Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
Milk Steamer for Home needed!!!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > Milk Steamer for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
fredfal

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea 1EE
Grinder: K10 WBC
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: Bodum pour-over
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 2, 2008, 2:36pm
Subject: Re: Milk Steamer for Home needed!!!

What about a consumer "espresso machine"?  You know, a steam toy?  

They sure do suck for making coffee, but seems like they have everything you need to steam milk, they're electric, and they're cheap.

-Fred
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SlowRain
SlowRain
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Thu Oct 2, 2008, 8:11pm

CraigA Said:

the burner itself is only 1"!

Posted September 30, 2008 link

Yeah, I meant the burner.  Funny, the burner looks bigger in the picture.

Can someone explain the pros and cons of using a stove-top steamer like the one in the picture JR posted.  Like spikus, I'm curious about the exact same thing.
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Thu Oct 2, 2008, 8:24pm

spikus Said:

yeah i think so....im not quite sure what i'm looking at...can you explain how it works and where i can get it?
cheers

Posted October 2, 2008 link

The large handle is to hold it with, of course.  It has a thumb-operated steam valve just above the handle (I think I'd rather have a knob).  You can also see the safety valve (or "pop-off" valve) on top to vent the steam if the pressure gets too high.  On the side is a one-way valve that allows air to come IN as it cools down.  That equalizes the pressure so it doesn't collapse, and so you can get the top off.  The top just threads on like a jar.  Mine has a 4-hole tip like some of the heavy commercial machines.  The tip is removable, but I don't know if it interchanges with any major brands.

You're in the U.K., so I don't know where to get one.  Mine was off eBay (USA).  Is that enough?

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
spikus

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Oct 3, 2008, 12:25am

yeah! sounds exactly what i'm looking for, i could prob get it sent to canada and get mates there to send it to me.  one last question...what's it called? as in if i'm googlin it would it be stovetop steamer, milk steamer, milk foamer and any idea what name in brands im to look for?
thanks jack - really helpful!
alex
SlowRain
SlowRain

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Fri Oct 3, 2008, 5:27am

JR, I have a few questions:

How long have you had it?  How long does it take, from start to finish, to boil the water and steam enough milk for one drink?  What's it like to clean?  Any other suggestions or things to consider when buying one?
bonaparte

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Babby Gaggia ER0249
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Tue Jan 19, 2010, 4:26pm

JR Said:

Something like below, right?

Posted October 1, 2008 link

It's a Cogen Stovetop Milk Frother. Cogen-Progetti are apparently no longer in business but some info about them is available here (from an old US based retailer)

I too have been looking for a stove top steamer here in the UK, with no luck so far. It appears that since Cogen-Progetti went out of business only Bellman of Taiwan still make stove top steam units.

I've found a few retailers in the US (Fantes, Seattle Coffee Gear and 1st-line) but none in the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Does anyone here know of UK or European retailer for the Bellman CX-25S or a similar stove top steamer?

(I know this thread is 2 years old, but it's relevant to my search so I'm resurrecting it)
etrulsson

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:18am

While this is an old thread, I thought it worth mentioning what I have been told regarding these stove-top steamers: primarily that they do not produce a dry steam. This is due to the rather simple design; the result is diluted milk.

mR
etrulsson

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:22am

Can anyone direct me to a stand-alone steamer that is not the sub $100 unit (neither 'frother' nor stovetop), and is also not a $2.5k-3k commercial grade unit, such as the Bunn 35800.0401? Is there anything for home use that falls in the $200 to $400 range?

mR
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > Milk Steamer for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25054693222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+