Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
Gaggia carrezza
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > Gaggia carrezza  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Johnboy63

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 9:41am
Subject: Gaggia carrezza

Hello fellow coffee lovers,
I'm sure this is the most commonly asked question on the forums, but why should I be any different than the rest !
I love my coffee, got into it a couple of years ago when my wife bought me a Barista taster course.  I have been using a basic DeLonghi machine, which produces espresso and froths milk but doesn't steam milk very well.  My wife has bought me a Gaggia carrezza and I would like the opinion of other coffee lovers with regards to a good machine to buy, have been considering the Rancilio de silva, but the Gaggia looks better.  Advice would good before I open the box on Xmas day and make my first brew.  I would probably like to spend around 300 to 350, the Gaggia cost 280, this is probably a machine I will want to stick with for a good few years and especially want to buy something that will produce a nice milk texture, as well as a good crema. Also using a Bosch grinder which seems pretty good unless I'm told otherwise as I know the grind is equally important.

Many thanks for any advice received.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 2:06pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia carrezza

Welcome to CG.  

The new Gaggia Carezza for 2013 sounds Similar to a New Baby Twin if it has the thermoblock as it sounds, a New Baby if not.  They leak and the Twin has thermoblock and "board" problems.  The package may look a lot nicer, if it is like those, it is not a great machine.  I think it has a thermoblock plus boiler as I saw "simultaneous brew" noted.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/627321

No mention of a 3 way solenoid or adjustable OPV and those are both desirable.  

I would get the Classic, or consider another brand based on knowledgeable reviews in espresso forums.  Price and availability vary by location and I am not sure what is a good buy in the Classic range in your area.

The Classic is a classic for a reason :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Johnboy63

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 9:57am

Hi D4F
Thanks for your reply.  Treat me as a newbie to the use of coffee terminology, I don't know what a 3 way solenoid or OPV is!  Excuse my ignorance, this is why I want to benefit from other members mistakes and good experiences to allow me to end up with a coffee machine I will have pleasure owning and using.  Just a little more info regarding needs: only really make one or two or cups a day, really want to master milk texture and a good crema. But machine needs to look good in kitchen too.

Again many thanks to all for your thoughts
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 8:22pm

Johnboy63 Said:

But machine needs to look good in kitchen too.

Posted November 25, 2013 link

My wife allows the stainless Gaggia Classic on the counter :)

Johnboy63 Said:

I don't know what a 3 way solenoid or OPV is!  

3 Way explained

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/3way/intro.html

OPV or Over Pressure Valve is a way to adjust brew pressure.  Normal accepted value is 9 bar and most Gaggias come with 11 - 12 bar adjusted down from the "15 bar pump."  the higher pressure is to allow pressurized baskets and force fake crema.

If you buy a Gaggia, get the Classic :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Johnboy63

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 3:09pm

Hi all
Thought I would give a update to my post.  After un boxing my Gaggia carezza on Xmas day pretty quickly I discovered it wasn't the machine for me.  Looked great on the bench, however struggled to produce a good crema, designed so that you were not meant to tamp down coffee in basket, I guess as soon as I realised this it wasn't going to be right for me.  Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a shiny new Rancilio de silva v3.  I hope I have made a good choice.  After a couple of days playing with my grind setting I have managed to produce a crema, however no where near as good as I had hoped for.  Using a krups burr grinder , do I need to replace this also ? If spend anymore money on coffee gear my wife will leave me !
Any starter advice from other silva owners would be helpful

Regards

John F

D4F Said:

My wife allows the stainless Gaggia Classic on the counter :)

3 Way explained

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/3way/intro.html

OPV or Over Pressure Valve is a way to adjust brew pressure.  Normal accepted value is 9 bar and most Gaggias come with 11 - 12 bar adjusted down from the "15 bar pump."  the higher pressure is to allow pressurized baskets and force fake crema.

If you buy a Gaggia, get the Classic :)

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > Gaggia carrezza  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21035695076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+