, there are only 2 (sic) places I know where I'd order an espresso.
DUFFY

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 11:20am

Ah,I just remember that called camp coffee in a cough medicine shape bottle in liquid form i cant remember the taste but for the heck of it might buy a bottle if they still sell it,funny that im sure my much loved gran had a bottle stashed away,ive been thru most of these Nestle Barista type coffee granules but none really did it for me,do you have your own coffee machine and grinder?
DUFFY

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 11:24am

DUFFY Said:

Never saw it but thanks for making me aware,I had a read and It did enlighten me I thought it was a French and Italian thing but now remember watching those old American war films and come to think of it westerns with cowboys round the fire drinking it.Had a cup of instant the other day due to me Rancilio still being out of action and yuk I had to switch to tea!.

Posted April 6, 2014 link

DUFFY

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 11:29am

Sorry about reposting that,i made a spelling mistake so tried to correct it,thinks i should have left it.Bit worried my old school teacher might see it and mark me down( lol).

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 11:59am

DUFFY Said:

.....do you have your own coffee machine and grinder?

Posted April 6, 2014 link

Far too many !

You can still get Camp - but they now have to call it chicory and coffee, as it's almost 95% chicory.

They also had to change the label several times because of complaints of racism......

(edited)
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 5:38am

There's a programme on tonight, Beeb2 9pm. From the brief description it may be about the franchises though.

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
DUFFY

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2014, 12:59pm

Hello Ian,Was wondering where you got to,havent heard from you lately,Regards,Duffy
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > UK Members  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231379032135)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+