Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
A proper espresso machine?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > A proper...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Esinem

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 8:15pm
Subject: A proper espresso machine?

I was lucky enough to get a La Pavoni pro grinder for peanuts so I have a good foundation. I have had various used Gaggias and a couple of Delonghi's, one new, which have all died after a short period...and, yes, I did clean them regularly.

I decided a need a solid machine and without enough research, I bought a La Cimbali M30 Dosatron on-line not realising that it  was total overkill, even for two coffee addicts, and would leave no room in my small kitchen. It's now for sale: Click here

What would you suggest as a properly made and reliable alternative? We both tend to drink latte, although good Italian style shots will appeal to my partner (she lived there and has barista exp). Rancillio Silvia?
 View Profile Link to this post
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 8:41pm
Subject: Re: A proper espresso machine?

Cheers mate!  If you like milk drinks, I wouldn't recommend the Silvia.  I'm not sure what your budget is, and proper is relative, so I'll throw out a mix: Crossland CC1.5 (if available in 230v), La Spaziale Vivaldi II or Dream,  Elektra Sixties, Londonium.

BTW, you guys have a great coffee scene going on.  I've been to several coffee shops around London, and have never been disappointed.
Esinem

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 12:58am

I'm not sure what your budget is, and proper is relative, so I'll throw out a mix: Crossland CC1.5 (if available in 230v), La Spaziale Vivaldi II or Dream,  Elektra Sixties, Londonium.]

Many thanks, I did a quick search but didn't find any of those here, except commercial 2 grp La Spaziales. Not heard the names so I'm not sure if we import them commonly :-(

Yes, we are remarkably civilised in London these days :-D
Mrboots2u
Mrboots2u

Espresso: Londinium 1
Grinder: Eureka mythos
Roaster: All over the place
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 6:12am

I'm not sure what your budget is, and proper is relative, so I'll throw out a mix: Crossland CC1.5 (if available in 230v), La Spaziale Vivaldi II or Dream,  Elektra Sixties, Londonium.]

Many thanks, I did a quick search but didn't find any of those here, except commercial 2 grp La Spaziales. Not heard the names so I'm not sure if we import them commonly :-(

Yes, we are remarkably civilised in London these days :-D

Hi the londinium machine is made In the uk. I have one , it's a lever machine and makes great coffee .
A budget would be good to work with as that machine is 2k, plus you would need a good grinder to pair with it .
The cc1 is a USA machine and not imported , there are a few places in the uk that sell the vivaldis .
Esinem

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 6:40am

I clearly needed to look harder :-) I found some on eBay, e.g. used Vivaldi II 771. Londinium seem to promote Olympia Cremina. Is that what you meant?
Click Here (londiniumespresso.com)

It seems they sometimes show up on eBay:
Click Here (www.ebay.co.uk)

Like I said, I have a pro La Pavoni grinder so no probs there.

I guess it depends what I get for my M30. I was thinking more like a few hundred . I'm fairly handy so a well-built used machine doesn't scare me as long as I don't have to get into electronics.

I saw a not much used compact commercial Astoria single group on eBay go for around 260. What are they like?
Mrboots2u
Mrboots2u

Espresso: Londinium 1
Grinder: Eureka mythos
Roaster: All over the place
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 7:32am

Olympiaswhen In good condition are capable of making some exceptional espresso by all accounts,like any machine  they have their quirks and are not plug and play so to speak. There are loads of great resources out their on how to repair ,and re condition them . Orphan espresso have a loss of clips of youtube on rebuilding a cremina from scratch .  Levers will give you a different taste profile to a pump machine .
I've not used the Astoria so can't comment . Dropped you name an email too.
ilcaffedio

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 11:55am

I suppose I should have posted links:

La Spaziale Dream might be an exclusive to Chris' Coffee in the US.
Esinem

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 2:35pm

I can see I could be getting into big bucks for the next step up. Nobody warned me about the high cost of this slippery path of addiction. Maybe I should try something cheaper like crack cocaine? :-D

Thanks for the links. I feel shamed at my lack of diligent Googling now.

The next question is do I bite the bullet and indulge in uncharacteristic extravagance? Wait for a lucky buy? Extend my kitchen and buy shares in a power plant to run my Cimbali? Put up and shut up and take advantage of a 360 deal on new Silvia?
ilcaffedio

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 3:35pm

Some don't like the fact that it's mass-produced, but I think even the Breville double boiler might be better than a Silvia.  It's a double boiler, and you should be able to pull a shot, and froth at the same time.
If you're ok with taking a risk on a machine that you may need to repair, I'm sure you could find a used single-group at a restaurant supply store for a low price.
ilcaffedio

Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 3:40pm

This is the Breville (branded Sage in the UK) http://www.sageappliances.co.uk/the-dual-boiler.html
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > A proper...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223346948624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+