Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
jamaican blue mountain - lawes estate ?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > jamaican blue...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bluemountainlover

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:12am
Subject: jamaican blue mountain - lawes estate ?

hi folks, im new to this forum and i wanted to ask a question about jamaican blue mountain coffee. my girlfriend bought some for me for my birthday last week and now im completely hooked - its delicious ! of course this coffee is expensive so i went on a google mission to find the cheapest JBM coffee.

i did find some on ebay, this was fairly cheap but it was from the Lawes estate. i then google for the Lawes estate and found absolutely nothing, so im dubious as to whether this is proper jamaican blue - any thoughts ? i havent purchased any yet !
 View Profile Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:26am
Subject: Re: jamaican blue mountain - lawes estate ?

In general, I am leery about anything "Jamaica Blue Mountain":
  • It is hard to trust "JBM" is true JBM unless you have a reputable supplier
  • There is a lot of false marketing hype around JBM: JBM "Blend" and JBM "Style", leading to deliberately misleading and confusing claims
  • Extra hype leads to overinflated prices ($50/lb?  jeez, vs $8/lb for green beans that I roast myself and even $16/lb locally roasted)
  • Jamaica (the country) doesn't have much protection around the JBM brand or how the coffee is processed
  • People tend to drink JBM only on special occasiona, so they save it -- meaning it may have been on the shelf waaaaaaay too long; if it doesn't have a roast date on it, I'll ignore it
  • There is plenty of very similar coffee for a much lower price (e.g., Kona varietals about $18 green, $20-$25 roasted)
  • The fun for me with coffee is exploring, meaning trying different kinds of coffee, not always drinking "the best"

That said, it is worth trying once if you trust the source.  I have a friend who brought back a whole pound of fresh-roasted beans from her visit to her hometown in Jamaica.  I drank that stuff up in a week, it was very pleasant.  But would I pay $50 for it? no.

Donald Varona
bluemountainlover

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:37am

hi and thanks for the reply.

the JBM my girlfriend got me was Clifton Mount Estate from Sea Island Coffee here in the UK. i have done a bit of research and it looks like Sea Island are the UK importers for :  

http://www.clydesdalebluemountain.com/jamaica.html

seems legitimate enough !

the problem is, i have now found this page :

Click Here (www.jamaicans.com)

where it says that JBM is only 'proper' JBM if it is "grown on the estates of; Mavis Bank, Silver Hill, Moy Hall or Wallenford"......well Sea Island import from the Clydesdale estate ! do you think Clydesdale is not 'proper' JBM ?
BlueMountainCoffeeEurope
BlueMountainCoffeeEurope
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 7:14am

Hi Everyone,

I just joined Coffee Geek. I work for Sea Island Coffee and, with regard to the comments below questioning authenticity, I can vouch that we sell 100% Grade 1 Export-Grade Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee from Clifton Mount Estate .

The information from the Jamaicans website is incorrect. We have a lot of information on Clifton Mount Estate on our website under the 'Our Estates' section.  We purchase the Grade 1 Export-Grade Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee from Blue Mountain Coffee (Europe) Limited - the principal importer and representative of Jamaica blue Mountain coffee in Europe.

Finally, with regards to the comments of svyerkgeniiy - I agree that there is some stale JBM to be found if it has been roasted and packed in Jamaica. The beans sold domestically in Jamaica (eg by tourists on holiday) are domestic grade, not export grade. A major difference. A classic Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee is about balance and after-taste: soft, creamy, delicate.

Hope this helps and please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best regards,

Guy wilmot
bluemountainlover

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 12:01pm

BlueMountainCoffeeEurope Said:

Hi Everyone,

I just joined Coffee Geek. I work for Sea Island Coffee and, with regard to the comments below questioning authenticity, I can vouch that we sell 100% Grade 1 Export-Grade Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee from Clifton Mount Estate .

Posted August 7, 2012 link

yep and a nice pouch of your JBM arrived on my doorstep this morning :)

i didnt really believe that website, i did a fair bit of research on your company and i can see you guys are the real deal.
gaggia_fanatic

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Aug 12, 2012, 1:59am

Any idea how can I get my hands on some pouches of 100% JBM?
I am based in Australia.
Any advices greatly appreciated.
BlueMountainCoffeeEurope
BlueMountainCoffeeEurope
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012, 8:20am

Hi there,

Well, Sea Island Coffee ships internationally and have shipped dozens of time to Oz without trouble. Otherwise, I'm afraid we don't know who roasts JBM in Australia...does Google come up with anything?

All the best, Guy
jeffw123

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:11am

bluemountainlover Said:

hi folks, im new to this forum and i wanted to ask a question about jamaican blue mountain coffee. my girlfriend bought some for me for my birthday last week and now im completely hooked - its delicious ! of course this coffee is expensive so i went on a google mission to find the cheapest JBM coffee.

Posted August 6, 2012 link

i see from your profile you are from nottingham. i myself am not from nottinhgam but i do go to uni there and there is a little coffee shop in the city centre that sells jamaican blue mountain coffee, you can have a cup of coffee or you can buy it in bags of 100g or 250g, it has only opened recently and i went in last week, its realy nice. i didnt have the jamaican blue, i had a costa rica honey or something like that (theyve got loads of beans and they grind whatever you want straight to cup). its called 'the coffee house of nottingham' and its on hurts yard....hope this helps good luck on your quest ;)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > jamaican blue...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222333908081)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+