Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
Speciality Coffee Roaster in Bristol
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > Speciality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
liveasy89
liveasy89
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Iberital MC2 Auto (conical...
Drip: Whittard
Roaster: FreshRoast plus8
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2007, 1:30pm
Subject: Speciality Coffee Roaster in Bristol

This is an overview and review of the first speciality coffee roaster that I have actually seen in the UK.

I am a first year student at Bristol University, I moved to Bristol this October from Southampton. As a general feeling I believe that the UK speciality coffee market is tiny, I used to home roast in southampton, and would order green bean from 'hasbean.co.uk'.

However living in university halls, I did not want to risk setting off heat/smoke alarms with my coffee roaster, so I went in search for somewhere where I could buy freshly roasted gourmet coffee. Unfortunately in my coffee loving life I had not previously seen such a place. One of my collegues (listening to my passionate ramblings on coffee) recommend a shop here in bristol called 'Two Day Coffee Roasters' (on St. Michael's Hill next to the 'White Bear' pub and near St. Michael's hospital).

As the name suggests this shop sells coffee that is not older than 48 hours from roast (and often same day roast). Upon entering the shop I had my first ever coffee obsessed discussion (face to face) with someone who actually was as passionate about the drink as I am. It was like finding a light in the dark. The owner supplied COE and was actually gratified to know that I even knew what Cup Of Excellence was about. He said in similar words, "I can count the people who know what COE is on two hands." I was his first customer who knew this much about speciality coffee and he was the first speciality roaster I had met. He has an intimate knowledge of his coffees and seeks the best roast profile for each one.

I was so pleased to get my hands on decent coffee after a week of pretty grim stoge. I've tried COE Costa Rica Libano from him, roasted brilliantly, syrupy notes and brilliant mouthfeel shone through. Also one week I had a slightly darker roast Kenya AA Gethumbwini from him (which wasn't at it's best) that had an amazing creaminess. However the following visits he told me how he was unhappy with his roast of the Kenya and told me to try it when he'd roasted it just past 1st crack, the coffee was the fruitiest I'd ever tasted.

This man's commitment to coffee is symbolised by the fact he has Schomer books sitting on the shelf behind the counter. However he does find sad the fact that the market of speciality coffee in England is tiny and that people drink COE and his other brilliant coffees with milk, destroying the nuances of the flavour and the efforts put into making the drink what it is.

I encourage others to visit if they can and to reply to my post with thier personal experiences of speciality roasters (or lack of).
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
scook94
scook94

Espresso: Izzo Vivi
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona "Kitchen Deluxe" Size D
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2007, 4:53am
Subject: Re: Speciality Coffee Roaster in Bristol

Great read! It really is a joy to find and have a natter with someone else who shares this love of coffee, isn't it?

Keep in with him and you may even get a part time job out of it! ;o)
 View Profile Link to this post
Matisse

Expertise: Professional

Grinder: Gaggia mm
Drip: Aeropress/ Cafetiere/ Bodum...
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2007, 2:58am

news flash!!,

frank has got an espresso machine in the shop now, so during your convo about the COE he has roated you can sip a lovleu espresso as well.

mat
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
liveasy89
liveasy89

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Iberital MC2 Auto (conical...
Drip: Whittard
Roaster: FreshRoast plus8
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2007, 8:43am

yeah i know he pulls some awesome shots, the best ones are the ristrettos :)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mrvincenttso

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Apr 14, 2011, 1:43pm

I realise his coffee shop when I was in my final year in Bristol in 2009, his roaster attract me into his shop, when I order his cappuccino and drinking it.
It was the best cappuccino I have ever drink (I was still drinking starbucks at the time).

I then started speaking to him and he was very friendly into telling me about coffee (Although I realise I was annoying him quite a few time =.=! ), I literally go to his coffee shop Mon-Fri for espresso and cappuccino.
He then tell me (Because I told him I want to learn coffee) to start learning Cupping, thats where my coffee madness truly begin.

I cupped or shall I say profiled every single coffee in his shop, even from batch to batch. And comparing with what they feel about it.
He shop provided me with the essential resource to learn cupping, high quality and fresh beans.

I then attend the Barista course in Hong Kong, realising that there aren't much consent in coffee freshness after speaking to different barista in higher graded coffee shop.
But after personal testing on coffee freshness, I agree with what Frank originally told me :).

Now, I am doing MSc in Sheffield and I still ordering fresh coffee beans from Two Days Roaster every week, enjoying cupping new coffee and using their House Blend to pull espresso.
I have not ever been to a coffee shop that satisfy me, since the day I went to Two Day roaster.
sesfinklbabyvox

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 1:04am

Maybe you can check NORTH COFFEE TJ-067 MODEL:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTQ1MDg3NTAw.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTQ1MDg5ODIw.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTQ1MDgzNzc2.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTQ1MDgwNDQ0.html

It is suitable for home market. electric and gas you can choose...
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:48pm

One of the best specialty coffee roaster.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
somersetpaul

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 5:11am

I'm going to be a heretic here. I tried them about 2 weeks ago and found them snooty towards my (noob) attitude.  I dont have the experience or knowledge of alot of you good gents and ladies so wanted someone I could ask to help me with my adventure. Perhaps it was the heat, perhaps it was because it was just after  lunch but I only received monosyllabic replies to my questions (which I am sure were correct answers), did NOT get as much as a smile and came away thinking that I wouldnt set foot in that place again.
This is a shame for me as I am keen to soak up as much expertise as possible and support a local retailer. My background is in retail and, had I watched a member of my staff behave so, I would have thought that they needed additional training.

Perhaps it was just me!
KLIX

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 2:33am

It's great to hear that there is a roasters here in the south of England. I don't go to Bristol often, but I'll definitely visit when I'm next in town. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't brilliant Paul - I'll let you know how my experience goes!
stayingawhile
stayingawhile

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Ceramic Slim
Drip: Chemex and V60
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 6:59am

That's great, Bristol not too far over the bridge from me.  Might well take a look.  Thank you for posting!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > Speciality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226002931595)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+